The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by moira finnie »

feaito wrote:I am very happy, because on one hand, I dislike traveling, planes, airports, all the security issues et al (Now I'm going to pass through Security X Ray machines), but on the other hand, my wife is going to have her dream come true: to spend Xmas with her two sisters; their first together since 1987! I'm going to be in the USA -specifically in NC and Georgia- for three weeks and spend Xmas and New Year there. It will be our first Xmas during Wintertime, because we're used to celebrating both dates in the HOT Summer....in short sleeves...now it's going to be quite different and a very happy celebration. Looking forward to it. :D
I'm not sure if you'll encounter much real winter weather in NC and Georgia, but I hope you have some great fun down South. (Are you going near Atlanta?)
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Alison!

Moira, I've heard that sometimes in Raleigh it has snowed around Xmas Time. In Georgia I'll visit Atlanta and I'll be around The Columbus & Fort Benning area.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Well my pals, today I'm flying to Raleigh via Miami, so wish me luck and no storms or blizzards upon arrival at both airports!! Here we're living spring-summer with highs around 28º Celsius...the only thing I'm gonna miss are the good weather, my daily swims and the outdoor jogging.... I'm so tanned due to my outdoor activities that my two sisters tease me saying that I'm the junior "Julio Iglesias"/"George Hamilton".....ha ha ha (because I'm very pale looking during Winter)

NC & GA Here I go!!! (This pix is from last weekend)

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

You handsome devil, you! Best of luck on your traveling, and have a wonderful time here in the US. Wish you could make it out to Kansas (except our weather is not too great right now).

Best!

Nancy
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Nancy, I'm sure we'll have a fine time notwithstanding storms, snow, blizzards and all concerning airports, lanes, security issues, luggage et al ... It'll be my first Xmas in Winter! Now, out to swim in the sun one last time!!
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

today I'm flying to Raleigh via Miami
Wow! So rare to fly anywhere in the U.S. without having to go through Atlanta or O'Hare. Already it's a good trip.

Have fun!
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks ChiO....I'm getting ready now....taking off my summer clothes and putting on my Winter outfit.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Have a lovely trip Fernando, love the picture, it seems so strange to look at nice weather when we are covered in snow.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Have a safe trip Fernando, and welcome to the USA! :D
Atlanta is a really cool city. My brother used to live there.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Fe,

Have a great trip! Raleigh and Atlanta are two great cities with lots of history!

My you and your wife and the family all have the happiest of Holidays!

Can't wait to hear about your trip!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

klondike

Post by klondike »

The Mayonnaise Jar and 2 Cups of Coffee

When things in your lives seem almost too much to handle, when 24 hours in a day are not enough, remember the mayonnaise jar and the 2 cups of coffee.
A professor stood before his philosophy class and had some items in front of him.
When the class began, he wordlessly picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with golf balls. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.The professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles rolled into the open areas between the golf balls. He then asked the students again if the jar was full.
They agreed it was.
The professor next picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else. He asked once more if the jar was full.
The students responded with a unanimous "yes."
The professor then produced two cups of coffee from under the table and poured the entire contents into the jar effectively filling the tiny, empty spaces between the sand.
The students laughed.
"Now," said the professor as the laughter subsided, "I want you all to recognize that this jar represents each one of your lives.
"The golf balls are the important things--prayers, your family, your children, your health, your friends and your truest, most devoted passions; if everything else was lost, and only they remained, your life would still be full & rewarding.
"The pebbles are the other things that matter day-to-day, that help hold it all together, like your job, your home, your car, social events, the changing face of your community.
"The sand is everything else---the small stuff, the things that come & go, things you wonder about, and worry about, and often wish would just go away, or stop, or slow down, but seldom do.
"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued, "there is no room for the pebbles, or for the golf balls. The same goes for life. If you spend all your time and energy on all that small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you
"Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Pray, and celebrate holy days. Play with your children. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your spouse out to dinner. Take your dog for a walk. There will always be time to clean the house or fix the disposal or pay the taxes.
"Take care of the golf balls first---the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."
One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the coffee represented.
The professor smiled; "I'm glad you asked. It just there to show you that, no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of cups of coffee with a friend."----!
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Fernando,
Welcome to the neighborhood!
Ok, I'm exaggerating just a little...
Seriously, I hope your family has a wonderful trip. Can't wait to hear all about it...B
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Have a wonderful time in Raleigh!

You are a handsome fellow. Now tell me something, is that your home in the background of the picture? It's beautiful.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Alison, Brenda, Lynn, Wendy & Birdy. I arrived yesterday in Raleigh after a longer trip than usual, because in Santiago we were (with my wife) in line to check-in for over two hours; we traveled by AA and the Dallas Flight was cancelled, so it took much longer than normal....everybody was trying to fix that flight's passengers situation....how lucky we were that the Miami flight was OK....then at Miami the maintenance team said our plane to Raleigh was in no condition to fly, so we were changed to another plane, etc.. and we were delayed for one hour.....at last we arrived safely in Raleigh... and we've had fun.....been with our family and all that. The weather's cold and it's a BIG change, indeed, but being with my sis-in-laws' families during Xmas is going to be fabulous...Xmas atmosphere feels different here...it's completely new for us...it had snowed two days ago and everything's quite different....days of course are shorter and I'm drinking tons of hot tea.... I found a beautiful vintage classic movie posters 2011 Calendar at the World Market Store.... and watched the visually sumptuous & stunning film "Curse of the Golden Flower" (Blu Ray Edition) with my niece on her 46" LED TV...It looked awesome. Love this film; it's the third time I watch it....the costumes, colors, acting, the drama, the tragedy of it all.....impressive.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Well, that's airline travel. I'm glad you're not trying to get to Northern Europe, our transport systems here are in meltdown. I'm glad you arrived safely and are having a colder Christmas than you're used too. Have a lovely time. Santa is magic, there's no hiding, he'll still find you, whereever you are :wink:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin