The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
klondike

Post by klondike »

silentscreen wrote:
Alison: "Noble kind; of the noble sort." Suits you Alison! :)
As a matter of fact, I have a grandson named Noble . . of course, I call him O'Toole, but he's a jimcrack dandy either way. :wink:
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

I'll bet he is klondike! I have a step grandson named Austin, but my son calls him "Ozzie." It's appropriate.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Thanks Brenda,

That makes one of us! It wasn't until after I reached legal age that I began to appreciate the advantages of having a name other then "Tom, Dick or Harry" (sorry guys, no offense intended!) Remind me sometime to tell you how I came about the name "Hollis" in the first place. It's not your everyday means of naming a baby, that's for sure!

Happy Holidays to you! and a joyous New Year!

Ho-Ho-Hollis
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Hollis wrote:Thanks Brenda,

That makes one of us! It wasn't until after I reached legal age that I began to appreciate the advantages of having a name other then "Tom, Dick or Harry" (sorry guys, no offense intended!) Remind me sometime to tell you how I came about the name "Hollis" in the first place. It's not your everyday means of naming a baby, that's for sure!

Happy Holidays to you! and a joyous New Year!

Ho-Ho-Hollis
You're welcome Hollis. You really do have a cool name. I haven't heard it before. Mine came about because of an actress named Brenda Marshall. She was married to a rather famous actor, William Holden, but later changed her name I believe. But that was where my mother first heard the name. By the way, Baby "B" is being named "Annabelle." That will be the spelling of it.

A rather curious union does the earlier "Brenda" have with Bill Holden.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0550782/
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's a lovely name, Brenda.

Good news, I believe Santa is loading up his sleigh as we speak :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:It's a lovely name, Brenda.

Good news, I believe Santa is loading up his sleigh as we speak :wink:
Yep, and Rudolph is in the lead. :wink: All I want for Christmas Santa baby, is to get over my bronchitis. I've been good, I really have! :)
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

and me my tonsillitis :wink:

I think I'll start a thread on Christmas pressies, it's quite near now.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

OK Brenda, Here goes,

I was named after someone who nobody in my family had ever heard of, let alone knew! My mom wanted to name me with a name starting with "H" to honor the memory of my Grandfather Herman, who had passed on long before I was born. Not being able to come up with one she liked, (Thank God, I was almost "Hubert" or "Horace",) she opened up the Philadelphia telephone directory to "H" and started leafing through the pages. When she came to the last name "Hollis" she decided she liked it, my father agreed, and she went no further! Unfortunately, they didn't save the page from the directory so I 'll never know whom to thank for the moniker!

As always,

Hollis
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hollis, your name must have been somewhat popular up here in the northeast, back in 1910; my Grammy Wilber chose it for her third child (my Mom's next older brother), and to the best of my knowledge, it never turned up anywhere in the family before that!
I do homage to my Uncle Hollis (whom pals growing up nicknamed "Hawk") nearly everyday; whenever I have to summarize something I don't fully understand (you know, "best guessing"), I follow it up with his favorite homily: "At least that's what the weasel told the milkman!"
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

H, I thought your name seemed familiar to me. One of our customers' first name is Hollis.
I was named for my red-haired grandmother, and her mother before her. I didn't know this for a long time, because my grandmother was "Speck" to everyone who knew her. The freckles and red hair had faded, but she was Speck her entire life. (thank goodness I just got "Nancy", and NOT the Speck)
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Well Nancy there is something else we share - red hair and freckles. Of course my hair has more gray in it (but I still have it) but the freckles on my arms are still there. I hardly ever ewar a short sleeve shirt as I would just as well cover them up. This naturally made summers rough for me when I was a kid as I used to get pretty crispy pretty quick. No sun block then. There was always someone who wanted to play connect the dots on me.

My first name is Joel but my mother saw fit to call me Chris.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

the red hair was enhanced for years, I finally went "Phooey!" (shades of Felix Bressart) and I'm turning into my grandmother!!!! I was spared most of the freckles, but still turn crispy with too much sun.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

My mother-in-law -- now a mere 100 years & 4 months old -- fell on Tuesday and fractured her hip.

The Good News: Those of you who had "1 hour" in the "How Long After Getting Into Her Room After Surgery Will She Say 'I'm Ready To Go Home Now'" pool are winners.

Doing fine. Surrounded by family (4 children, 2 sons-in-law, & 3 grandchildren at the hospital this morning holding her hands as she went into surgery).

They grow'em tough in those Greek villages.

She will deliver my eulogy.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
klondike

Post by klondike »

ChiO wrote:
She will deliver my eulogy.
I'm not disagreeing with ya, Buddy, I'd just rather it doesn't happen anytime soon! :(
feaito

Post by feaito »

Hello my friends, today I am back from the Clinic and I'm much, much better. The pancreatitis evolved very well and I am almost at normal levels again. I'll be resting at home on medical leave until next Tuesday. Thanks to all of you who showed concern via PM and in the "What Silents & Pre-Codes Have you Seen?" thread.

Sincerely,

Fernando