I'm curious

Chit-chat, current events
klondike

Re: I'm curious

Post by klondike »

HOLLIS & BRYCE ----

Front and Center, Boys: :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil:

Listen, I think if someone started a thread called "The Cultural Repercussions of the Post-War Potato Chip on the Eastern Seaboard" - you two would find some way to start disputing the subject with each other . . .
Sometimes it almost feels like you two are stalking each other, which might well be somewhat unique in its mutuality, but nonetheless violates the ethics of polite behavior as described in our Code of Conduct . .
So be advised . . have your fun, but let's please temper those remarks with good old-fashioned camaraderie & respect for one another, and for cryin' out loud, do not block-up so much space on this thread that Alison and her other respondents feel it's being kidnapped!
OK?
Thank you!
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Snowley wrote:
But given the assumptions about my kind, let me make it abundantly clear that I have never used white sheets for anything except bedding.
Okay, I laughed so hard Pepsi came out of my nose. It burns, but thanks.

jdb1 wrote:
Now -- if you really want to drive yourself crazy, do some research on why the people of Indiana are called "Hoosiers."
After living here for 12-years, I can tell you everyone has an answer, they just don't agree. My head wants to explode. Another question one might ask is, "What time is it in Indiana?" (This may be too inside, but since I've been here, Indiana has adopted three different time zones.)

great thread ccf, I'm learning a lot. :D
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
klondike

Post by klondike »

I'd always heard that Indianians were called Hoosiers because the first generation of settlers resembled each other so much that they used to approach strangers in their local towns with the greeting: "Hey! Who's yer Daddy?"
Yes? No? Not even close?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

As one born and raised in the Great Hoosier State (parole was granted in 1978), I were learned in school that "Hoosier" iz a Native Amerkin word referrin' to watchin' fellas drivin' a car reel fast 'rounda brick oval, as in: Who's yere ta see A.J. an' Bobby?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

Hi Hollis,

My remarks weren't meant to be taken all that seriously. Rather, it was a silly, probably stupid attempt at self-deprecation, brought on in part by having read/skimmed several posts that alluded to skirmishes between and within regions and states for whatever reason. I just meant to say that while I'm acquainted with many others who seem to hold animosity against other Americans of another city, state, or whatever, having myself lived in some of the earthier parts of our great land, I usually don't press the issue of where people are from. (And let me also say that there are erudite West Virginians out there. Oh sure, you can lean out a window and spit all day without hitting one, but there's a few here and there. I worked in a lib-ary in WV and I know whereof I speak.)

And I really don't know what to say to Bryce's coy badinage, other that what the hell happened that seemed to have sent the bathwater, baby, tub and fixtures flying out the door. I admit we have our share of problems, but one thing I have tried to keep from doing in the last couple of years is broadbrushing. And while I do slip occasionally (I do blame my recent experience with academics as having spurned my desire to tar, feather, and set the whole lot alight - thankfully I've mellowed quite a bit), I try my best to share Alison's sentiment that most people have potential. But Rome wasn't built in a day, and humans, being human, don't learn quickly or easily. We (myself included) tend to take three steps forward and two (sometimes three or four) steps back. (Yes, I know, death by cliche...I will stop now and mosey on back over to Careerbuilder.)
bryce

Post by bryce »

klondike wrote:HOLLIS & BRYCE ----

Front and Center, Boys: :evil: :x :evil: :x :evil:

Listen, I think if someone started a thread called "The Cultural Repercussions of the Post-War Potato Chip on the Eastern Seaboard" - you two would find some way to start disputing the subject with each other . . .
Sometimes it almost feels like you two are stalking each other, which might well be somewhat unique in its mutuality, but nonetheless violates the ethics of polite behavior as described in our Code of Conduct . .
So be advised . . have your fun, but let's please temper those remarks with good old-fashioned camaraderie & respect for one another, and for cryin' out loud, do not block-up so much space on this thread that Alison and her other respondents feel it's being kidnapped!
OK?
Thank you!
Hollis and I have never gone at one another in any thread, ever. As far as I'm concerned, we still haven't. Whether I agree or disagree with some of his points and whether or not I care for his tact or lack thereof is irrelevant. Hollis's comments could have easily gotten to me - especially the one about my not getting along with anyone, anywhere - but I chose to wax comedic. Everyone gets hot-headed. You two have gone at it plenty - the difference being that where I respond with irreverence (in an obvious attempt at diffusion), you two treat it as if it's a gentlemanly 19th century duel. Different strokes.

