Pet Peeves

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: Pet Peeves

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I'm going to stand up for texting, it does have a place and can be useful. It enables me to stay in touch with my husband during the day without the need for disturbing secretaries and senidng someone down to his classroom. His phone's on silent so it doesn't disturb the kids. Many of my friends work long hours and we only get to communicate at night, instead of ringing the house phone and disturbing kids we can text one another first to see if the other is available (if only grandparents would do this). The best use of text messaging was when my friend's child was seriously ill in the children's hospital, it was thought he had a cancerous tumour, he didn't thank goodness but I texted my friend regularly and she said it kept her going to think someone on the outside was caring and thinking about them all the while. As with everytihng moderation I suppose is the key.

I often think if more people ate as a family around a dinner table and communicated the world would be a better place.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
klondike

Post by klondike »

charliechaplinfan wrote: The best use of text messaging was when my friend's child was seriously ill in the children's hospital, it was thought he had a cancerous tumour, he didn't thank goodness but I texted my friend regularly and she said it kept her going to think someone on the outside was caring and thinking about them all the while.
Allison, not to chug this entire train off its correct track, but does this indeed mean that cellular phones (or as you call 'em, mobiles) are allowed to be used in UK hospitals/medical centers?
charliechaplinfan

Well, no not really but no doubt people do use them.

My friend was staying in the children's hospital with her son and when other family members came she would be able to get some fresh air and see that someone was there for her in the real world. For my part I couldn't think of anything else to do, she told me later that I was a lifeline. It's difficult when someone is going through so much, you can't ring, it's too intrusive, it's a nice way to show that you're there.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Alison, I can see texting is handy for some, it's just not a need I have right now. I blocked it because texts cost 25 cents each and I don't feel like renegotiating my cell package right now.

When I was in the ER, my family was on their phones and the nurses said, 'no big deal.'
Also when my dad was in pre-op.

However, cell phones are to be off in therapy.
B

Here's a language pet-peeve of which I'm guilty: adding -ish to everything.
Yellowish, sickish, lazyish.
Thank you, Clarice Bean. (by Lauren Child)
Last edited by Birdy on March 8th, 2010, 7:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Anne, I actually watched the Oscars this year so if you want to talk about them, start a thread in People or maybe TV (?) and I'll look for you later. I actually haven't been to many of the movies but would love to talk actors and dresses and thank you speeches.
Birdy
charliechaplinfan

Texts are free to receive here. Having to pay for texts you receive isn't good, some people just can't stop texting. Imagine what your bill could be if you had a serial texter as a friend.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I have a couple of small word usage pet peeves. The first is Calvary vs Cavalry. One is a location "Calvary or Golgotha (ˈgoɫ.gə.θɘ) are the English language/Western Christian names given to the site, outside of ancient Jerusalem’s early 1st century walls, ascribed to the crucifixion of Jesus."

The other is a unit "Cavalry (from French cavalerie, cf. cheval 'horse') were soldiers or warriors who fought mounted on horseback."

The second is Lose vs. Loose. Lose is a verb, *She will LOSE her mind if she has to watch The Three Stooges* :lol:

Loose is a verb also, but meaning "1 a : not rigidly fastened or securely attached b (1) : having worked partly free from attachments <a loose tooth> (2) : having relative freedom of movement" *The dog got LOOSE from his leash*

well, I said they were small..
SSO Admins
Administrator

Post by SSO Admins »

srowley75 wrote: Well, thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to embarrass me this way, especially as I'm feeling particularly low since (1) I'm an English grad who hasn't had a job interview in almost 6 months and (2) I lost some cash on the way to the store yesterday and now feel even more incompetent than I usually do. Really, I'm touched. I can feel the warmth..
I'm sorry I embarrassed you. That wasn't the intention. I thought it was funny (hence the smiley face at the end) because that really is a pet peeve of mine -- my co-workers love to ask me to "PDF a document" just because they know it sets my teeth on edge. I normally ignore people's grammar and spelling errors -- god knows I make enough of them.
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

Let me make it perfectly clear - I have nothing against texting, and nothing against cell phones for other people (just don't let me catch you using one while you're driving!) It is a personal thing with me to dislike cells, just like I don't own and never have owned (except 1 month) a pair of jeans. To me they are uncomfortable, binding, too thick and heavy to wear in warm weather, and cut off your circulation when you sit down. The one pair I ever had, I tossed within 3 weeks. I have heard that once they're worn out to your body style all these things disappear, but I don't care to wear them long enough for that to happen. Cell phones are a part of our lives now, but I have a computer to see and work on the internet, a TV to see movies, a DVR to copy movies, a camera to take pictures, and a radio to listen to music. I don't need it all in one package, because I usually do just one thing at a time anyway. Cells cause rudeness. If you choose to talk to someone on your cell while you're with me, then you prefer his company to mine obviously. Also, if we're talking, and I'm making a point and you interrupt me to say excuse me and proceed to answer the cell, that makes you rude.

[Please Note: This portion of this post has been removed to be reviewed by the administrators of this site for further action]
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Anne said: [Please Note: This quoted portion of Dewey1960's post has been removed for review by the administrators of this site as further action is contemplated]

My pet peeve: Idiotically racist people who simply can't resist resorting to myopic and meaningless stereotypes.
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

UPDATE:

Please Note: The matter that prompted this post and the locking of this thread has been addressed by the moderators and we have communicated with all the parties involved in this incident. Comments that belittle any person's value based on race, ethnicity, religion, education, physical or mental impairment will not be tolerated on this site.

Due to the use of the stereotypes posted in this thread today, the Pet Peeves thread is locked for the time being. Please review the portions of the Code of Conduct for this site that have been highlighted below and that apply to this situation. You may review the entire Code of Conduct (which all members agreed to abide by when they registered) here.

As soon as further action is taken, another notice will be posted here.

Applicable portions of the Code of Conduct:
Criticize:
One of the joys of a community is the exchange of ideas. Our goal is to share our enthusiasms, discover new aspects of film and media, and create an atmosphere that promotes diversity without sacrificing civility. It's fine to say a certain aspect of a film is bad, as long as you don't insult the people who think otherwise, and as long as you actually back up what you say. Jumping in and shouting "That film sucks!" is not an acceptable form of constructive criticism. I have highlighted the portions of this site's Code of Conduct below that apply to this matter:

Choose Words Carefully:
If you want to post about something that you are vehemently opposed to, do yourself a favor. Before replying, take a step back for a moment, take a breath, and ask yourself: "If I read what I've just written, how would I react?" It might be useful to remember that the spontaneous nuances of speech can get lost when seen in black and white print, and without meaning to, may hurt rather than enlighten others when perceived differently than intended. Continuous pursuit of an argument repeatedly is not conducive to civil exchanges. Name calling or negative stereotyping of others in a way that is likely to cause pain or further intolerance will not be tolerated.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks