The whiny thread

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

jdb1 wrote:Alison, I hadn't heard that about male and female cats. I've had only male cats, just by coincidence, not by conscious choice, and they have indeed been very affectionate, and rather lap-doggy. What's the story with lady cats?
I can only speak of my own experience of 2 female cats, they are the hunters for one. Livia was knocked down a few years ago but she hunted everything and was very successful bringing home 5 catches some nights but never ate what she caught, she would deliver it as a gift for her brothers. She was very tactile with them always grooming them but didn't need human comfort. The boys are soft, she would come in to be fed, never ever sit on a knee or cuddle up. I've seen her clinging to a tree in a gale, I've watched her bring down a seagull on the back fields and in summer I wouldn't see her from one day to another. Not an idela pet, when you are paying for food and vets bills it is nice to get some affection in return.

The other female cat I had was when I lived with my parents, she would allow you to fuss her and she would follow me around she just wasn't as needy as the boy cats are.

Actually in my experience with kids now, one girl, very independent, one boy, seriously loves his cuddles and uses them both for affection and a good way to suck up to Mum to get out of trouble. I'd say my experience of cats are similar to my expereince of male and female children.

My mother in law advocates female dogs because she feels they are more protective towards their owner and children. I don't know if this is true.

One thing I do know is that I wouldn't like to live without a cat or a dog for company.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Klonnie,

I wouldn't argue the point given that I'm a native Pennsylvanian, but there seems to be an unwritten law in New Jersey and Alabama both against using turn signals or replacing burned out head and tail lights. Further, in Alabama, there is no state inspection of motor vehicles! Be glad you're where you are!

Hollis
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I godda code in by head........ :( :( :( is there an emoticon for whiny?????
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Sorry you're not feeling well, Knitty, and I agree with you about emoticons -- we need some new ones.

I was discussing with one of my attorneys the other day the need for a good "sarcastic" emoticon. The "wink" is not quite right. There should be one for sarcastic that looks like Oscar Levant.

There should be one for whining and whingeing, too. And ones for concepts such as "hell -o-o!" and "ya think???" and/or "d'uh!" and "borrrr-ring!!" and maybe "don't go there!" and "sweet!" to name a few. The existing cons are not nuanced enough.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

scrowley -
You are right to whine away on here - and I hope it helps you get it out of your system so you can go out in the world and do what you need to do. You know, I called this the whiney thread because I just wanted a little sympathy for my current problems from my film friends. I have not waxed poetic about the real tragedies, losses, sadness and regrets in my life. My whiney prolems will end one of these days (and I'll get a whole set of new ones) but it's fun to complain every once in a while so we can get on with business, isn't it?

I'm so sorry you've had trouble with the neighbors pets, your contract is up and your lease is ending. I hope all these problems will end soon and we can laugh about them on this thread next spring and say, "remember all that stuff I was whining about last year?" Regarding your problems with English professors, well, my mother was one. I can't comment any further because I would have to start a new thread called the mother-psychosis thread. I don't even want to go there, but I can sympathize! Let's just hope my mother doesn't read this thread a)for the obvious reason that it would insult her and b)my writing skills are terrible!

Wishing you the best, keep us posted on the job hunt,
B
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

jdb1 wrote: I was discussing with one of my attorneys the other day the need for a good "sarcastic" emoticon. The "wink" is not quite right. There should be one for sarcastic that looks like Oscar Levant.

There should be one for whining and whingeing, too. And ones for concepts such as "hell -o-o!" and "ya think???" and/or "d'uh!" and "borrrr-ring!!" and maybe "don't go there!" and "sweet!" to name a few. The existing cons are not nuanced enough.
In my opinion, Yahoo! Messenger boasts the best selection of smileys. My favorite is their sad emoticon. It is the most melodramatically pathetic-looking face imaginable. My sister and I used to send it to each other all the time just to make ourselves laugh.

You can see the Yahoo! emoticons here:
http://www.helpbytes.co.uk/smileys.php

The sad face is the second one down. It's small but I think you can see what I mean.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

knitty,
So sorry you hab a code. With all my health problems, that's one thing I've escaped this year, the common cold! I'm so glad, because if I couldn't breathe on top of everything I might just give up. Hope you're feeling better soon. Baby yourself, you deserve it.

B

P.S. It's probably all that 70 degree weather you people were bragging about!
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Birdy wrote: I'm so sorry you've had trouble with the neighbors pets, your contract is up and your lease is ending. I hope all these problems will end soon and we can laugh about them on this thread next spring and say, "remember all that stuff I was whining about last year?" Regarding your problems with English professors, well, my mother was one. I can't comment any further because I would have to start a new thread called the mother-psychosis thread. I don't even want to go there, but I can sympathize! Let's just hope my mother doesn't read this thread a)for the obvious reason that it would insult her and b)my writing skills are terrible!
Thanks Birdy....and all the others who tolerated my momentary lapse into self-pity.

Well, I figured I'd probably offend at least one person with my vent about English grad students/professors. Again, sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes, but as I've said, the ones I've known over the past year have made me never want to set foot on a campus again or take any sort of class, especially English-related. If that's what I have to deal with, I'll (1) be blissfully ignorant or (2) take online college courses [if that'd make any difference].
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Geez, Ms. B, there you sit with some real health issues, and you're giving me sympathy...... I feel very, very blessed to have so many online friends here....

That's why I was whining about my cold...thought it would give people a laugh, maybe let them forget the real problems for a "hot second" anyway.

Thanks, Birdy! Even when you're down, you still brighten the day around here.

Did your nephew make it thru the land of Oz ok?
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Anne, I'm sorry if I have sounded harsh to you in the past, I didn't know you were going through these things. How awful. You are in my thoughts! Melwalton and Birdie and Bryce too.

Knitwit45 - I suffer with you. When will someone invent a proper cure for cold? It goes on forever - if you live in a family you pass it around until eventually you get it back, it never goes away. :evil:
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

My nephew's back - I didn't even tell that LSBS* on here.

B

LSBS = Long sad boring story
melwalton

cold

Post by melwalton »

Sorry about your cold, Nancy. You take care now, y'hear. ... mel
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

I'm just doing a little wining so I can log in to my private messages...it won't let me on the pm page because of the weird problem.

So....chardonnay, cabernet.

B
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

and Merlot and Medoc!
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

All I know is that Frank Sinatra, the Chairman of the Board, drank the same thing that I drink when the mood strikes! Good old Jack Daniel's Black Label #7! You can't argue with 86 proof, smooth as silk, lightning in a bottle! It'll cure whatever ails you, and if it doesn't, you won't care! That's life!

Speaking for "The Voice" (and myself)

Hollis

p.s. And he was an Oscar winner to boot! Wonder what he celebrated with?