As for my badinage, it was just that and nothing more. If there was a sarcasm tag here I'd use it - apparently I need to. My attempts at humoring Hollis into tranquility failed. My "bad".

I didn't mean to disrupt this topic and even took my thoughts to pm with Alison so as not to. I'm not exactly sure what I said that was so bad - judging from most people's posts here you'd think this country is full of bobble-headed cell-phone wielding inconsiderate death-bringers. I simply said America was a tad stupider than the rest of the world.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Chio - you made me laugh as usual! I make no claims to any pro-sports teams anymore, but you're right, the south of the state is very divided on baseball.

MichiganJ - don't even get me started on the Hoosier thing. That's the exact nickname I was thinking of, because it's a source of pride in Indiana and in St. Louis is means someone who keeps a couch and the barbecue grill on the front porch. (And the country song, Hoosier Daddy, yeeeck. Forced on me in the occassional quick-stop.)

And in 'downstate' Illinois, everyone pretty much thinks everyone south of them is stupider, as in south of Interstate 74, then south of Interstate 70...
Illinois and Indiana are rivals and when it goes too far, they refer to their enemies as "from Kentucky"!

I have lived several places and find all these attitudes funny, at least until it comes to blows.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good evening Ladies & Gentlemen,

I'll make this a three part post but try (as hard as it may be) to keep it simple.

Steve, my parents had two of their very best friends living in Wheeling. Matheney (if I've spelled it correctly) was their surname and if mom or dad ever spent a dime on long distance calls, you can bet your bottom dollar that it was a call to them. Having driven through parts of West (By God) Virginia without incident, and sharing a compartment with an Aviation Boatswain's Mate by the name of John Fratt who happened to hail from West (again, by God) Virginia on the USS Independence for six months in 1971, I have nothing but the highest regard for the sons of that great state.

Klondike, you old musher you,

If a certain young and misinformed gentleman (boy, that was like pulling teeth) hadn't denigrated the country that you and I both served, and at great sacrifice (especially on your part) then this particular thread wouldn't be half as long as it is, and more than likely wouldn't be bearing any animosity at all, but sometimes things need to be said. In my estimation, what I said (and with great pains to keep it above board) needed to be said. It may be true that "stupid is as stupid does" but I won't wear that mantle unless it's earned. I don't think that that's the case in this forum. I may in fact be misinformed at times, but I've never done anything but invite correction if it's due. I steered clear of name calling and any other form of personal attack even if it was justified (and it was.) I did nothing more than point out certain "what ifs" with regard to the gentleman's (boy that actually gets harder to say) stated comments. That's that as far as I'm concerned. If it earns me a one way ticket out of town, I'll get on that plane, train or automobile and I won't look back.

Lastly (but most pleasantly) we come to you, Alison...

From his initial role in "Lawrence of Arabia", Peter O'Toole has been one of my latter day favorites. Whether it's been as a lead or as a supporting actor, he certainly hasn't let me down one little bit. Yes, I think he did an excellent job as Henry II to Katherine Hepburn's Eleanor. And even though there was a significant difference in their ages, a little makeup and two splendid performances made you forget about it entirely. "The Lion In Winter" is easily one of my favorite "period" films and I can watch it with the expectation of picking up something new each time I do. The only saving grace from the musically challenged remake of "Goodbye, Mr Chips" was Peter O'Toole. Petula Clarke would have been better served had she remained "Downtown". Sorry, but I couldn't resist the pun. And who else could have played the faded and inebriated star in "My Favorite Year" ? From Shakespeare to comic hero, he's among the best that's ever danced across the Silver Screen. At least in my humble opinion for what its worth. I'm not going to make a trip over to the "pregnancy thread" so I'll just say that I hope you're doing well. I guess by the third time around, morning sickness either isn't there or you know how to deal with it. I'm looking forward to the next time we get a chance to speak! Give my best to Chris, Libby and Joe, okay?

