Comfort foods

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: Comfort foods

Post by JackFavell »

Oh isn't it adorable? These are the things that grab me too, probably useless in the long run but seem like life changing appliances when you are staring at them... :D

I've used silicone pans for things like cupcakes and madeleines, but the truth is, they are a bit hard to negotiate in and out of the oven. I don't think they leave a taste, but popping the tasty treats out IS a plus, though you have to be careful not to roll them out onto the floor as they scatter every direction. :D

Well, MissG, we DID go to Aldi's this weekend! The entry was literally ALL junk food, so negotiating that was the hard part. We did end up getting some chips to try out, just because there are brands we don't know yet, and we needed a few snacks to have in the house since I was literally out of everything.

Some of the prices were great, some were no better than other stores, and the grapes were 2.58/lb, which is terrible if that's the sale price. So you really have to know your prices when you go. I didn't buy paper plates for the simple fact that I didn't know how much they were elsewhere.

But most of the stuff there is very reasonable, chicken was my big purchase, at 85 cents a pound, and cheese was also very reasonable. I even found some queso fresco which is turning up in lots of recipes lately. Olives, salt and celery were good prices, and we also got cantaloupe, a huge bag of potatoes, and squashes of different kinds.

I think like Moira said, this is a supplement store that might take a bit of will power to shop. I would go here first and then pick up the rest elsewhere, depending on prices. It was hardest for us not to get swayed by pumpkin pie ice cream, pumpkin whoopie pies and various other seasonal junk.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Thank you for the run-down! I have a friend who lives in Harlem so she's eager to check it out. We're going on Saturday. Was yours a bring-your-own-bag scenario?

p.s. "life changing appliance" - i love it!
:D :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Definitely don't forget your bags. They don't have any. And we got our cart from another shopper leaving. My husband, who has never been there before thinks maybe they charge for the carts? Can anyone please tell me if this is true or just something he made up out of a suspicious nature? :)

I forgot to add that we spent about 30% less than our usual shopping trips, but then again, we didn't find everything we were looking for. I was just the wee bit disappointed that there was so much junk food, but I am assuming that it's a highly variable store, depending on what they get into stock at any given time.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

my friend will probably love the junk food. :lol:

thank you VERY much for the cart warning because if i'm going that far i want to be prepared. there's a target store near Aldi's so maybe i'll have to nip in there first and buy one of those rolly-bag thingies i see shoppers using in the city.

something tells me i'm going to end up spending MORE just because it may turn out to be my one and only trip there, ha! i can't see it becoming a regular thing unless they really seduce me with prices on things i buy often.
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Ms G., they do not take checks, either. Cash or debit cards only. I am pretty sure the info is on their website.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

How could I forget! The carts cost a quarter, but you get the quarter back when you return the cart to the rack with the others (you'll see what I mean when you go there, though I am crossing my fingers that the Manhattan store doesn't charge more).

I popped into Aldi's this afternoon and found that they had 5lb. flour for 99 cents and 4lb. of sugar for the same. We only buy flour and sugar once a year (we don't use it much) but were almost out of both. Lately I have been reluctant to buy the 2.89 bags of both that have been in most grocery stores in the last few weeks. They also had clementines again at a low price. Best of all was a bone-in ham for .99 cents a lb. I got the smallest one, which will likely provide meals for the next week (and then become soup).

Thanks for the warning/advice about the silicone pans. I usually use Pam-type of products in most baking pans but it would be nice to make muffins without fussing with the paper cups someday. I'll look for a cheap one to try.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think, but am not sure, that you only have to grease the silicone pans once, after washing but before you first use them.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

thank you, nancy---i use my debit card most of the time anyway so that works for me. :)

WOW .99 for 5lbs of flour? I do like to bake so I may add that if I find they have it at mine. I like the idea of saving on "staples".

it should be interesting. why do i feel like we should put on knee-guards, face masks and roller blades when we go? :D
-- Will Rogers
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

How funny! I don't know about NYC shoppers, but at the stores out here, people are pretty calm. :roll: :roll:

A local chain is advertising Anderson & Erickson yogurts for .39 and that is my favorite brand, so I'll be stocking up. Wow, flour and sugar? Great time to stock up for the holidays. Ms G, I would recommend some kind of "rolly thingy" to take, I'm sure you will probably need it, especially if you have to schlep it home by foot. :shock:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The only problem with Aldi is that I can't get everything I want there, only about 85% which means I have to go to other stores. There is a lot of junk food, I think it's easier to produce for cheaper prices and there is a big market for junk, in our stores the fresh is all at the back whereas in other supermarkets the fruit is always at the front, which has always been a flaw because these are the produce you don't want to get squashed by other goods but it does look good to have fresh fruit and flowers in front.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

We have frozen food and a flower section at one door, and fresh fruits and veg at the opposite door in our supermarket... so we usually start at the fruit side and work our way to frozen, trying not to crush the fruit bag on the way.
charliechaplinfan

You want to try to keep the fragile stuff in good shape with an enthusiastic 7 year old boy, he loves doing the shopping, how many squashed loaves and broken eggs have I had, to say nothing of the fruit? At least at Aldi you can pack afterwards so we can keep our eye on him. I don't want to squash his enthusiasm for helping, he's a grand little boy.

We've just come back from Aldi, it might not have everything I need but it is a quick shop, we can usually get in and out in 30 minutes.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Our Aldi's have all the garbage foods when you first come in the door (chips, cookies, candy) so it is hell getting by there with a little kid. I always feel sorry for the Moms and Dads who are adamantly trying to get past this area to the milk, eggs, etc. that are the real reason for their trip.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

When, I was old enough to drive and being the youngest in the family ... my three oldest brothers (all were working, part-time, in college) and my Mom (was too busy doing other things, taking care of her parents and grandparents) and my Dad was working long hours at his profession. I did pretty much all the grocery shopping from 17 to 21 and I shop on the average of 3 hours a week at various stores and helped my Mom with the cooking too.
charliechaplinfan

Shopping can take hours, you are were a kind son Erik to do that for your Mum. Joe is like this, we do manage to get him past all the biscuits, cakes, chocolates by getting him one bag of sweets, his choice. I'm quite addicted to the jelly beans, a packet a week is a treat for me. I also like the dark chocolate 85% with is great for making brownies and even better for making a luxurious hot chocolate, it's cheap in comparison to other supermarkets too. Our Aldi has a fairtrade range now too. Other retailers could do to take a leaf out of Aldi's book.