The Positive Thread

Chit-chat, current events
bryce

The Positive Thread

Post by bryce »

So, I'll start. The 20th - and now the 21st - century, its advancements in technology and culture (I would argue the single greatest leap in both since the Renaissance), has made now the greatest time period in which to live. Here are a few reasons, without qualification, why:

Both of my grandmothers are still alive and well into their 80s. Having none of the "good genes" that many folks in the Mediterranean do, they're still alive today because of the progresses made in medicine and medicinal technology. Combined, they have survived leukemia, breast cancer, skin cancer and throat cancer. Just last year, my grandmother on my mother's side survived a horrific heart-attack. This was thanks to a team of incredibly well-trained paramedics, a team of doctors that knew they couldn't handle the situation and made the call to airlift her to the best heart treatment hospital in the region, the helicopter pilot who got her there, the team of doctors and nurses that were ready and waiting and the advances made in minimally invasive surgical techniques. Living to be 80-something as is stands as a remarkable testament to the progress medicine has made all on its own - surviving terrible disease at that age is yet another.

Music, film, and reading are celebrated more today than they ever have been before. Every city in the world has an orchestra, a cinema and a library. Now, more than ever, arts are truly in the hands of the people. From creation to distribution to retail, every facet of the various industries is completely under the control of the creator. Moreover, access to all of these various forms of art and entertainment is easier, more widespread and more celebrated than ever.

The explosive growth in popular music, beginning in the late 1800s and gaining momentum that is unbroken today, is unrivaled. Never before had so many styles of music been pioneered independently of one another. Never before had so many styles of music fed off each other and gave rise to something so completely different that it, too, was new. All because of our emerging global culture. This culminated with the birth and subsequent mutations of rock and roll. Beethoven was the first rock star and even he would have been absolutely amazed by the 20th century.

There are many, many, many more things I could list. Such as how tolerance and understanding reached a pinnacle in the 20th century and the fact that they owe a great deal to our progress technologically and culturally. Also, call me naive, but I still think rock and roll can save the world. Perhaps it all ready did. It is the voice of the people, after all.

What has the 20th century done for you?
srowley75

My time-compressed response...

Post by srowley75 »

bryce wrote: What has the 20th century done for you?
Two words: indoor plumbing.
charliechaplinfan

Re: The Positive Thread

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Probably more than I could ever name.

I love old films, especially the beginning of film when women and men dressed differently, it's almost like looking at another world. It's the same with looking at old family photos. Do I want to live back then, no siree, I love central heating, indoor toilets, plumbing, not having to break my back to do the laundry or clean the house. Plus I love my movies.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Re: My time-compressed response...

Post by klondike »

srowley75 wrote:
bryce wrote: What has the 20th century done for you?
Two words: indoor plumbing.
Spot on, Steve; and to be added-on by me in tandem: toilet paper.
And lest anyone think I advocate the unchecked consumption of our undeveloped forestlands, let me hasten to add that we need to get back on track with a 1970's goal that got away from us: Z P G [zero population growth], monitored & gauged pentannually, not yearly, and not just for North America, but the entire World!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Jerome Lawrence and Robert Edwin Lee gave their Clarence Darrow-based character in Inherit the Wind one of the best descriptions of what was awesome about human progress, as well as the cost--the loss of certainty.
[youtube][/youtube]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Great thread, Bryce! as our British friends say, "Good on you!"

My grandmother was born in 1895, and dimly remembered traveling from rural Missouri to even MORE rural Oklahoma...by covered wagon. And there was still (according to her) an "Indian Threat". whatever that means. Anyway, she lived to watch a man walk on the moon, and to see all the technology that led to that historic moment. Horseless carriages, telephones, 2 world wars with the depression sandwiched in between them, television, radio....all the things we take for granted, and have never lived in a world without them. Her attitude was "What's next??". She embraced life and endured, and enjoyed every day God granted her. She "graduated" to heaven in 1993, and I'm betting she is still having fun and watching to see "what's next".

I'm looking forward to the next post (now that's positive, right???)
thanks for starting this one!
Nancy
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

Knitwit45, how amazing to have witnessed that development. Society has changed so much in such a relatively short time. It's mind-boggling when you think about it.

Well, according to my grandfather there is a much greater awareness of things like racism now. He told me that when he was young people simply didn't think about it at all.

I'm thankful for the opportunity I have to study at the university and maybe one day become a respected historian. How many woman historians were there in the early 1900's? Not many I should think. We can also complain about sexual harassment in the workplace now. After hearing stories about how it used to be, I'm glad of the change. One day we will have a female prime minister. Probably that day isn't too far off.

Bryce wrote:
Also, call me naive, but I still think rock and roll can save the world. Perhaps it all ready did. It is the voice of the people, after all.

I agree with you there. Great topic Bryce! Not all changes are for the worst.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

The twentieth century has given me so many choices that I don't know what to do.

Wait a minute...that didn't come out very positive.
Which I'm actually not. Fun loving, wacky and in a little denial yes.
But positive; not actually.
I must be lacking the gene, which Michael J. Fox talked about on The View this morning and says he has.
I'm going to watch his special tonight on ABC 9 p.m. (I think) and see if some of it rubs off on me.

What has the twentieth century given me?
Classic movies available in my home day and night and friends from all over the world to share them with. (You people!)
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

We're back and I missed everyone. Nancy was write in that you don't know how much you enjoy something until it is gone. Now we can carry on.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

This is the best thing that's happened to me this week and I've watched so many movies, I'll be on here for hours :lol:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got til it's gone. They paved paradise and put up a parking lot."

- Joni Mitchell, Big Yellow Taxi, 1972
laffite

Post by laffite »

I am very positive.

I like improving myself every single day.

And my favorite hobby is helping people (even if I don't like them).

:smiley_jumping:
Catherine Deneuve in The Murri Affaire
Detective Jim McLeod

Post by Detective Jim McLeod »

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

I'd never before heard The Queen of Soul's version of this song, but it might now be my favorite version of this old Johnny Mercer tune.

(...move over, Bing)
Swithin

Post by Swithin »