The Domestic CAT: Feline at its finest!

Chit-chat, current events
MissGoddess

Re: The Domestic CAT: Feline at its finest!

Post by MissGoddess »

Thanks, knitty! I do have a couple of them bookmarked and they have days in Manhattan where they'll have some on display and will talk about the others. It breaks my heart, to hear about the ones that are difficult to place. If I had a big house, I'd have more of them. I hope I can at least get a one bedroom apartment because a studio is too small really, even for one kitty. That's the problem with Manhattan. Apartments are sooo tiny, at least the ones I can afford.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Good luck on your quest to find a bigger place, and 4 legged friends to join you in it!
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Mr Arkadin, looks to me like your kitty is going to have sticky fingers in her coat in a few months. They both look absolutely gorgeous.

I couldn't imagine living without a cat, I just wouldn't feel right. I hope your quest for apartment and cat goes well Miss Goddess.

I'll post a picture as soon as I get her. She has no white, I don't know if that makes her a true calico, she's black, tabby and ginger. We've not had a girl cat in a long time, I'm only used to boys.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you, ladies. It will be a while before I can make the move, but you can never
start too early to plan, I think.

I had a calico lady once when I was a kid. She was a beauty, with long hair. She was
also quite a huntress and unfortunately gobbled up my little blue jay baby that I was
raising and was just teaching to fly. Boy, did my father have a time calming me down
after that collision with the facts-of-wildlife. :D :D :D

I just wish I could remember what we named the kitty. She came to us as a stray,
I remember. We had sooooooooooooooo many cats over the years I was growing up.
I can never remember all their names but they all brought us joy.
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Yesterday, I bent down to pick up a stray leaf only to discover that the stray leaf was a mouse's head and what I thought was the stalk was the tail. It's the one aspect of having cats that makes me feel uncomfortable.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh my! I'm surprised that litte meece didn't end up as a proud gift on your doorstep! Must
have been overlooked somehow.
:D
-- Will Rogers
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

MissGoddess,
I hope you will get a cat friend soon. They sure do add a lot to a household. A lady I know, age 62, just got her first indoor cats. She swore her whole life that she hated cats, hated everyone who owned them,hated visiting cat owners homesand hated hearing all their cat stories. She had two cats foisted on her by her daughter, has now rearranged her home to make them more comfortable, and they are ALL she can talk about. What a hoot!
B
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Birdy wrote:MissGoddess,
I hope you will get a cat friend soon. They sure do add a lot to a household. A lady I know, age 62, just got her first indoor cats. She swore her whole life that she hated cats, hated everyone who owned them,hated visiting cat owners homesand hated hearing all their cat stories. She had two cats foisted on her by her daughter, has now rearranged her home to make them more comfortable, and they are ALL she can talk about. What a hoot!
B

Hahahaaaaa! Oh, I love that. I'm so glad she has two new roomies and I know she's twice as happy as she
was before they took over...I mean moved in. :D

I have a friend who thought she didn't like them either until she met a friend's cat and fell for her.
Lots of people have preconceived ideas, like they are all aloof or skittish or not as personable and
trainable as dogs. Each cat is so different in personality, just like people, I think. My favorite cat
personality "type" is the loud, talkative, affectionate DEMANDING kind. They never leave you alone.
Love it.
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

My father was strictly a dog man until we acquired a beautiful Siamese whose distinctive personality and beauty won him over. Each morning as he shaved, Ravi (as in Shankar) would push the bathroom door open, and jump or climb up to the sink. If she couldn't get a grip on the porcelain sink's sides, she would (ahem, please excuse me if this offends) launch herself into space and grasp the side of his boxers--swinging back and forth--and digging into the poor man's thighs, if necessary, until she found a way to get up to the sink. Then Ravi would stare at Dad until he turned the tap of the sink on just a little, so she could dip a paw daintily into the stream and wash her face and paws, and get a bit of a drink. Ravi spurned any water in bowls.

Dad always claimed he loathed cats, but this ritual became a daily event for both. He was very sad when Ravi chased a squirrel into the path of a car one Spring morning.

I really hope that you find a way to have at least one cat soon, Miss G. They can be highly entertaining once they get us trained.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oooooh, what a lovely story about Ravi and your Dad. Ha! I tell you, the little rascals
can worm their way into the stubbornest hearts. I'm so sorry about how he passed away,
I've had that sort of accident happen all too often when I was little (my mother insisted
most of the cats remain outdoors).

I'm so impatient to have one but it could be six months to a year or more before I
can make it happen. The rents in NYC are currently at a nice low, so I'd love to
find a place sooner than later but my current lease isn't up until February. In the
meantime I'm laying feline plans of mice and men...
:D
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I hope you can find something to lease that is affordable and accommodating for a kitty soon. Could a sub-let enable you to make the move sooner? Btw, one of my Dad's comments on Ravi was that she "thought like a dog." High praise indeed!

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

moirafinnie wrote:I hope you can find something to lease that is affordable and accommodating for a kitty soon. Could a sub-let enable you to make the move sooner? Btw, one of my Dad's comments on Ravi was that she "thought like a dog." High praise indeed!

I had a pretty awful experience with a sublet once, so I'm gun shy at the prospect. I also have
rather a lot of furniture to move (and I don't want to use storage) so it would be a pain to do
it twice. I can remember when all my worldly goods fit into a couple of suitcases, now I'm
bogged down!

One of the things I love about Siamese, besides their beauty, is their puppy like personalities
and intelligence. I'm not really a dog person, but for some reason I like "dog like" characteristics
in cats, ha!
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

I've had a cat that thought it was a dog, completely dependant on us, loved giving and receiving affection and was so jealous and possessive, poor Fred. He's been gone a year, I still think of him often but now it's all the good times. He was an adult rescue cat, he knew the value of a good home whereas kittens just take everyone for granted
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I've had a cat that thought it was a dog, completely dependant on us, loved giving and receiving affection and was so jealous and possessive, poor Fred. He's been gone a year, I still think of him often but now it's all the good times.

Oh, how sweet. I had a kitty named Fred, too...he had a twin brother named Ralph and they were orange, tabby-point siamese. They were two of the sweetest natured cats I ever had. I've never forgotten my Fred, either.

He was an adult rescue cat, he knew the value of a good home whereas kittens just take everyone for granted

Kids today.
:P
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

You girls made me think about another cat we had once who seemed more dog-like than feline. I found this coal black kitten crying in the gutter one November night while walking home from a babysitting job. He became a part of the family, and my mother immediately named him Blackie, as in "Blackie Norton" of San Francisco (1936) fame. I'm not sure if it was genetics or if he was just living up to his name, but he turned out to be a tough, burly tomcat. Sometimes Mom would also call him "Clark Gable" from time to time, amused by his cockiness, undeniable charm and the crooked smile that the cat had due to a tooth that was a little misaligned. He often went out and stayed out all night, though he usually came home eventually. He was very independent, and never took any guff from any dogs (we also had several of them too), but when he wanted to be, on rare occasions, he could be a very nice lap cat. Just as you'd expect, one blustery night he went out for a walk and never came back.

Just like a rover! :wink:

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks