Comfort foods

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: Comfort foods

Post by RedRiver »

Lord help me! Mrs. Field's Cookies in toteable boxes. Eight to a box. Guess how many I ate in one sitting? Eight, of course! Duh!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Oh I'm not sorry I went, it was interesting just to satisfy my curiosity. It has potential, they just need to provide more selection, especially in such a competitive area with both Costco and Target next door. I really believe that offering better quality stuff would make them stand out.
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

MissGoddess wrote:I went to Aldi's...I'm afraid it was very limited. It was small and most of the items were processed foods. I did pick up a package of vine tomatoes for $1.29 and 3-pack paper towels for $1.49 but I'm afraid it's not enough to warrant a return trip. :D But it was a fun trip anyway. I got the kits some of that "Fresh Pet" stuff they sell in the refrigerated section at Target, which they promptly sniffed and turned their noses up at it. Oh well.
What a waste of time. I'm so sorry that it didn't provide more choice, esp. of fresh veggies and fruit. Between trips to Aldi's you could always come up to the Rochester area and shop here. We have one of the best farmer's markets in the country. It's only an eight hour+ trip here. :?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

hee! i'm sure the produce up there is MUCH better...and fresher!
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I think that's the problem with Aldi, some of the stores are small, ours just doesn't have enough parking anymore, so popular it has become. I would encourage you to contact Aldi with your comments, they have quite a good reputation here of responding to customer needs. I noce had to contact them and they couldn't do enough for me, took my comments on board and expened the fresh produce that they carried. It doesn't carry everything but now it covers a good selection of seasonal and the staple picks of fruit and veg.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm getting hooked on the hot dogs at Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Yes, they specialize in burgers. But I'm a hot dog man! There are worse habits. The problem is the price. The dogs are good, but they're not THAT good!
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Hot dogs are something that should never, ever be pricey. but if they can charge $8 for popcorn at movies, anything is possible!

Since poor people food staples (hot dogs, MacDonald's, etc) are now expensive, what is the new poor people food? I guess mac & cheese is still an option. And in NYC they have .99 pizza by the slice.
-- Will Rogers
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

You are so right! Hot dogs used to be a dollar. OK, that was a long time ago. But $3.50? That's absurd!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

MissGoddess wrote: And in NYC they have .99 pizza by the slice.
Wow, In my hometown it is anywhere $1.29 to $1.99 a slice!

.99 pizza ... care to air-mail me a slice of Italian Pie Miss Goddess!
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Speaking of Hot Dogs, there aree so many varieties I'll bet you all have your favorites. The street trucks sell "dirty water" dogs with all the toppings. Grilled dogs (franks) are good too but my favorite is from a 70 year old road side restaurant in Clifton, New Jersey called Rutts Hut. They have been boiling them in oil since before WWII and everyone loves them. They have their own homemade mustard relish that works great. Of course you could always add chile or sauerkraut.

I do not like the midwest treatment of the dog with lettuce, tomatoe, onions and pickles. To me that hides the dog and becomes a salad.

What is your favorite dog???
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

My kids like frankenfurters, are they called the same in the States? I let them have them every couple of weeks but I've never gather the strength to read the ingredients, it can't be good. It seems that kids are just hard wired to love burgers, hot dogs, KFC and fries, not just them I've been known to enjoy them once in a while.

Popcorn, it's disgraceful what they can charge for it, it's one of the cheapest of food stuffs and so easy to make, of course you can't make your own in the cinema and it looks better in a bucket and that's why they get away with it. Do your cinemas allow patrons to take in their own snacks?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I am not a real hotdog fan. I am not snooty about it, but I prefer a hamburg anytime. Five Guys is too good! Add bacon...

I used to love Dairy Queen foot long chili dogs when I was a kid, with mustard on top and onions... nowadays it's all chili out of a can and tastes cheap.

My family's favorite dogs for home are of course the most expensive kind (Germans are picky), the Deutschmachers and the Hebrew Nationals.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I like midwest style. Thick and juicy with all the trimmings! Most of it falls off, but that's OK. Eat it with a fork!
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

JackFavell wrote:I am not a real hotdog fan. I am not snooty about it, but I prefer a hamburg anytime. Five Guys is too good! Add bacon...
I love Five Guys ... I go there every other Friday for dinner with friends and its great! ... Best Hamburgers Around! :D :D :D :D :D
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

unfortunately hot dogs make me sick so i can no longer eat them.
-- Will Rogers