The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning all.

Well, it only took 28 years, but my hometown Major League Baseball Team, (the beloved and beleaguered) PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES are once again WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!

Here's hoping it won't be another 28 years before they eo it again!!!

As always,

Hollis
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Natural Highs:

1 Falling in love.

2 Laughing so hard your face hurts.

3 A hot shower.

4 No lines at the supermarket .

5 A special glance.

6 Getting mail.

7 Taking a drive on a pretty road.

8 Hearing your favorite song on the radio.

9 Lying in bed listening to the rain outside.

10. Hot towels fresh out of the dryer.

11. Chocolate milkshake (vanilla or strawberry).

12. A bubble bath.

13. Giggling.

14. The beach.

15. Finding a 20 dollar bill in your coat from last winter.

16. Laughing at yourself.

17. Looking into their eyes and knowing they Love you

18. Midnight phone calls that last for hours.

19. Running through sprinklers.

20. Laughing for absolutely no reason at all.

21. Having someone tell you that you're beautiful.

22. Laughing at an inside joke with FRIENDS

23. Accidentally overhearing someone say something nice about you.

24. Waking up and realizing you still have a few hours left to sleep

25 Your first kiss (either the very first or with a new partner).

26. Making new friends or spending time with old ones.

27. Playing with a new puppy.

28. Having someone play with your hair.

29. Sweet dreams.

30. Hot chocolate.

31. Road trips with friends.

32. Swinging on swings.

33. Making chocolate chip cookies.

34. Having your friends send you homemade cookies.

35. Holding hands with someone you care about.

36. Running into an old friend and realizing that some things (good or bad) never change.

37. Watching the expression on someone's face as they open a much desired present from you.

38. Watching the sunrise.

39. Getting out of bed every morning and being grateful for another beautiful day.

40. Knowing that somebody misses you.

41. Getting a hug from someone you care about deeply.

42. Knowing you've done the right thing, no matter what other people think.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Hollis, rubbing it in, says:
Here's hoping it won't be another 28 years before they eo it again!!!
28 years? 28 years! Around these parts we pray for World Series Championships to come that often.

Starting our 2nd century without one,
A Cubs Fan
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Nancy:

"Running through sprinklers" reminded me that my wife and daughter have for years jumped in puddles during a spring rain.

"Getting mail." One thing I still enjoy doing on occasion is write a letter. It gives me a chance to say things differently then I might verbalize them. I don't get much mail but it is a pleasant surprise. For Mother's and Father's Day every year I write them a letter. No ard can adequately say what needs to be said.

Hollis:

Congratulations. I hope you got to watch the games. I, more than that, hope you are feeling better.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

knitwit45 wrote:
42. Knowing you've done the right thing, no matter what other people think.
That flashed me back to what my dear old Grammy used to say: "Doing what's right, when all others stand against you, is what puts steel in a person's backbone!"
Coincidentally, her younger son, Hollis, my beloved axiom-rich uncle, WWII vet, cheerful brawler, cracker-barrel sage & part-time career alcoholic once advised me: "If the world's good to ya, kid, you'll find yerself a lassie with stardust in her eyes, honey on her lips & just enough steel in her spine to make ya nuts!" :wink:
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hollis wrote
Well, it only took 28 years, but my hometown Major League Baseball Team, (the beloved and beleaguered) PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES are once again WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
H,
I just saw a t-shirt that said
Philadelphia Phillies: Cursed to First!

Congratulations!!!!!!
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Nancy, what an excellent list.

I'll add,

SMALL CHILDREN

even at their wildest and most mischevious they make me smile inside, sometimes it's so hard to tell them off for doing something naughty because they've been so adorable whilst they've been doing it.

CRISP, COLD MORNINGS WITH THE SUN SHINING

REAL CHRISTMAS TREES

FINDING AN OUTFIT THAT FITS PERFECTLY AND MAKES YOU APPEAR 7LBS LIGHTER

FIDING THAT THAT OTFIT IS FURTHER REDUCED WHEN YOU TAKE IT TO THE TILL

CATS SNUGGLING UP TO YOU WHEN YOUR WATCHING TV

Brenda, those names are adorable Madeleine is a name I thought long and hard about.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Klonnie wrote:
The big question for now is: what names are being considered?

In other words, Brenda, they had better be CELTIC!!!!!!!
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Alison,

Madeleine is my favorite of that bunch too. Virginia is sweet, and you never hear it any more. One of my best friends in grade school was named Virginia. Emma is a dear, old fashioned name, but I have a great neice named Emma Grace. Emma though is greatly favored by my daughter-in-law, and I have the feeling that one of them will be named Emma Jean. I have to say, I don't know that any of the proposed names are Celtic, but I don't think so.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Chris, ChiO and Nancy,

Thanks for the good wishes. I didn't know if I'd live long enough to see another Championship, especially after last year's melt down! And Chris, I didn't miss a minute of any of the 5 games! After following a team for more than 50 years, there's no way I could have been torn away from the screen! I only wish that I had been in Philly for game 5! What an experience that would have been! Probably a bigger thrill than 1980! ChiO, if the Phils don't do it again, I'm pulling for th Cubbies, those Lovable Losers! Hard to think that with Ernie Banks, Ferguson Jenkins, Ron Santo, Ryne Sandberg and Ernie Banks (Let's play two!) they haven't pulled one off. But like baseball fans are wont to say, "Wait til next year."

Thanks again and as always,

Hollis

ChiO, You are aware that Fergie Jenkins and Ryne Sandberg were Phillies tradeoffs! How godd could we have been if we'd kept them!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Great list, knitwit!

And fantastic new about those Phillies, Hollis! All my best wishes for your continued good health!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

LOL, just some thoughts from my son on having twin girls. Rather humorous, just thought I'd share.

We found out yesterday that the twins are both girls. We will have two precious little daddy's girls. I look forward to all of the spoiling, but where am I going to find a triple barrel shotgun to clean in front of boyfriends and label with their names?Can one house contain a never ending flood of estrogen and that much pink baby clothes? These are the things that concern me...........well jokingly.

While I really do not care if I have a boy to carry on the family name, it does shift the balance of power from a very zen 50/50 to a vast female majority. I am looking forward to some drama filled teens to say the least. :) At least one will have to be a tom boy so that in addition to Ozzy I have a outlet to pass on all things cool. We will have a Danika Patrick to follow Ozzy on our hands if it kills me!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
melwalton

phila

Post by melwalton »

congrats,, Hollis. stick around for a few more 28s .... mel

tgttick around for a few more 18s .... mel`
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

hey Mel! how are you! Just seeing your name is GOOD NEWS, indeed!!!!!

Nancy
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

LOL, just some thoughts from my son on having twin girls. Rather humorous, just thought I'd share.

We found out yesterday that the twins are both girls. ~Silentscreen
Congrats on that incoming twosome. Oy, will all of you have your hands full for the next decades! Maybe it's best if you just tell Justin to settle back and go with the flow of estrogen he's going to experience. It's pleasanter all around that way and can be enjoyable, or so my male friends tell me. I do know from experience that after a hard day in the outside world, there is nothing like the greeting a father gets from his little girls when he enters the door. Though nature must make such a bond somewhat fleeting, it may be one of the sweeter rewards of fatherhood.

As the aunt of three nieces, I can testify that my saintly brother-in-law's beatific joy at being the sole male at the center of attention in his "harem" has only been magnified as each of the girls went forth in life, and has found (so far) two nice guys to finally give their father someone to roll eyes with at the dining room table and talk football!

I hope that you'll continue to update us. I'm happy for all of you.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks