The Good News Thread

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Re: The Good News Thread

Post by knitwit45 »

Another response to ugly, prying questions is to simply look at the person and say "Why?" After the person stumbles around and says something like "well, I just care about you" or some such nonsense, I usually say "Oh." or "Um". It throws them off, gives you time to say "I don't discuss it" or just look at them with no further response. Not one in 100 will pursue the subject after that.

Had a great trip to the Ozarks, the leaves were not very colorful, most have just turned brown. The occasional tree that was red or orange or gold was that much more outstanding, but they were few and far between the brown ones. But the trip was fun and relaxing.
feaito

Post by feaito »

Thanks Birdy! I had a great time on Tuesday night and we were lucky since Bebel had limited engagements: two concerts in Brazil and one in Chile...then back to NY, as far as I know. She tends to perform more in the USA & Europe. Well, she was born in NY -I recall- of Brazilian parents (Joao Gilberto and Miucha Buarque).

As for discrimination, I'd say that some people in Chile or Santiago, are impertinent with their questionings, giving liberally opinions no one asked from them, meddling, etc. Some might be even well intentioned -many people avised us to adopt a baby- but still, it was such a senstive subject for us back then, that I'd expected more careful and empathatic actions & opinions. Well, that happened many years ago and it's absolutely something of the past now. We have many friends who have children and are now in their 2nd or third marriages/coupling and have had quite unstable lives...so that's for the people who said that a childless couple had not much future, since we've had a tremendoulsy happy 17 years marriage ....Glad you liked my baby pix....As a baby I had blond hair indeed...but that changed to golden-brown as a kid and then to dark brown as an adult...and now, graying.... :wink:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I finally got a chance to put my movie knowledge to good use this morning. While sitting in a seminar the presenter was trying to spruce up her presentation by making her points with famous movie quotes. There were about 8 or 9. Many of them old movies. Several of them I announced when they solicited guesses and others were said for the benefit of those sitting around. It turns out they gave you a little gift for getting the quotes. After three I decided to be a little less obvious. Those around me were impressed.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Good for you! I hope the prize was something yummy!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Had dinner with Sue Sue Applegate last night. At last, something for everyone else to be jealous of me. I told my bride, who couldn't go, that it was the most fun I have had with a lady that wasn't my wife in a long time.
(Carolann is the one who said I should put that in here.)

Thanks Christy.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

braggin', braggin', braggin'.....
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Still off work following a virus, had the second lot of blood tests done, everything is normal apart from my blood glucose level which is very low for the time of day it was taken. It feels like good news because there might be something to work on from here to work what exactly is effecting my energy and tiredness levels.
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on November 5th, 2010, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

knitwit45 wrote:braggin', braggin', braggin'.....
When are you coming to town?
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

For the Chris and Carolann Film Festival!!!!! And I still want the comfy chair.....
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It;s yours.
Chris

feaito

Post by feaito »

I am very happy, because on one hand, I dislike traveling, planes, airports, all the security issues et al (Now I'm going to pass through Security X Ray machines), but on the other hand, my wife is going to have her dream come true: to spend Xmas with her two sisters; their first together since 1987! I'm going to be in the USA -specifically in NC and Georgia- for three weeks and spend Xmas and New Year there. It will be our first Xmas during Wintertime, because we're used to celebrating both dates in the HOT Summer....in short sleeves...now it's going to be quite different and a very happy celebration. Looking forward to it. :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Great news. I hope you both enjoy your visit. Be careful you don't return home with one of our southern accents.
Chris

feaito

Post by feaito »

Thank you Chris. And that won't happen, since I was educated at a British School in Santiago, it took me some years after I graduated to eliminate the sort of British Accent I had and to turn towards a more neutral accent...I've visited Raleigh some times before (the last time was in 2005) and their accent is not so "Southern", as far as I'm concerned...I bet in Georgia it will be different :wink:
klondike

Post by klondike »

Be a Kid Again

Give yourself a gold star for everything you do today.

Grow a milk mustache.

Open a pack of cupcakes and give one to a friend even though you wanted both of them for yourself.

Make a face the next time somebody tells you "no."

Ask "Why?" a lot.

Believe in fairy tales.

Have someone read you a story.

Wear your favorite shirt with your favorite pants even if they don't match.

Do a cartwheel.

Hide your vegetables under your napkin.

Make a "slurpy" sound with your straw when you get to the bottom of a milkshake.

Sit really still for as long as the dog (or cat) is asleep in your lap.

Find some pretty stones and save them.

Stick your head out the car window and moo if you see a cow.

Walk barefoot in wet grass.

Giggle at nude statues in a museum.

Make cool screeching noises every time you turn.

Count the colors in a rainbow.

Fuss a little, then take a nap.

Take a running jump over a big puddle.

Do that tap-someone-on-the-shoulder-while-you-stand-on-their-opposite-side-and-they-turn-around-and-no-one's- there thing.

Enjoy your all-time favorite candy-bar. (Forget about calories {but not your blood-sugar . . })!

Throw something and when it lands make a cool exploding bomb noise.

Buy yourself a helium balloon.

Stick an orange wege in your mouth, peel side out, and then smile at people.

Be a kid again...
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

That's great news Fernando :D
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin