Post by Rita Hayworth »

Moody Blues

Nights in White Satin - Extended Version

[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Re: What are you listening to?

Post by movieman1957 »

Nice to hear there are other Moodies fans around. They have always been one of my favorites. If you didn't know Justin Hayward released a solo album a little over two months ago. Nice work.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

MASHA--my husband just made me watch that video the other day. It is bizarre! Yet fun. Do you think they were being tongue-in-cheek or are they seriously pretentious? Hard to say.

Sandy K
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

I always listen to music when I'm on the computer. Sometimes I listen to music on Spotify, which I love, because they have so much on there. It's great for checking out new music and also for finding artists that are just new to ME. I have some great playlists that I've made on there:

Tiki Lounge--Exotica from the 1950's-60's like Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman, Les Baxter, plus some contemporary artists that are creating that sound like The Tikiyaki Orchestra, and surf type music like The Tiki Tones and The Surfers.

Sandy's vinyl--a list of almost ALL of the vinyl albums that I had in the 1980's. It's SO GREAT to be able to listen to it all again.

Sandy's Lounge--my place for Mel Torme, Ella Fitzgerald, Frank, Dean, Peggy Lee, Sarah Vaughan, etc. Kind of my jazz and standards mega list.

Classic movie musicals--YES! there are tons of songs from movie soundtracks of the golden age.

I also make playlists from the music that I have on my Windows media player. One goofy thing that I like to do is have playlists for songs starting with each letter of the alphabet. Like all songs that start with the letter "T". I combine J/K, Q/R, and Y/Z because K, Q and Z don't have that many song titles starting with those letters. It makes for fun, diverse playlists.

Today so far, while listening to my T songs list, I've heard Together by She & Him, Till We Meet Again by Doris Day, Traffic Jam by Artie Shaw, Trav'lin' Light by Ella Fitzgerald, Talk of the Town by The Pretenders, That's Alright by Laura Mvula, etc.

Anyone else like making playlists?

Sandy K
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh, I never thought of doing that, Sandy! I must be so behind the times. It's like a mixed tape that you send to yourself! :D
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Creating playlists plays right into my obsessive nature.

I have 31 on Pandora and 7 on my Mac (created at-the-last-minute from a portion of my CD collection in order to avoid transporting CDs when we made our temporary move in March).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I didn't know you could make playlists for yourself on Pandora. I signed up for it when it first came out, but if you entered a name, like say, Ella Fitzgerald, it would play its own playlist based on your first request, rather than songs you wanted to add. So you might get one Ella Fitzgerald song, and then Sarah Vaughn, Peggy Lee, and on and on until you were so far from Ella's style that you switched it off.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

You're right, JF. I was perhaps using "playlist" too loosely regarding Pandora. Sometimes it's fun because it will play things that you weren't aware of or would never have thought of. Then there are the eight straight recordings that have nothing to do with your station, like tonight - "It's Chicago Music, you idiots. What's this Motown junk?"
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I do like it when I can find new recordings similar to what I like, but yeah, after a while I find myself skipping over songs so much that I just turn it off. I want to hear GOOD music, and it doesn't always provide that. And if I end up going back and forth, skipping over every other song, then what's the point? Sorry to be so curmudgeonly about it. :evil: :D :D

I have to investigate Sandy's Spotify playlists now. Most certainly that's the way to go, since she has such good taste!
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Yes, it's annoying when Pandora plays something that seems random! I listen to Spotify more, now. I still like Pandora, though.

Wendy--are you on Spotify? I'll look for you.

Sandy K
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

No. I went on this morning but I haven't gotten very far. Is it free, or do you have to pay for it?