A Liberal Comeback in the UK ?

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

Re: A Liberal Comeback in the UK ?

Post by charliechaplinfan »

The respect I refer to is the respect that you haven't been giving to Mrs Thatcher and Mr Blair our two longest serving Primeministers, calling Blair a war criminal is just the kind of incidendary language you like to use and sounds very much like slander to me, which ever way you chose to view it. If I posted on this board and used similar language about American Presidents I would expect someone to be offended by my comments and berate me yet you think it's fine to slander two of our leaders.

Dismissive and pessimistic because that is how I find your bullet points and rarely ever contribute to those threads for that very reason. My participation now is only because it is something very close to my heart and am enjoying discussing the finer points of it but not the insults.
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on May 12th, 2010, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

In Scotland now it's settled we can concentrate on my local team Dundee United's attempt to win the Scottish Cup against Ross County. Lorriane Kelly has turned down the oportunity to fly to America to interview the stars of Sex And The City, so she can go to watch her favorite team, also United. It'll be a body blow if giant Killers County win.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:The respect I refer to is the respect that you haven't been giving to Mrs Thatcher and Mr Blair our two longest serving Primeministers, calling Blair a war criminal is just the kind of incidendary language you like to use and sounds very much like slander to me, which ever way you chose to view it.
Its just my opinion. Length of service is just that ,length of service. In regard to Blair, where are the weapons ? Have poliicians, in the past ever used war for political gain ? Is it possible that Blair and/or Mrs. Thatcher were just wrong ? If they were just wrong about Falklands / Iraq, then a serious investigation should be made into the competance of the intelligience system. Is it ever possible for democratic countries to elect evil and/or unqualified people to high office ? Whatever plan the new government has, in regard to the economy, I hope it works. But IMHO making the debt the #! concern, if they have, is the WRONG policy. Again it is just my opinion, and political, business,and religious do not automatically deserve respect just because they hold that office . They deserve our hope that they will succeed, but not automatically our respect. They earn it by their performance in whatever office they hold.
charliechaplinfan

Good for Lorraine Kelly.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Labour candidates who come forward. There is talk of both Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper and Ed Milliband, seems that families might be divided.

I was pleased to see Theresa May getting Home Secretary, just after Radio 4's Women's hour was talking about how no senior positions were going to be held by women. My favorite MP is William Hague, maybe it's a Northern thing but the Foreign Office is in a very capable hands.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Alison,

I saw the new Prime Minister's speech, and I was very impressed by it. I wish we were trying harder in this country to get along, but there are hotheads on both sides. I do hope the coalition works out! It will be an inspiration and an example to others!

Brenda
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
charliechaplinfan

Thanks Brenda, what does your brother think of it?

This government have been left an terrible legacy by the last government, Labour inherited a healthy economy and stripped it bare. The first thing I'd do is start withdrawing from Afghanistan, that would save more than the lives of our soldiers. The war is not popular and I wonder if we provoke rather than prevent terrorism.
stuart.uk

Post by stuart.uk »

Alison

My concern about a withdrawl is the ordinary Afgan people. We liberated them, but' I'd fear we'd be leaving them exposed to oppression again if we left with safe guarding their welfare with a secure Afgan police and army presence. I'm thinking of the women, who could walk the streets dressed in whatever they like and are allowed to educate themselves, not something they were allowed to do under oppression. Then they're the men, who shaved of their beards after being liberated, but would be shot under the old oppression
charliechaplinfan

I can see your point, I just don't see why it should be our job anymore. What you highlight should be of concern to the modern world, our men are still being killed and there has to be a time when we will withdraw. Maybe the way forward is a collective responsibility although I fear since the US and Britain have taken on the bulk of dealing with Afghanistan other nations will stand back and expect us to deal with everything. I know the answer isn't an easy one but I do feel that many of the facts about both the Iraq war and the Afghan war have been covered by the last government because it was so unpopular with the country. Had we had a referendum we'd never have invaded Iraq.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

According to American investigative journalist Seymour Hersh U.S. troops are now conducting battlefield exacutions of captured prisoners in Afganistan. Raw Story & Huffington Post have videos of Mr. Hershs tale. :cry:
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Thanks Brenda, what does your brother think of it?

This government have been left an terrible legacy by the last government, Labour inherited a healthy economy and stripped it bare. The first thing I'd do is start withdrawing from Afghanistan, that would save more than the lives of our soldiers. The war is not popular and I wonder if we provoke rather than prevent terrorism.

Alison,

I didn't get the chance to discuss it much with Bruce last night. We have so much to talk about that we always get side tracked. :) I will the next time he calls. I know he didn't care for Mr. Brown that much, but he seemed to dislike Tony Blair more. I'm not sure what he means, but he says that Tony Blair sold the country away to the French and the Germans? I've not had the chance to discuss that with him. Do you know what he means? I do know that he is a Tory, which I believe is the more conservative party, so I assume he's happy about the outcome of the election. I will learn more about British politics now that I've a brother who is British.

For my part, I'm not going to be dismissive about the coalition which I see as a potentially healthy partnership.

Brenda
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Cutting spending, by the national government, during a recession will only worsen the recession. We have FDRs cutting spending in 1937 with unemployment still in double digets and umemployment rose as a result for an example. With business & local goverments cutting back, on spending, the national goverment must spend in order to keep the nations economy growing. The new Tory - Liberal coalition, in the uk, is now considering cut to child benefits, perhap as high as 15%, according to Americablog.
charliechaplinfan

As a mother of 2 children who receives child benefit designed by Mr Brown, I say it should be modified greatly. Anyone earning up to 60k per year can claim Brown's child tax credit, does someone earning that much need help? It also encourages others to stay at home and gives them no incentive to work. We have a reasonable wages between us, we're probably average yet one of the Mum's who is in receipt of the enhanced child tax credits goes out drinknig most weekends and has frequent trips to Portugal. We can't afford that. The effectiveness of where these payments go to needs to be addressed.

Brenda, your brother is a Tory which is the name for a Conservative supporter, some of the right wing press here isn't in favur of this coalition, thinking they've sold the party down the river. My opinion is they're in power, in a coalition which is what the country voted for is let them get on with it.

Blair versus Brown, Blair was slick, a better politician when facing the camera and facing criticism, I always felt he was there because of the power it gave him rather than because of a desire to do good, Brown I feel was there because he wanted to do good but he was convinced he was the answer and only his way would work. I couldn't chose between them.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

[quote="charliechaplinfan"]As a mother of 2 children who receives child benefit designed by Mr Brown, I say it should be modified greatly. Anyone earning up to 60k per year can claim Brown's child tax credit, does someone earning that much need help? It also encourages others to stay at home and gives them no incentive to work. We have a reasonable wages between us, we're probably average yet one of the Mum's who is in receipt of the enhanced child tax credits goes out drinknig most weekends and has frequent trips to Portugal. We can't afford that. The effectiveness of where these payments go to needs to be addresse

Maybe so, but I doubt many stay home, because of the tax credit. Anyway IMHO cuts in childrens benefits should be, next to elderly & disabled, the last cuts to be considered, not the first, for the new government.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

If the mother drinks to much maybe she should be investigated by the office of children & family service, or its equivalent in the uk, her behavior cannot helpful to the well being of her children.

If good behavior is to be a factor, in receiving aid, subsidies, will any member of the Royal Family be subjected to any cuts. Prince Charles conduct has been less than good, to Diana, and likely his sons.
charliechaplinfan

Ken, I'm glad you live in America and not here.