To Dream of Dogs

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: To Dream of Dogs

Post by JackFavell »

I'm so nervous. Lily is getting spayed today.

The doctor already called me back, because Lily was already going back into heat, even though she just got over her heat cycle a month ago. The doctor asked me if I wanted to wait another month, but then I am sure she would be in the middle of another cycle, she goes into it every 3 months instead of 6 like most dogs. The doctor asked me if she was exhibiting any heat related behaviors, being more aggressive, or nesting behaviors, I didn't think so. She said that if they operate now, any nesting behaviors would keep happening, they'd be locked in, the dogs think they are constantly getting ready to have puppies. I didn't think she was terribly nesty yet, I checked her day before yesterday and she was totally fine and no heat behavior at all. Then yesterday, she seemed a bit swollen, nothing to speak of, just a tiny bit of swelling in her lower parts, not even on her tummy or teats. The doctor confirmed that. I told her to go ahead and do the operation. Then when I told Andrew he said that she had been tearing apart her toy last night. Why do husbands always tell you the wrong thing? I wanted comfort, a nod that she was not acting any differently and that I made the right decision. Now I am worried that I've made the wrong decision, even though she wasn't really nesting much at all. I hate feeling like maybe I did the wrong thing. I know she'll be OK, the doctor said it wasn't a safety issue at all, that the operation would be a little longer that's all, fifteen minutes or so. I hope she's OK. The house is so quiet!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Don't experts recommend spaying and neutering? Like, by all means? I think you did the right thing!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yes, they do. They told me that she can get cancer easily and other disorders without spaying.

The doctor called and she's waking up. She came through just fine, really well, apparently. I can pick her up at 5:30.

Now we have to keep her from running or jumping for seven days.

Anyone know where I can find a doggie straitjacket? :D
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

G'morning. How's your little girl doing today? Are you still allowed to take her for a walk? And what happens then? Hope Lily's okay.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Sorry I didn't check in... Lily is much better this morning. She was very out of it last night when we brought her home, but she's aces today. She got progressively better all day, and is now back to her old self. She got very energetic on her last walk, at about 4 oclock, and tried to drag me down the hill around the corner, but I wouldn't let her, since the doctor said not too much exercise for the first few days. She's already jumped up and down off the couch before I could stop her, when the doc told me specifically no running or jumping for 14 days. :shock: That's probably not going to be prevented. :D Her stitching seems tight and she is back to her old tricks. Hasn't eaten a lot, but she got some scrambled eggs this morning which perked her up considerably.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Glad to hear she is doing better!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm sorry I wasn't around, I know how I'd feel if it was Lara. There's no way to stop animals jumping on to furniture even if they've had an op, It's happened with Molly the cat who was bounding over big heights a few hours later. You did the right thing, if Lily is going into heat so often there's never going to be a right time, they won't do the op until a month or so after heat. i'm glad she's getting better.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I have no story, guys. I just love her:

ABBY with her toy.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, Lily's a maniac now! she is now in full blown false heat, I imagine it's like the guys in war movies who still think they have their legs when they've been amputated. She's humping everything and ripping apart her toys in frenzied nesting behavior. Her stitches are fine despite extreme active behavior, jumping and running, which has abated a little this afternoon, I think because she took her last pain pill last night. She dragged me down the hill for a walk this morning, so I thought maybe it would wear her out. I think it did the trick. At night she's been all snuggles, and drove us mad with whining to get up on the bed with us, so we let her the last couple of nights. Then she tries to dig up the sheets and blankets into a pile so she can burrow into it, over and over all night long. It's been fun. Tonight she's sleeping in her own bed.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I appreciate the dogs on bed thing. That's been the cats territory for so long and now it's Lara's. She does sleep in her bed or on the rug but every so often she'll jump on the bed and lick our faces, which is a strange feeling. I don't stop her though, it's nice to be loved so much.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I woke up to Lily licking my closed eye this morning. Andrew caved and put her on the bed last night.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I've been busy lately, and not home much. Now that that has passed, Sugar is extra affectionate. She appreciates having her person home again! She's even a little better behaved. A LITTLE. We're still talking about The Shug. The World's Great Nuisance!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Shug is a good girl, as long as you are around! :D

Lily's been acting better yesterday and today, because I took her for a medium long walk yesterday and a long walk today. A tired dog is a happy dog!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Woof! ZZzzzzzzzzzzz!

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Haha!