To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by knitwit45 »

Jacks, that could have been my first dog, Butch. He was a beautiful red cocker spaniel, and was well known in our neighborhood. Years after he was gone, we found out that he had several daily stops, several neighbors called him Grandpa, and held back treats for him. The best story was, every Sunday he attended the neighborhood church. (We went to a different church, several miles away). It was quite small, and each Sunday, he would come in and lay down at the back. The minister said he always knew when he had preached too long, because Butch would get up and leave! :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

OMG! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That''s too funny, Nan! I LOVE stories like this. Butch sounds like such a character! That's exactly like this dog in the documentary, it could have been him.

I know this is a dog thread, but we used to feed this stray cat, Fluffy we called her. She was a grey long hair, just beautiful, with green eyes, but skinny. She would come every day and have whatever we could scrounge to give her. She loved bits of yellow cheese slices. This was when Alice was little, and we came to feel like Fluffy was our own cat, even though I'm allergic. She would come every day, and lounge under our deck, coming up for cheese or leftovers at lunch time. She was always very well behaved, never scratching or chasing the birds. Eventually, she was showing up at our house for breakfast lunch and dinner. Whenever we sat down to eat, she would magically appear. She would arrive at about 7 in the morning, and meow loudly to be given some tidbits. Then we noticed she was going to my neighbor's door as well. Then we found out she actually belonged to the folks on the corner, 4 houses down from us (a lasting friendship started between us from this). Turns out that Fluffy, who had a different name, and was about 19 years old, was getting breakfast lunch and dinner at everyone's house on the street! She lived to be about 23, and in the end was very unwell, the wasting disease that made her eat all the time was getting to her. She stopped coming by and we didn't see her for months. The day before she died, she came through the backyard to visit us. We made a big deal of her, petting her and showing her we were so happy to see her. I think she was saying goodbye. I still miss that cat.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I love the Butch story, Knitwit! I had a childhood friend whose German shepherd, Maggie, would follow him to my house. Occasionally, she'd show up without him! He'd call and say, "Is Maggie there?"
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Interestingly there is a programme on tonight about the secret lives of cats, cats being filmed with little cameras attached totheir collars to see what they get up to. I'd love to know where mine go to.

What you describe of Fluffy is exactly what Fred did, God bless him, he'd been so ill yet he came out of hiding and gave us all a big love, especially the kids he nutted them and kissed them then the next day he was in a coma, we knew he was saying goodbye and he knew it too. It makes me tear up just thinking of it.

Lara was a very good girl, she's very subservient and utterly content, she's everyone's best buddy.

My Grandad's dog used to sit outside the pub whenever Grandad was in there (says enough about his character) he could never have a secret pint with that dog.

I love your story about Butch Nancy. Was he trying to say something about your church?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

we knew he was saying goodbye and he knew it too

You bet he did! We humans have all this logic and reason that complicate things. Animals are all instinct. They know what's going on.

My Grandad's dog used to sit outside the pub whenever Grandad was in there

My dog would have gotten tired of waiting!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ha! Poor Grandad, no sneaking a drink. I bet there were times when he tried to fool that dog into sitting in front of the hardware store.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

charliechaplinfan wrote: I love your story about Butch Nancy. Was he trying to say something about your church?
That made me laugh out loud. We were Baptists, and the little neighborhood church was...gasp...Methodist. They DANCED! They DRANK! HEATHENS!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm pretty certain my Dad wanted to hang with the Methodists.....

Butch had a regular route he traveled every day ( leash laws were unheard of) and we couldn't figure out why he wasn't eating very much, but still gaining weight. Mom finally had to call the neighbors and ask them not to feed him. You talk about a p.o.'ed dog! He pouted for days.

Another of his/Mom's contretemps: she decided he must be smothering under all that gorgeous red hair, so she had the vet shave him (no such thing as groomers, either). He was so mad or embarrassed or both, he hid under her bed for several days, passing enough gas to float the Zeppelin.... :roll: :roll:
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

he hid under her bed for several days, passing enough gas to float the Zeppelin

My brother does that.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

LOL!

Mom finally had to call the neighbors and ask them not to feed him.
We had to stop feeding Fluffy too, she didn't want the regular food anymore! she was getting into trouble and not coming home nights, just hanging with the bad crowd. :D

Poor Butch! We had this happen to Lily too just this last time she got clipped. We took her to a new groomer, Pets Plus, and they literally shaved her! As it's growing out I see that it's quite patchy and not done well at all. I need to find my old groomer! I wish she hadn't moved.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

this is Murph,with his reindeer. Since he was a puppy, he has dragged it around by its pointy nose, until he finds just the right spot, then very carefully tucks the arms and legs under him, and sucks on the nose. ew, that nose is pretty sad looking by now. "Woobie" as we like to call him, has a jingle bell on his jaunty red hat, and when I hear that bell tinkling, I know Murphy is either very tired, or very stressed.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ohhh he's so cute! Who's a wittle cutie?! Who's a wittle cutie?! Awen't you so sweet, you wittle adowable thing!

Sorry, I lost my head at the sheer cuteness of Murph and Woobie. :oops: :oops:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

He IS adorable....until he wants to go out at 2:30 in the morning...

But he makes up for it, he's a real snuggler.

I'll try to find a really good picture of his bro, Bentley. Silly name, I'm not responsible for that... I try calling him Bennie, but it just doesn't perk up his ears.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

love the name Bentley!

I'm trying to find the picture of Lily with all her "snow" around her.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Sorry about the eyes, photobucket couldn't fix them. He is a beauty, and a 24 hour piss ant. He reminds me of the kid in your class who was ALWAYS in trouble with the teacher....makes me love him even more! He and Murph are best buds, Murph mellows him out, ands he keeps Murph on his toes. I keep them in "puppy" cuts, all that hair is just too much to try and maintain.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Alice says oh, he's so cute! Me too.

I don't blame you for keeping them in puppy cuts, it would be ridiculous to keep them nice like that all the time. At our house, they'd remain that nice for only about 10 seconds before becoming a tangled mass of matted fur!

Even as we speak I am pulling birdseed out of Lily's fur. A squirrel has been taunting her on our deck and every time she runs out to catch him she ends up running under the bird feeder, where the sparrows are gaily tossing millet all around to get to the good stuff. Who knew millet sticks in a dog's coat?