The Domestic CAT: Feline at its finest!

Chit-chat, current events
silentscreen

Re: The Domestic CAT: Feline at its finest!

Post by silentscreen »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good one!
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Here I am, home alone my little kitten Charlie is 6 months old today and he's at the vets having 'the' operation.

Poor little guy, I hate leaving him there, I'm too soft. He's had nothing to eat and has followed me around this morning as if to say 'Come on Mum, you've forgotten my breakfast' only to scooped up and delivered to the vets.

Still, he might be a poor little guy but he's quite a naughty one too. Claude the older cat has scabs on his head from Charlie's assaults on him. My best vase put somewhere where I thought he'd never get to it was knocked over yesterday and got smashed and he keeps getting on the top of the dresser and not geting down himself, I've left him up there for ages thinking he'll come down himself, it doesn't work, he just looks sorrowful and I go and grab a chair and get him down.

He's definetly the boss.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

Poor Charlie, he's back home now, I can't remember Claude looking much different at the back after the operation but poor Charlie, he's sewn up, so to speak. Sorry guys, if it makes any of you uncomfortable.

I feel really mean and keep telling myself it's what a responsible cat owner would do, yet I still feel mean. I feel like I've done it for me, so he won't wander too far. I'm just glad he's back. I've missed the little guy.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

You shouldn't feel mean, Alison. Look on it as a trade-off. He gives up some hormone production, and in return he gets a good home, free meals, and a loving family. My Monty, fixed 10 years ago, isn't all that toned down, although he's calmer than he was before the Big Op. And he still bites the hands that feed him. That's why we love cats.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Poor Charlie, he's back home now, I can't remember Claude looking much different at the back after the operation but poor Charlie, he's sewn up, so to speak. Sorry guys, if it makes any of you uncomfortable.

I feel really mean and keep telling myself it's what a responsible cat owner would do, yet I still feel mean. I feel like I've done it for me, so he won't wander too far. I'm just glad he's back. I've missed the little guy.
Having done this to all my dogs and cats, I have always felt the same pang when wondering if "they know what they are missing..."
I could easily wrestle with my conscience over my right to do this, but all I know for sure are three things:
1.) I could not handle a family member who goes into heat regularly or breaks out of the house in a frenzy of lust, (human or animal).
2.) I wouldn't want to bring uncared for cats and dogs into the world, having seen the sad results when I worked for vets.
3.) I would like it if the dogs and cats could visit a "hot pillow" motel prior to THE operation, just to give them some memories of that sweet mystery of life. Of course, cats aren't supposed to get much fun out of it at all, but dogs certainly seem to. Either that, or dogs just don't care who sees what.

I think that Charlie will forgive you. Don't be too surprised if he's not too keen on any return trips to the veterinarian's in the future, however.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
charliechaplinfan

Moira, I know you are so right over this and to not have him done would be very irresponsible. He's not at all bothered but keeps licking the area, poor guy. I wonder if he realises that there's something gone that was there before. He's perfectly happy now. He meowed and meowed in the back of the car coming home, whereas when he went he thought it was an adventure. He's got to go back Saturday to have his stitches checked.

I always feel like I'm betraying them whenever they have to go to the vets. I take the kids to the doctors without a second thought even when they have their jabs. The cats though, well they just don't understand.
charliechaplinfan

I'm reading the above comments about parting Charlie from his manhood and remember feeling really bad about having to leave him at the vets. 9 months on, he's a big personality, completely feline, knowing just how handsome, charming and daring he is and knowing everyone revolves around his every whim. As long as we're awake he gets everything he wants. His older brother Claude, now 14, is still used as a punchbag/cushion when the weather is inclement outside and bears most of it with the utmost patience.

Now they're both in for a surprise with the new addition of a sister, hopefully. We saw her nearly two weeks ago when we were looking online and saw an advertisement for a 6 week old kitten, she's a tortoiseshell (calico), black and ginger markings, exceedingly cute, playful with a distinctive meow, we've never owned a calico cat before. I hope to pick her up on Friday, apparently she's very close to her Mum both feline and the lady who house she comes from and plays continually with her brother who is ginger like Charlie. She'll have to get used to a larger ginger cat although Charlie isn't big. I say hopefully because she's so cute I'm worried the lady will want to keep her even though she has given me no reason to think that she will. The kids are so excited they are ready to pop.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

As the owner of a calico, I can tell you that they have a tendency to usurp whatever hierarchy or pecking order that might already be in place. In short, they are little dictators who will rule with an iron paw. This doesn't mean they are aggressive or mean, but will simply assume command as the top animal in your home and squash any rebellion to the contrary.

Looks harmless doesn't she?

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I hope you'll post a picture of the new addition if and when you can. You make the kitty sound very endearing.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

My calico, Charlie, is the Queen of the Household. She was great friends with my Dobie, but after Babe went to that great dog park in the sky, she became very possessive of me. She barely tolerates my two little Shih tzu's, Benny and Murphy, and terrorizes my 2 grown sons. When she is not bossing us around, she hides. Ah, I love that little cat!!!!
charliechaplinfan

I just love the picture of your calico Mr Arkadin. Is she still top cat? Even now with baby. One of ours had a really jealous temprament, he was a tabby and was not pleased but in time became my daughter' best friend. Our jellical cat, Claude will have nothing to do with kids, he hates them.

As for top cat, that's Charlie, red headed with all the temprament that's meant to go with a red head. It will be interesting to see how the heirachy works out. There's one thing for sure, the humans will not come out on top.

Once she's here I'll get some pictures of her and post them.
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

charliechaplinfan wrote:I just love the picture of your calico Mr Arkadin. Is she still top cat? Even now with baby. One of ours had a really jealous temprament, he was a tabby and was not pleased but in time became my daughter' best friend. Our jellical cat, Claude will have nothing to do with kids, he hates them.
She has my dogs (Red Healer, German Shepard, Poodle) scared to death of her. She also does not like any of my other cats, but loves humans:

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Ark,
I love the expressions on your baby's face while checking out the cat (who looks sort of bored by this new household member--but wait until he starts crawling). Could I please ask the name of your little one? Thanks for sharing these pictures. They're great.

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

You all are so fortunate you can have kitties where you live. They don't allow them in my apartment building and I'm actually formulating plans to eventually move if I can find a decent place that is pet friendly. I don't want to wait anymore to have some fur people. I grew up with cats but haven't owned one since 1996!! Long enough.

Once I'm settled, I'm thinking instead of just one kitten I'll get two. One from a shelter, because I just have to rescue one of those poor little mites, and either a siamese or bengal, because I'm loopy for both breeds.

Until then, visits to the adopt-a-pet stands, threads like this, YouTube and TheDailyKitten.com will have to do!
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ms. G., when you do get to have furry friends, consider checking with a Rescue organization. I am not sure about cats, but just about every breed of dog has a rescue org. attached to it. Dobermans, Pekingese, Yorkies, Heelers, you name it, there's one. Some times cats and dogs just don't fit in to a family, usually through no fault of the animal, and they get dumped in the laps of caring people who foster them until a suitable home can be found. At least think about it!