The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by movieman1957 »

Let me add my congratulations on your job situation. I remember how worried and discouraged you were. Good for you for meeting it head on. I hope the season will allow you to enjoy the memories of your grandparents rather than the sorrow of their absence.

Thank you for the reminder that in the midst of your year there is still much for which to be grateful. Thanks for sharing with us.

Merry Christmas.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
helenbaby

Post by helenbaby »

Hi everybody--Refugee from the TCM message boards here. Madame Cutter told me about this board yesterday, when I was in despair at the wasteland the message boards at that other place had turned into. I see many of my comrades are also members here. Glad to see all of you and hope I'm welcome. I promise not to start any trouble. My whole purpose of belonging to message boards is to talk about my favorite movies & my favorite channel & not to get into a fight with anyone. That is beginning to become impossible elsewhere. From my perusing of this site last night, this board does seem like a true oasis. I hope I'm welcome.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Of course you're welcome. Movies is what we like to talk about. Once is a while we'll disagree but it is always respectful. Name calling is unheard of here. You dive in, look through some threads and pull anything up, even if it is old.

Any questions about anything just put them out there and we all will be happy to help.
Chris

Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Helen,

Welcome to the Oasis! I think you find it not nearly as argumentative and negative as the other place and you will likely see many familiar faces here as well.

So, thank you for joining us and I look forward to talking movies, TCM and etc, etc, etc with you in the days ahead!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

feaito

Post by feaito »

Welcome Helen,to the Oasis "supreme" on the net....the haven of film buffs!!
klondike

Post by klondike »

feaito wrote:Welcome Helen,to the Oasis "supreme" on the net....the haven of film buffs!!
And a Sanctuary for folks with open minds & neighborly manners!
Welcome indeed, Helen - anything we can do to help you feel at home, don't hesitate to ask; you'll find that at this site, the moderators & administrators strive to be proactive & cordial, and take great pride in our growing community!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

The Christmas decorations are down, the tree stuffed in the attic, (I always feel like the Grinch and Max when we are accomplishing that task), and I've stashed the last of the treats so I'll have to hunt for them. It was a wonderful holiday and I am looking forward to good things this year. I wish all the best in 2011 to all my film friends. Birdy

Fernando, If you've reported, I've missed it...did you get your white Christmas?

Helen,
What are your favorite movies? I tend to favor 30s comedies and musicals.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Birdy wrote:Fernando, If you've reported, I've missed it...did you get your white Christmas?
Hi Birdy, Yes I got a White Xmas of sorts, because on the night of the 25th and the morning of the 26th Raleigh NC was covered with som inches of snow and we actually got to play and have fun under the snow. It was quite unforgettable and new for me. On the sad side, I watched the news and I realized the disastrous consequences of the snow in northern States such as NY, which was indeed worrying.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Helen, it's lovely to have a new member, I hope you'll be happy herw with us.

Fernando, I'm so pleased that you got your white Christmas, it sounds like you had a wonderful time.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Alison, I'm still having a wonderful time in GA. Greetings!!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Fernando,
In my part of central Illinois we got about 5 inches of snow Christmas Eve which fell during our dinner and family party at my parents. This made us a little nervous worrying about the drive to go home, ranging from 5 miles to 45 miles. Everyone made it home safe and sound in time for Santa (which was the best gift ever) and Christmas morning was beautiful.

Now? A huge meltdown and no snow left1 I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. b
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Birdy, I am enjoying my stay thoroughly...and now in Fort Benning-Columbia GA, the weather has been quite warm.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Part of it is good news. (The other part is the expense could not have come at a worse time.)

So my daughter gets a warning light on her car. We plop down $75 for a new battery and then the time it takes her to get about 10 miles out on a big highway her alternator belt breaks. We scramble to get our son, who can do some mechanical things, to get to her. In the meantime while sitting in her car eating her dinner she posts on Facebook that she is broken down on the side of the road. Her good friend sees it and tells her dad, who is a mechanic, and he says let's go.

My bride finally gets the right part and Steve, bless him, replaces a belt and alternator right there on the side of this highway - in the rain.

I'm no good at this stuff but if he needs someone to help hold things or hand him things on his next project - I'm there. Dinner is in order too. Thanks Steve.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

we are so blessed to have friends in our lives, aren't we? And to all those kind souls who don't even know us, but will stop to help....God Bless you!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Chris, I am so glad to read that things turned out so well for your daughter after that breakdown, thanks in part to the miracle of technology and good and generous people in your lives.

On another note, this is for our own dear Knitwit! Are you poised to be one of the select Kansans who will soon (well, 2012) be accessing the Google Broadband that has just been announced for a major test drive in the neighborhood of Kansas City?

The progressive part of me thinks what is next? (Hover crafts to work? Molecular transporters at every Seven Eleven?).

Another part of me shudders to think that this new system, allegedly hundreds of times faster than conventional broadband, will transform social life in KC, with everyone walking around with their eyes down and thumbs flying while texting or talking at the top of their lungs with invisible people in public places, revealing every moment of a private world one never hoped to glimpse. Oops. That's already happened, hasn't it?

In any case, I hope that you will keep us posted on the brave new world Google is bestowing on your "peeps."
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks