What are you listening to?

Chit-chat, current events
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Bryce,

Normally I’m not a mash-up fan, either, and had a difficult time with the Love album for awhile. But it just became too much fun to try and figure out where the bass line, the guitar lick, etc., came from, and really think the Martins’ did a great job of presenting the old songs in a new way. I must admit that it helped quite a bit that I saw the documentary on the show/CD, which aired on the Sundance Channel a while back. It was there I learned that it was Harrison’s idea for the show, and after seeing the respect both George Martin and his son had for the material, so much so that George Martin got Olivia Harrison’s approval before writing a string accompaniment to Something (the only non-Beatle music used) really sold me. I can say that if I’m ever back in Vegas, this is one of the show’s I’d definitely like to catch.

I remember reading somewhere that either Lennon or McCartney refers to Revolver as the album that is out of tune. I always get a kick out of that. (It kinda is out of tune!) Definitely the “bridge” album (although the American release, Yesterday and Today, which contained some songs from the UK releases Help!, Rubber Soul, and Revolver (as well as some singles), actually acts a better “bridge” between the “Mop Tops” to the studio artists they became.)

Mr Arkadin:

Once gain leaping before I look. Thanks for the link. After having mentioned Deface the Music, I actually pulled it out and finally digitized it. It includes a “pop” in one of the tracks that is so much a part of the song for me now, that I doubt I’ll get the official release. (Just one of the great things about vinyl, each individual album has its own unique sound.)

Chris/Bryce,

I’m unsure exactly what songs I’d ever discard from The White Album. Even Revolution 9 has its charms. ("Block that kick. Block that kick.") This is an album, for me, where the whole is far superior to the parts, but I’m unsure that the whole would be better when some of those parts are removed. I even like Wild Honey Pie, so what do i know?

Chris: The best version of Let it Be is actually Get Back, the Glyn Johns mix that was discarded when Phil Specter was brought on board. This is much more in keeping with their original intent, to make a “live” in-studio album, and doesn’t have those horrible strings. Let It Be--Naked, while okay, is too sterile.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
inglis

white album

Post by inglis »

I Love The White Album .I do have to say that years ago when I first heard it I thought gee what happened .I was so used to Love Love Me Do and well you know the songs of that time..It was not till I was older that I truly started to appreciate the White Album as a true art form . Magnicent story telling set to some fantastic music. Martha My Dear is one of my faves on the album.I love the piano playing its so old dance hall style ,Dear Prudence ,which I read in Bob Spitz's book is about Mia Farrows sister being bummed out and did not want to talk to anybody when they went to see the Maharishi.Piggies Savoy Truffle I love them all . It came with 4 8x10 pics and there was also if I can remember a book and there was pictutes of what the Beatles would look like when they got older .I think it was inside that album maybe one of you could confirm .Who would have thought years later that Lennon would go like he did and Harrison dying of cancer . Man what a bummer! I went to NewYork in 83 and saw Strawberry Fields it was a heavy moment for me and saw the Dakota where Lennon lived.I am glad to have had the chance to see this beautiful memorial to Lennon but sad as well .
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

MichiganJ wrote:
Chris/Bryce,

I’m unsure exactly what songs I’d ever discard from The White Album. Even Revolution 9 has its charms. ("Block that kick. Block that kick.") This is an album, for me, where the whole is far superior to the parts, but I’m unsure that the whole would be better when some of those parts are removed. I even like Wild Honey Pie, so what do i know?
The whole works because of the range of styles. Like them or not there are not many groups where there is a "Honey Pie" and "Helter Skelter." An "Everybody's Got Something To Hide... " and Julia." "While My Guitar Gently Weeps and "Savoy Trouble." Even as you point out "Revolution 9" has a burn in my head. If I hear "number 9" anywhere I hear that phrase.
It's wide ranging if nothing else.
Last edited by movieman1957 on September 2nd, 2008, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

inglis wrote:
It came with 4 8x10 pics and there was also if I can remember a book and there was pictutes of what the Beatles would look like when they got older .I think it was inside that album maybe one of you could confirm
The White Album came with the four 8 X 10 photos you mentioned (in which Lennon refused to have the zit on his forehead air-brushed out.--The individual photos, I think, represents the album well, in that the songs on the White Album hardly portrays a united group, but rather four individuals contributing their own songs.) Also included inside the gatefold was a poster consisting of a montage of snapshots and such. The reverse had the lyrics of all of the songs (except, for reasons unexplained, Revolution 9 ).

I’m unsure about the book you refer to showing the aged Beatles. I do have an old National Lampoon magazine (it may be Mad magazine, I don’t remember), that had "photos" of the Beatles in old age. As I recall, John was the only one bald. Would have been great to see if that turned out to be true.

Chris wrote:
Even as you point out "Revolution 9" has a burn in my head. If I hear "number 9" anywhere I hear that phrase.
It really is true that when you play the “number 9” backwards, it says, “turn me on deadman”, albeit very warbly. Freaked out a lot of my students. Particularly when I recorded them counting from “number 1 to number 10”, played it back backwards, and they too said, “turn me on deadman.”
inglis

snaps and such

Post by inglis »

Michigan!
You are a wealth of knowledge. That is a very interesting tibit about Lennons zit. The poster you speak of included in the White Album , I remember that now .My brother had that hanging up in his room .I wish I could remember those shots of them aging .They were done in b&w and I believe they were drawn with charcoal or pencil,anyway thanks for the info, always a pleasure yaking about the boys with you, Cheers Inglis
bryce

Sing a song of happiness to me.

Post by bryce »

I've been listening to a ton of Mudhoney this week in anticipation of the show tonight. It's the 20th anniversary of their incredible album Bigmuff Superfuzz. Nirvana is often cited as the band that made grunge famous, but without Mudhoney, there wouldn't even have been a genre for Nirvana to make famous in the first place. As if this show couldn't get any better...

Melba Toast, the best band in Texas, open. Adam Mixson might be a close friend of mine, but that doesn't bias my opinion. Doubt it? Check their page and listen to "Icy Sleep" and "Yellowbelly" and then doubt Adam's songwriting prowess. Now, a shocker: he's only 23. Here comes another one: this incarnation of the band has only existed since 2006. Out of left field: the incarnation (different bassist) of the band that recorded the two songs only existed for a month prior to recording. They're that good. Even better live. All songs written by one man, too: Adam. Backed by his younger brother Alex, who is a prodigy well before his time (he's only 18!), on drums, his good friend Brandon (who has the best stage presence ever) and a seemingly revolving door of bassists.

Now, I assume you've listened to "Icy Sleep" and "Yellowbelly" and if not, get to it. Don't come back until you're done. Done? All right, now I'm sending you back to check out "Screwball". What do you hear? Everything from Mudhoney to Sonic Youth, Neil Young to top 40 country, Beatles to Cheap Trick, Dinosaur Jr to My Morning Jacket. Adam and Melba Toast, in whatever incarnation they should take, are one day going to rule the airwaves and many, many, many iPods and cd players.

When I say they are the best band in Texas (perhaps the nation), I don't say it lightly, and I mean it. Tonight I am more excited to see them than Mudhoney, as everyone else should be, though they don't know it yet. Had they existed in the 60s and 70s they would've been bigger than Lynyrd Skynyrd, and that ain't no easy feat.

I might be pouring the praise on a bit thick, but listen for yourself and I'm sure you'll agree.

(Other killer tunes up on their page include the "Very Ape"-esque demo "I'm Out You're Ok," which is their most grunge-like tune and, in fact, could just be better than anything they've ever written that would've made them famous in 1994 and "Get Gone", a real sleeper that's guaranteed to be a fan favorite)
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Okay, as the piles of discs finally toppled over, I figure it’s time to file some away.

Jethro Tull--Too Old to Rock and Roll: Too Young to Die--Not the greatest Tull album (that would be Songs From the Wood), but it sums up the last few months...

Kate Bush--The Dreaming--I pull this out every Halloween (Get Out of My House is downright scary!)

Kate Bush--Lionheart--Had to listen to Hammer Horror, too!

Kate Bush--This Woman’s Work--What the hey, right? Might as well go the whole distance with the box set (is it just me, or are Kate Bush’s b-sides and rarities as good, or better than her other work? She and PJ Harvey should release their hard-to-find stuff, but quick!)

Van Morrison--Still on Top (Greatest Hits)--I know, greatest hits albums don’t count, but I’m woefully behind in Morrison (so much so, that I had no idea Wild Night was his song! I love the bass line in Wild Night, so the edge goes to Mellencamp just because the bass is higher in the mix)

King Crimson--Beat--Not the best King Crimson album, but still one of my favorites (I wonder if Robert Fripp can actually play a simple chord?)

Bob Dylan--Tell Tale Signs--I love the Bootleg series, and this new addition is welcome. Just wish he’d go back a little further and grab some rarities from the Slow Train/Infidels era.

Circle Jerks--Golden Shower of Hits--What can I say? When the pain killers weren’t enough...

Carla Bruni--Comme Si De Rien N’Était--France’s First Lady puts out another fabulous album, her third. Brilliant.

The Band--Music From Big Pink--Been in a Band mood a lot lately. Also pulled out Cahoots, Northern Lights-Southern Cross, and The Last Waltz (which is what led me to the Van Morrison)

The Pretenders--Break Up the Concrete--At just over thirty-minutes, Chrissie and the gang continue to rock

The Cramps--Songs the Lord Taught Us--Halloween again. Much to my wife’s chagrin, I continued to blast Zombie Dance and I was a Teenage Werewolf for the little trick-or-treaters

Rockpile--Seconds of Pleasure--Hours of pleasure is more like it. A perfect album.

Paul McCartney and Wings--Wingspan--I know, another greatest hits album, but I’m not ashamed to say I love Wings, and this is a pretty good sampling. The much maligned solo McCartney has plenty to offer. Even a “goofy” song like Silly Love Songs has a killer bass line (although I have no defense for Let 'em In, and please, let us just erase from our collective memories any collaborations with one, M. Jackson).

Ciccone Youth--The Whitey Album--Not enough Kim Gordon (there’s never enough Kim Gordon). This album cracks me up. Dunno why....

XTC--Drums and Wires--Been awhile since I pulled this gem out. Holds up quite nicely.

Yes-Relayer--Pretentious rock doesn’t get any better (worse?) than Gates of Delirium

Lots more, but enough for now...
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Lionheart is a great album, but then you knew that:

Wild Night was originally released on Morrison's Tupelo Honey (1971). If you're looking for some interesting bass playing (albeit standup), check out his 1968 masterpiece Astral Weeks.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Thanks for the recommendation. My local CD shop didn’t have Astral Weeks in stock so I put it on order. Wound up picking up Moondance. I love the tune And It Stoned Me, which wasn’t included on the “hits” disc I have.

(By the way, completely agree about Lionheart. For some reason, though, I keep pulling out The Sensual World and/or Hounds of Love when I’m in a Kate Bush mood. Haven’t warmed up to Aerial much; don’t know why.)
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

MichiganJ wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. My local CD shop didn’t have Astral Weeks in stock so I put it on order. Wound up picking up Moondance. I love the tune And It Stoned Me, which wasn’t included on the “hits” disc I have.

(By the way, completely agree about Lionheart. For some reason, though, I keep pulling out The Sensual World and/or Hounds of Love when I’m in a Kate Bush mood. Haven’t warmed up to Aerial much; don’t know why.)
Moondance is a great album. My personal favorites of Van Morrison are:

Astral Weeks
Moondance
Band and Street Choir
Tupelo Honey

Totally agree about Kate. I love all her stuff, but I think her best work is The Dreaming and Hounds of Love.

I do enjoy this classic however:

[youtube][/youtube]

Aerial seems to be more of an ambient nature than normal song structure. I like the album, but there are other people who do that style much better.
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Another batch to file:

David Bowie--The Buddha of Suburbia--Certainly Bowie’s best album in many years, may even be in the top five of his best. Fits nicely with his mid-late 70’s era work (Station to Station and into the Eno albums thru to Scary Monsters). The entire album is brilliant, but the title song (both versions) is Bowie at his best.

David Gilmour--On an Island--Every time I put this away, I wind up pulling it back out. Love it.

Depeche Mode--Some Great Reward--Was in the mood to hear Blasphemous Rumours

Dire Straits--Love Over Gold--Probably my favorite Dire Straits album

Dixie Chicks--Taking the Long Way Home--certainly NOT country music (whatever that is), this album rocks! Lullaby sends chills down my spine.

Django Reinhardt--Djangologie USA--back in the day, whenever there would be a “who is the greatest guitar player” debate (it always came down to Eddie Van Halen Vs. Eric Clapton), I’d muddy the waters with Django. I won...

Donna Summer--Love To Love You Baby--Boy did I ever hate disco as a kid. But this song (especially the album’s 16-minute version) did things I didn’t quite comprehend. Still don’t...

The Dukes of Stratosphere--Chips From the Chocolate Factory--XTC channeling the psychedelic Beatles. Who can resist 25 O’Clock?

Blondie--The Hunter--Their last album (before the reunion) is better now than it was on its release. No standout songs, just a good solid (toe-tapping) album.

Elliott Smith--From a Basement on the Hill--Oh Elliott, the best was yet to come...