Good evening again, M I C, see you real soon. K E Y, Why? Because we love you, M O U S E...
Last edited by Hollis on May 9th, 2009, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Before I go...

I've heard a lot of reasons why, and most of them not fit for publication in a family oriented forum, but what's the real reason that Oklahoma is called "The Sooner State" ?

Goodnight and as always,

Hollis
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Let me say this has been both a very entertaining thread and an enlightening one. I've enjoyed reading it while I learned from it.

I have to agree with whoever said it earlier that California is the land of fruits and nuts, but also, Chicago is full of gangsters who would as easily shoot you as shake your hand, even today; and we all know Florida is filled with nothing but old people, and Montana is the only state in the union that has a huge blue sky and of course, Texas is the best state because it's the biggest - that's a heck of a rule to judge anything by. Maine has the best and biggest lobsters, Alaska has the best crabs, Wisconsin makes the best cheese, Kentucky raises the best race horses. And finally, now we all know that you can see Russia from certain parts of Alaska !!!

I once commented on the American Indian being the only true Americans, but was corrected and rightly so, because during the Ice Age, all peoples traveled over the ice down from Europe and up from Mexico, thus even the American Indian is a foreigner, but because he was here for centuries before the white man, we do consider him the real American. The one thing I contest is the statement that America was settled by "outcasts from other countries". Sorry my friend, you have America mixed up with Australia. It's down under that was settled by prisoners from England and France. I may be wrong, and correct me if I am, but I'm pretty sure the Mayflower was filled with volunteers for the trip.

So from someone who has been to 43 of the 50 states, every state has it's good and bad rumors, and tell-tale anecdotes. But that's what makes it so interesting and such a great place to live, not to mention all the minor rights to various freedoms.

Now, about those Sooners.

Anne
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning Anne,

You were dead on about the Mayflower and its passengers. We call them Pilgrims because they were on a pilgrimage to the New World. I believe, and once again am open to correction, that they were also known as Puritans. In theory, while some peoples may have come North from Mexico, settling in the warmer Southwestern areas later to be known as New Mexico, Arizona, Southern California and Texas, theory has it that many peoples moved South from Asia and the Arctic regions (not Europe, as it was actually moving away from what would later be called North America due to plate tectonics.) That would explain the similarities between the Eskimo people and the Native Americans of the "lower 48." Not to be a nitpicker, (now there's an interesting word that most people couldn't define) but Alaska is considerably larger than Texas, and may produce the largest crabs, (Alaskan king crabs) but those of us who hail from the Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern states would swear that Maryland has the tastiest crabs of all in the form of the soft shell or blue point crabs, and hence the Maryland style crab cakes, though purists prefer cracking them open and eating the crab meat with copious amounts of drawn butter, all to be washed down with large mugs of their favorite beer! By the way, if the weather gets cold enough, you can actually walk across the ice (North of the Bering Sea) to Asia from North America and vice versa. You did say something though that's indisputable, and that's that this has turned out to be a clever and interesting thread. Multi-faceted you might say! Many thanks to Alison for starting it. Have a great weekend!

As always,

Hollis
klondike

Post by klondike »

mrsl wrote: California is the land of fruits and nuts,
And some Californians are both!
mrsl wrote: Chicago is full of gangsters who would as easily shoot you as shake your hand
actually, only half of them belong to gangs, the other half are lawyers
mrsl wrote: Montana is the only state in the union that has a huge blue sky
True, but the bluest skies you've ever seen are in Seattle (remember?)
mrsl wrote: Texas is the best state because it's the biggest
Alaskans like to quip that if Texans don't quit whining, they'll cut Alaska in half and make them the third
mrsl wrote: Wisconsin makes the best cheese
Correction: Wisconsin makes the most cheese- Vermont makes the BEST
mrsl wrote: And finally, now we all know that you can see Russia from certain parts of Alaska !!!
I've actually looked at "Russia" from Alaska, and I can tell you this: unless you're standing on the eastern shore of Little Diomede Island, the only "Russia" you're going to see from Alaska is a teeny-tiny pinhead-sized dot on the far corner of the horizon on a very dry & clear Summer afternoon . . . and that might involve trekking up above the treeline, or standing on your roof.
mrsl wrote: I once commented on the American Indian being the only true Americans, but was corrected and rightly so, because during the Ice Age, all peoples traveled over the ice down from Europe and up from Mexico, thus even the American Indian is a foreigner, but because he was here for centuries before the white man, we do consider him the real American.
Cultural politics aside, the only "concrete" origin evidence that the whole Land Bridge theory gives us for certain is that there was human traffic between Siberia & Alaska between the last two Ice Ages . . but which way the bulk of that traffic was headed has become a hot point of conjecture in the past decade, especially as the whole groundwork of Carbon 14 dating is now being re-examined & re-evaluated as a chrono-biological calendar. Who knows, maybe our Native Aboriginals really always were indigenous to North America, and actually marched eastward to populate Asia!
mrsl wrote:
The one thing I contest is the statement that America was settled by "outcasts from other countries". Sorry my friend, you have America mixed up with Australia. It's down under that was settled by prisoners from England and France. I may be wrong, and correct me if I am, but I'm pretty sure the Mayflower was filled with volunteers for the trip.
Technically speaking, Mrs. L, you've been right both times, because being volunteers & being outcasts are not always mutually exclusive, and certainly were both often the case with British emigres to the Americas . . especially with Puritans & Quakers, who were often social outcasts in England, eager to get beyond the domination, and sometimes severe oppression, of the early Anglican church . . but before you feel bad for those persecuted Puritans, bear in mind that soon afterward they would become the persecutors, slaying & punishing hounded Catholics throughout England, Scotland & Ireland, under the unmerciful lash of Lord Protector Oliver Cromwell!
Lends a whole new spin to those cozy old Thanksgiving images, don't it? :roll:
bryce

Post by bryce »

No, klondike, that's incorrect: Americans and their ancestors have never done anything wrong, ever! :roll:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Nancy, I missed your post before, we wouldn't dream of coming to Oz without visiting you.

Hollis, Eleanor of Aquitaine was married to the King of France before Henry II, she was ten years Henry's senior but they were well matched. Her marriage to the King of France was dissolved after she produced no male heir, Eleanor bore Henry eight children, five of them sons. The son's acquired the nickname 'the devil's brood' due to their constant squabbling. After the birth of John the relationship between Eleanor and Henry cooled and Henry enjoyed a succession of mistresses. The later years of were taken up by the bitter fueding of his sons. He crowned his older son Henry king of England in 1170, it is the only occasion 2 kings have ruled England but the young king was dissatisfied with the emptiness of his title and encouraged by his mother and her former husband the king of France rebelled against his own father. Eleanor was put into honourable captivity for her part in them. Young king Henry died in 1183 and Geoffrey the new heir in 1186, this made Richard heir and when Henry's beloved son John joined Richard and rebelled against his father Henry II lost his will to live. Henry died in 1189 and Eleanor followed him in 1202 her only surviving children were John and her namesake Eleanor.

It gives more bearing to the story of The Lion in Winter it must be told after the death of young Henry when all the brothers are vying for position.

Henry II was a good king he set up the judicial system that the Americans and British use to this day.

Hey I didn't use wikipedia either :wink:

This threads gone all over the place and mainly been informative. Please keep on with questions, it's very educational.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Alison,

I am indeed impressed that you can recite all of that history from memory ! I know you said you didn't use Wikipedia, so what did you use? The Encyclopaedia Britannica? Just teasing a bit, I really am impressed. Here in the States, you'd probably have to find someone who majored in American History to recite that much knowledge about our early presidents ! Have a great evening my sweet. All my best to the family.

As always, Hollis