What are you listening to?

Chit-chat, current events
bobhopefan1940

What are you listening to?

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Just curious... Are you into new music, old music? Personally, I barely listen to anything that is out on the air waves to day. I like to go back and find the gems of the past, like artists such as KC & The Sunshine Band and Bill Monroe. I also listen to ABBA :oops: and The Carpenters :oops: :oops:

Ok, I listen to some newer music, too... But rarely does it fall into the mainstream. I like artists like Kevin Max and Lifehouse. What about you? What are you listening to? You can also off up talk radio, if you like.
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

I checked out the Nouvelle Vague cover of the Lords of the New Church's "Dance With Me," which is the song used on May's TCM ad. I gotta admit that it's a bit weird hearing lyrics like "Let's dance little stranger, show me secret sins, love can be like bondage, seduce me once again" on a TCM ad, but it's a nice cover of a good song.

Lately I've been on a psychedelic trance kick, listening to Alien Project, 1200 Mic, and Infected Mushroom. This follows a Johnny Cash kick.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Just discovered a fantastic young British r&b singer named Amy Winehouse. She has a new CD out called "Back to Black" and it's the best new r&b recording I've heard in several years. Each track has something great and powerful going for it; much of it is reminiscent of mid-60s Motown with a heavy, funky backbeat and extremely catchy melodies. Lyrically, she's tough as nails with uncompromising tunes about love, sex, drugs, booze and life. If you're a fan of rugged but beautiful soul music then you owe it to yourself to check this one out!!!!
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I've been in a Gershwin mode of late, revisiting 'Rhapsody in Blue" after a long time. Also taking time out for some Lyle Lovett and my new fave, Diana Krall's recent album, From This Moment On. I enjoy Krall's artful tossing off of "Isn't It a Lovely Day", "Exactly Like You" and "How Insensitive" in this low key album. The fact that she was very pregnant with twins when she recorded this is also mildly impressive.

Dewey, I love the Bilko avatar!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

The Beatles: The Moody Blues: Dan Fogelberg: The Rippingtons: Jane Olivor (anyone heard of her?): Earl Klugh: Andy Williams: John Barry and others

Beethoven: Brahms: Tchaikovsky: Copland
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

Dewey, thanks for the tip on Amy Winehouse. I saw her video on MTVHits and was intrigued, but hesitated to buy the cd just on hearing one song. Now I may check it out.

I like a lot of standards, lounge, swing, but I also like modern stuff, too. One of my favorites is Rufus Wainwright.

This morning I have listened to No Doubt's Singles cd, Baz Luhrman's Something for Everybody, which has music from his films, Shaken & Stirred which is techno and pop versions of James Bond themes, and the original cast album from State Fair, the Broadway musical with John Davidson and Andrea McArdle.

Which is unusual for me because I rarely listen to show tunes even though I love to perform in musicals. I grew out of my show tune phase sometime after high school. Consequently, I could sing the whole score for Fiddler on the Roof, or The Music Man, but not one song from Rent or Wicked.

Next up is Swing and Dance with Frank Sinatra.

Sandy K
Erebus

Post by Erebus »

jondaris wrote:I checked out the Nouvelle Vague cover of the Lords of the New Church's "Dance With Me," which is the song used on May's TCM ad. I gotta admit that it's a bit weird hearing lyrics like "Let's dance little stranger, show me secret sins, love can be like bondage, seduce me once again" on a TCM ad, but it's a nice cover of a good song.
Nice to see somebody mention that little track. I was familiar with the original but had to do some research to identify the Nouvelle cover. Even sprung for the 99 cents to get it at iTunes. Given the lyrics, and the Muse track they used last year, sounds like somebody in the TCM promo tent has a taste for darker modern rock. Not exactly my thing, but the "Dance With Me" melody is sweet, and the lo-fi, almost sixtyish little girl vocals really get me.

P.S. This is my inaugural Refugee post. Thanks for the invite.
sandykaypax

Post by sandykaypax »

JohnM wrote:
sandykaypax wrote: and the original cast album from State Fair, the Broadway musical with John Davidson and Andrea McArdle.

Which is unusual for me because I rarely listen to show tunes even though I love to perform in musicals. I grew out of my show tune phase sometime after high school. Consequently, I could sing the whole score for Fiddler on the Roof, or The Music Man, but not one song from Rent or Wicked.

Next up is Swing and Dance with Frank Sinatra.

Sandy K
That's because when you heard the music from Rent and Wicked, you didn't want to sing it! The only musical in the last 35 years that had music that I really loved, was Ragtime.
LOL! John, so true! Actually, I was in a production of Ragtime last summer. I played Emma Goldman. I had a blast.

Sandy K
benwhowell

Post by benwhowell »

Today I'm listening to the "'40's oldies" station on AOL Radio.
Last weekend I played Beck's "The Information," The Beach Boys' "Pet Sounds" and a "Sunday Morning Jazz" 3 disc CD compilation.
I recently picked up Macy Gray's "Big," but I haven't played it yet.
Anxious to get Lucinda Williams'"West." (Still playing "Car Wheels On a Gravel Road" and lovin' it!)
I recently scored at Dollar Tree-picking up VHS copies of documentaries/concert films of Joni Mitchell, Lou Reed and Diana Krall ("Live In Paris") for 99 cents each!!
Also into Bessie Smith lately...
benwhowell

The Empress Of The Blues

Post by benwhowell »

St. Louis Blues
pktrekgirl
Administrator

Post by pktrekgirl »

I like all sorts of music - classical, big band, 60's rock, 80's rock, 90's rock and some stuff from today.

Not a big fan of country though, unless it is Garth Brooks, The Dixie Chicks, or Alabama.

My favorite classical composer is Mozart. But I like tons of others.

My favorite big band is probably Glen Miller. But I also like Benny Goodman and various others.

My favorite rock musician is (and has been for a couple of decades) Bruce Springsteen. I think he is marvelous - both musically and personally. I have met him IRL, and he was a very nice person. I was glad about that, considering how successful he has been.

More recent rock musicians/groups I really love are Pearl Jam, The Goo Goo Dolls, Green Day, Counting Crows, Alanis Morissette, Bon Jovi...and yes, I LIKE Nickelback. :P
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I like just about anything, but rap.

My tastes range from Debussy, Ives, Bix Beiderbecke, Charlie Parker,Sonny Rollins, Motown, Willie Nelson, The Beatles, Black Sabbath, Todd Rundgren, P Funk/Bootsy Collins, Kate Bush, The Smiths, Kings X, Soundgarden, etc.