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers--Their first album clocks in at exactly 30-minutes. (The next one would be even longer!) Brilliant.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers--Let Me Up (I’ve Had Enough)--Even “bad” Petty is good.

Mudcrutch--Good Petty is great Petty.

Paul Simon--Still Crazy After All These Years--I remember when Simon sang this on Saturday Night Live...in a Turkey outfit! (It was the show with George Harrison as the musical guest). Too many great Simon songs, but My Little Town ranks way high.

Lou Reed--Coney Island Baby--Keep trying to figure out which is Lou’s best album. I thought it was New York or Berlin, but now I think it’s this one. At the very least, the title song is one of his best.

Aerosmith--Rocks--They did, too, before all of the power ballads...

Tom Waits--Brawlers, Bawlers & Bastards--Three times the Waits equals three times the greatness. His covers are amazing (especially The Ramones The Return of Jackie and Judy)

Rolling Stones--Emotional Rescue--This is a case of time and place. The time, summer 1980. The place; my best friend’s driveway. WNEW-FM has just received an early copy of the new Stones album and is playing tracks from it throughout the day while my friend and I take hacksaws to his VW Beetle, fitting a new fiberglass hood (a 40’s Ford style), and extending the back, making the car look like a hearse for munchkins. The car succeeded in doing what my friend wanted, made girl’s look at him....but I don’t think they looked in quite the way he intended. For the record, the album is okay, but I really love Down in a Hole.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I remember the SNL show well. One of the best parts of "My Little Town" is in the middle of the song there is this great background vocals with a very dissonant chord. Just adds a little edge to it. I have it from Garfunkel's "Breakaway."

I always thought that it was an interesting deal that they would record a song and then put it on their own solo albums.

My list would not be as interesting as yours but Rachmaninoff was involved.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Another batch to put away:

Eurythmics--Savage--my favorite Eurythmics album. Annie's intro scream on I Need a Man is worth the price of admission.

Me'Shell Ndegéocello--The World Has Made Me The Man of My Dreams--haunting, sexy, lyrical...and lots of bass

Van Morrison--Astral Weeks/Tupelo Honey--These haven't left the downstairs CD player. My wife and I dance (well, I sway, she dances) as we make weekend dinners---(A thousand thanks, Mr. Akradin, for the recommendations!)

Black Sabbath--Sabotage--sometimes nothing but Ozzy will do

Laura Nyro--Angel in the Dark--and sometimes nothing but Nyro will do. One of the best songwriters/song interpreters out there.

Cheap Trick--Cheap Trick/In Color/Heaven Tonight--nostalgic for when rock 'n roll was fun (while I like In Color, okay, Hello There and I Want You To Want Me rock much harder on Budokan)

The Beatles--The White Album--My wife and I listen to this every year while decorating the X-mas tree (by the time Revolution 9 was over I had the lights untangled)

Vince Guaraldi Trio--A Charlie Brown Christmas--Could they have found a better musician to accompany Charlie Brown (and especially Snoopy)? Christmas Time is Here is the saddest, (and greatest) Christmas song.

Blossom Dearie--My Gentleman Friend--back in the fall, while recovering, I visited Dewey's Record Party (when my computer would still load the thread) and somebody spun a Blossom tune. Didn't know her, but I do now (thanks to the Blossom fan!), and this is my current favorite album.

Marvin Gaye--What's Going On--Certainly in my top 10 greatest albums ever is even better in the Deluxe Edition. Disc two contains a concert at the Kennedy Center, and Gaye sounds better live than in the studio. Absolutely brilliant....

The Fireman--Electric Arguments--Paul McCartney never ceases to amaze. This album rocks harder than expected, has no discernible "hits", and is the better for it. The best album of 2008. (For the record, some other artists who rated in '08 include: Mudcrutch/Vampire Weekend/Brian Eno-David Byrne/Sigur Rós/The Pretenders/Radiohead, etc)
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Laura Nyro--Angel in the Dark--and sometimes nothing but Nyro will do. One of the best songwriters/song interpreters out there.
Oh my, now I have to track this down. I have her albums through With LaBelle on vinyl and then just lost track. Eli and... is an album for the ages. That and Tim Buckley's Goodbye and Hello (and did I mention Tim Hardin?) kept me alive in high school.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
bryce

Post by bryce »

Cheap Trick--Cheap Trick/In Color/Heaven Tonight--nostalgic for when rock 'n roll was fun (while I like In Color, okay, Hello There and I Want You To Want Me rock much harder on Budokan)
Did you ever listen to their studio recreation of the album with Steve Albini?