Whatcha cookin' for Thanksgiving?

Chit-chat, current events
ken123

Re: Whatcha cookin' for Thanksgiving?

Post by ken123 »

I just discovered that my range is on the frizt. I guess that I'll have to use the micro wave and heat up some TV turkey dinners. :( :cry: :wink:
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Ha... Miss Finnie... I would have to revise your poem... "I'd never eat a beet... UNLESS it was PICKLED!!" ha. (I love those purple beauties.. so long as they are TANGY. But to just eat a beet w/out the pickling... ugh. I pass) ha

We always have the traditional "Midwest" Thanksgiving meal around here. (it is just about my favorite meal to COOK as it is to eat...ha) Turkey, homemade cranberry sauce, dressing, Potatoes... (two kinds of course... mashed.. and sweet) and don't forget the green bean cassarole.. covered in those FRENCH FRIED onions.. yum.) Homemade rolls (or storebought, depending on how much extra time there is) and then we have PUMPKIN... CHERRY.... and APPLE pies usually. Although I HAVE been known to throw in a banana cream or chocolate cream (both topped w/ meringue... NEVER CoolWhip..ha) instead of going the fruit pie route.

My two specialties are the dressing and the cranberries. Whenever we do the extended family dinner bit (which we are this year) that is what I get to bring. My dressing is cornbread and white bread mixed... starting out w/ the cornbread cooked and the bread crumbs GOOD and stale. Then add onion, celery, sage, and lots of other spices and such, etc, etc... and I use the turkey drippings and broth to make it... and so long as you get it PLENTY wet before baking... it comes out moist everytime. (I HATE dry stuffing)

OH.. and a nod to my dear departed grandma (because she made this every year... and then I took over for her later) we ALWAYS have cherry salad.. (it is cherry pie filling w/ marshmallows, crushed pineapple, sweetened condensed milk, and CoolWhip) It makes a TON and we usually have half for Thanksgiving... and then I freeze the rest.. and we have it again for CHRISTMAS... always a FAVE around the Rohanaka house)

I hope you and everyone here has a VERY happy and blessed Thanksgiving weekened. Best wishes.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Yum! I want to come to your house.

It is all pretty straight for me. Going to Mom and Dad's. Turkey, stuffing, rolls, etc. I try and stay away from vegetables. (Yuck!) Apple pie for dessert. Pretty boring am I.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
rohanaka

Post by rohanaka »

Well, come on down, Mr. Movieman..ha. We midwest folks know how to fill up a table with food. And if you walk away hungry... well... its nobody's fault but your own...ha. You and your lovely bride would be most welcome!! :D
movieman1957 wrote:I try and stay away from vegetables. (Yuck!) Apple pie for dessert. Pretty boring am I
YOU boring??? Say it aint so!! ha. Oh brother...YOU and FrankGrimes..ha. (When it comes to food, HE is a "non veggie boring guy" as well) :roll: ha. BUT.. hey.. I think THIS year might be one of those years I go with the chocolate cream pie (with meringue) so if there is no apple pie, don't be disappointed... at least you would still get your CHOCOLATE fix..ha. :D
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

Chris, no sauerkraut?
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm so hungry after reading your thread.

Tomorrow I've prepared tea already, lasagne and fresh baked hot cross buns, I know it's not the right season but we love 'em.

Enjoy your day.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

Professional Tourist wrote:now that we have no family left in south eastern Massachusetts:
PT;

You wouldn't perchance be referencing the environs of New Bedford and/or Fall River, wouldja? If so, our ancestors just might have arrived in the New World via the same harbor (mine, from Petershead, Scotland).
Linguica, btw, I find nearly as tasty as haggis!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

jondaris wrote:Chris, no sauerkraut?
No way. Smells up the place.
Chris

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

rohanaka wrote:Well, come on down, Mr. Movieman..ha. We midwest folks know how to fill up a table with food. And if you walk away hungry... well... its nobody's fault but your own...ha. You and your lovely bride would be most welcome!! :D
movieman1957 wrote:I try and stay away from vegetables. (Yuck!) Apple pie for dessert. Pretty boring am I
YOU boring??? Say it aint so!! ha. Oh brother...YOU and FrankGrimes..ha. (When it comes to food, HE is a "non veggie boring guy" as well) :roll: ha. BUT.. hey.. I think THIS year might be one of those years I go with the chocolate cream pie (with meringue) so if there is no apple pie, don't be disappointed... at least you would still get your CHOCOLATE fix..ha. :D
Chocolate fix? Great. Yes I'm boring (or so it seems.) I like to tell people that for my senior year in high school I was voted "Most Likely To Be Forgotten."

I've never been to your part of the country. Someday....
Chris

Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

klondike wrote:PT;

You wouldn't perchance be referencing the environs of New Bedford and/or Fall River, wouldja? If so, our ancestors just might have arrived in the New World via the same harbor (mine, from Petershead, Scotland).
Linguica, btw, I find nearly as tasty as haggis!
Yes, I would. My mother's side immigrated from the Azores to New Hampshire, then they moved a bit farther south to the Fall River area because they found the New Hampshire winters too harsh. My mother was the last of our immediate family in the area, and she moved out west five years ago. I lived in Fall River for two years myself, back in the seventies. :)

P.S. I love linguiça but have never tasted haggis. I had opportunity when I visited Scotland (which I loved to bits and pieces) back in '91, but I don't eat sheep/lamb, so turned it down.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hey Gang!
Tidings of the Day from the Venice of Vermont!
I just remembered that we also have a family tradition concerning breakfast on Thanksgiving & Xmas, namely: pan-fried puffed wheat; this one definitely came about from my sister's household, some 35 / 40 years ago, with her kids, though no one can now seem to remember the why or wherefore of it! :roll: :roll: :roll:
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

movieman1957 wrote:
It's just not thanksgiving without sauerkraut.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

It was a long time before I ever heard anyone having it as part of their Thanksgiving. Growing up in a generic family and marrying into an Irish/Italian one it was never part of the menu.

My bride had heard of it being part of a New Year's dinner but not Thanksgiving.

Have a great one Jon.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

jondaris wrote:
movieman1957 wrote:
It's just not thanksgiving without sauerkraut.
Is it possible that this item might be part of a Baltimore tradition with roots in that city's German immigrant population? Sounds like quite the side dish!
klondike wrote:I just remembered that we also have a family tradition concerning breakfast on Thanksgiving & Xmas, namely: pan-fried puffed wheat; this one definitely came about from my sister's household, some 35 / 40 years ago, with her kids, though no one can now seem to remember the why or wherefore of it! :roll: :roll: :roll:
So, is this good or just something likely to appeal to a five year old's appetite?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
klondike

Post by klondike »

moirafinnie wrote: So, is this good or just something likely to appeal to a five year old's appetite?
I think it's a jim-dandy treat!
Quite toothsome, with a dry, nutty-grain flavor and a catchy, popcorn-like texture; as it's equally consumable by spoon or fingers, it can be noshed from hand, cup, bowl or even picky-plucked from the still-warm pan.
It's quick to fix, too; just melt a pat o' butter in a pan, shake in the puffed wheat and then just stir-toast with a fork til it takes the desired warmth & darkness.