A Liberal Comeback in the UK ?

Chit-chat, current events
ken123

Re: A Liberal Comeback in the UK ?

Post by ken123 »

Its just possible that governments make ill advised decisions. Remember Iraq & Afganistan ! That all I"m saying.
ken123

Post by ken123 »

There is an article at HuffingtonPost today by Johann Hari, of the London Independent, " This is Not What the British People Voted For " that may be of interest, and he lives in the uk.
silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

Ken,

Everyone makes "ill-advised" decisions, and no one is perfect, but in America at least, most people were prepared to give President Obama the benefit of the doubt. You seem to now be as much of an expert on British politics as you are American. You aren't the most tolerant person that I've ever run into if someone else's opinion differs from your own. And that's all I'm saying....

Brenda
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Consider this a request in my duty as an Administrator.

This may be a bit late coming in but I would like us to take a step back on this thread. Political discussions are often uncomfortable territory on this kind of a board. It is getting a bit too near the edge if indeed it hasn't already been crossed. I wonder it we would be better served to move on to something else?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ken123

Post by ken123 »

movieman1957 wrote:Consider this a request in my duty as an Administrator.

This may be a bit late coming in but I would like us to take a step back on this thread. Political discussions are often uncomfortable territory on this kind of a board. It is getting a bit too near the edge if indeed it hasn't already been crossed. I wonder it we would be better served to move on to something else?

Movieman57,
Fine by me. But if I may. I would like to make one final point. Having a contrary opinion is not " intolerance ". Censorship is intolerance. All democratic governments & people should welcome debate - pro & con concerning the issues of the day, after all thats what democracy is all about.
klondike

Post by klondike »

A few gentle reminders:
These Boards are not a public forum; they are divisions of a website owned by Jon, our extremely tolerant & open-minded host & chief administrator. To date, all that Jon has asked of us in order to come play at this little amusement park is compliance & candor in registering, and then to follow the guidance & direction of the moderators.
Easy peezy.
On the subject of censorship, I once again firmly request everyone's acknowledgement that bringing it up as an operative situation here at SSO is really somewhere between silly, nonapplicable & ignorant.
The definition of censorship refers only to the suppression or disallowance of the publication, distribution, broadcast or announcement of opinions or information in public forums & venues.
Claiming that restriction of statements made on this website censors its members is equivalent to demanding the right to launch a political rant in your neighbor's kitchen.
We're guests here, not activists, citizens, or party affiliates.
Fertilizing growth is one thing - throwing around manure is quite another; time to put away the shovels, and get back to sharing the garden bench and smelling the roses. :mrgreen: