Inching Into the 21st Century

Chit-chat, current events
jdb1

Inching Into the 21st Century

Post by jdb1 »

Hello, friends and neighbors. I've been computer-less at home for several months, and I'd like to get a new one. I wonder if you can help me to determine what kind of computer will be best for me now.

I've been reading about the minis - the netbooks. I'm thinking this sort of laptop might work for me, but I'm not sure that they would have all that I need. My primary use of computers is:

---Accessing this very website
---Email correspondence with multiple penpals
---Not very adventurous web sufing
---iTunes (I have an iPod Mini, and it's not even full)
---Storing a few photos from my rarely-used digital camera

I do little word processing from home, and I don't watch videos or listen to CDs via computer, although I might if it ever occurred to me to do it once in a while. Even so, I am relatively indifferent to the process, as I am to Skype-ing and WiFi-ing and such. In addition, I could probably live without the iTunes and the photo storage, considering I didn't bother with either very much when I had the capacity.

Your techno-laden thoughts? [Please limit your responses to words easily understood by woman who still has faint memories of a time when there wasn't a TV in every home]
knitwit45

Re: Inching Into the 21st Century

Post by knitwit45 »

From one fellow time traveler to another....

I recently acquired a Toshiba Satellite Notebook, with Windows Business Version of Vista. From all accounts I have heard moaned lately, it is the only version of Vista that seems relatively trouble free. This was a "gently used" computer, that a rather wealthy friend (at least in my eyes!) wasn't using. I have Skype (hello, Hollis!) and Microsoft Office loaded into it, also. I am like you, I don't use it for more than checking here, email, and a bit of surfing. It is a fabulous new toy for an ancient kid!

and I remember watching my two older brothers sprawled on the rug in the living room, listening to "Terry and the Pirates" on the radio....
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

First, I'd recommend "Get used to the keyboard and touchpad." If you can THINK you can do that, then the portables (netbooks, notebooks) make sense. If you think you'll revert to a mouse and a full-sized keyboard, then I'd recommend the full-size computer - you get more bang for your buck - a better value, and a larger screen, too. And none of our eyes are getting any younger.

If you have fantasies about writing your novel in coffeshops and park benches, then I'd refer you to my first sentence: "Get used to the keyboard and touchpad." Because you really can't keep hauling your desk around while holding the dream of portability close to your heart - your hands will be full of 20-lb luggage that was once considered a 5-lb computer.

If you're a decent typist, "everything can be gotten used to with enough practice." I think that's a good consideration.

As mentioned elsewhere, "used" ain't a bad way to go. Probably any computer you can find for sale today will do what you want it to. Marketeers pray you believe otherwise, but the reality is most of us are doing 99% of the same things with new computers that we did 10 years ago or more with those computers. We've just spent a lot more money on newer, flashier outsides.
melwalton

Post by melwalton »

I have a COMPAQ ... windows XP which I dislike. A relative with experience says DELL is the best. .... mel
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Mel is back, hooray! where ya been, big boy?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I use a Dell lap top at work but often plugged into a docking station. At home it is an HP but a smaller version. The DVD/CD drive is put in sideways as a space saving device. It has been quite handy with lots of USB ports. I'm no tech wiz but most anything will do what you mentioned. Almost anything you get now will do a lot more than you would expect.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

Well, since I'm a Mac technician, I would recommend a Mac for you. A 20 inch iMac if you want a desktop machine, or a MacBook if you want portability.

The MacBook screen is kind of small at 13.3 inches, but the MacBook Pro with 15.4 inch screen costs quite a bit more.

[At home I have a 3+ year old 15 inch PowerBook G4.]

A visit to a local Apple store would allow you to take a good look up close and hands-on. The stores are kind of like new car show rooms. :)
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Thank you for these responses. However, my original question was about the netbooks, and if they have the features I would need for the tasks I listed above. I've used full-sized laptops in the past, and I'm familiar with them, familiar enough to know that I use only the smallest fraction of their capabilities, and don't really care about the other things that are loaded in them.

I'm a small woman (and an excellent typist), and I don't think I'd have a problem with the smaller keyboard. In fact, I find the newer bells & whistles keyboards we use in the office to be much too big for me to use comfortably. They are too spread out for me. I did, after all, learn how to type on an old-fashioned manual typewriter, long before even the wonderful Selectric was introduced.

Is anyone familiar with the new breed of mini laptops? My concern is with its memory capacity - would it accomodate a photo library and allow the up- and downloading of iTunes? I'm assuming that I would need some kind of word processing program, even though I don't do much of it myself, so that I could download text attachments sent to me. Since I rarely sit at the computer at home for more than an hour or two, max, I'm not all that concerned about battery staying power.

Anyone? Anyone? Buehler? Buehler? Anyone?
bryce

Post by bryce »

The newest generation of netbooks, generation 3, is the first that I would consider to be a viable computer. I'm talking about ASUS here, as they're the only company making netbooks that I'd even think of taking a look at. The nicest things about gen 3 (the EEE 1000 series) would be the fact that the shift key is actually in the proper QWERTY position - previously it was a location above the function keys that made it damn near unusable. They also use the newest Intel Atom chip, which means your battery life is going to be a lot longer than a traditional laptop (not a big deal as you say, just thought I'd mention it) but you'll still actually be able to do stuff aside from browse the net - not the case with the first two generations. You can also now update the RAM from 1gb to 2gb (you WON'T need to), and I'd wager that the stock 160gb hard drive is plenty fine for what you need - if not far far too large. The screens are finally decently sized at 10" where previously you'd be making do with a 7" screen. Considering the pricing between gen 2 and gen 3 is $50 or less I would say it's worth spending the extra bucks for the better features. These now come with Windows XP, too, with StarOffice installed free. They range from $350-380.

That should address some of the specifics of your question. To answer the general: yes, a netbook will be perfect for what you need. My friend is a professional technical writer by trade and has been itching for one of these for a year or so. He finally bought one last month, the Asus EEE 1000, and is in love with it. This is a guy who downsized from a normal sized laptop to a miniature Dell 12" laptop and still had the desire to go smaller. It has enough horsepower to do all the stuff you (may) want to do - iTunes, photo manipulation, watching DVDs if you have the desire, hooking up to a larger monitor, whathaveyou - but it's just great as a daily web-and-writing machine.

If you have a Fry's near you (I don't think you do), or a Best Buy, go in and try using one. If you're comfortable with the way it looks and feels, find the cheapest one that still has all the features you need: USB 2.0 for your iTunes and camera, 512mb of RAM or larger, an Atom process 1.2ghz or better, Windows XP and a real hard drive (not SSD, if it or a salesmen even mentions that - RUN AWAY). Everything else on top of that is all icing, but I suspect you'll come out saying that the 1000 series is the way to go. Once you find the netbook that fits you well, go online and order it and pay a whole lot less - I suggest newegg for low low prices, fast shipping and the best warranty in the business.

I hope this helps.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

I echo Bryce's comments completely. The "memory" you're asking about for storage is the hard-disk space. 160Gb is a TON of storage - but not for someone doing video recording, DVD burning, etc. Since you and I share about 99% of functions, I predict you'll find "160Gb hard drive" to be vast. And when you start saving 200,000 photos and songs, then you can look at external hard drives for archiving some of those.

I have three concerns with these little netbooks - they usually don't have a built-in DVD player, so the 1% of the time I need one, I have to hook up an external. Two, the screens are a bit small but positioning is the key solution for that. And, like you, I'm a long-time typist that can churn out 40 or 100 pages a day. My keyboard's VERY important to me, so I have certain Key-Placement Key-Size demands and when those aren't met, I simply avoid those computers. There are always alternative brands that I can choose from.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Thank you for the above comprehensive replies.

Bryce, your explanation and recommendations comport with what I've been reading online about ASUS and ACER -- one of those would seem to be the way for me to go. It's nice to have a personal opinion from those whose opinions mean something to me, rather than some tech writer whose probably on a company payroll (you're not, are you Bryce & Ollie?). I'll check these models out this weekend.

PS -- I am trying to get with it, really I am. But just 'cause something's the latest, doesn't necessarily make it the greatest. For example, even though I do have an iPod, I find myself using my antique Sony Discman much more. The iPod may be more portable and more high-tech in appearance, but to me, the sound quality of CDs in the Discman is way better.
melwalton

Post by melwalton »

Hi. Nancy.
Thanks for the nice welcome. I've had computer trouble. its ok, now ..time being. There's a nice man here who fixes it for free. He's a genius. Me? I can turn it on and off when I remember. .... mel