Do You Have Trouble getting others to watch classics?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: Do You Have Trouble getting others to watch classics?

Post by JackFavell »

My daughter is eleven, Gary. I tried to get her watching at an early age, but it was an uphill battle mostly, except for Charlie Chaplin, L&H, and the Marx Bros.

They have so much now to occupy them, that they never get bored anymore, so there is less of a window of opportunity to indoctrinate them. Your vids are a great way to get her into more films!

"Smuhboke ibis cobumming uh-bout uh-bove muh-by muhbouth!"

[youtube][/youtube]
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Ice Cream! We're gonna get ice cream!

The man who created modern stand-up.
norfious

Post by norfious »

Thankfully, my family enjoys old movies almost as much as I do. Though I am crazier about them than anyone I know (in person).

I try to host classic movie showings in my community, but nobody ever shows up. More than once I've watched a few favorites on the big screen all by my lonesome. To be fair, I don't really like modern movies, so I am sure people are just as fed up with my movie pickiness as I am with theirs.
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

A few of us here don't like modern movies, in my case it's not that I don't want to but whenever I decide to watch one I usually end up more than a little dissappointed, the ones I really appreciate are few and far between. I wish I could like more of them though, my knowledge of modern movie stars is appalling, I'm so not in touch with my generation.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

The last 2 or 3 years seem to me to be appallingly bad as far as movies go... I used to see at least a handful of movies that were worth seeing, mostly independents or foreign films. I can't remember the last really interesting film I saw. Maybe it's just that the good ones aren't coming to my little town.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

How about The Most Exotic Marigold Hotel? THAT one was terrific! I think it's already being released to DVD...a definite purchase for me!!!

But yes, I hear audible groans when I ask to turn the channel to TCM....can't even imagine slipping in my copy of, say, Palm Beach Story or The Lady Eve....and Sunrise???? HA!!!! I would be asked to leave!!!! :roll: :roll: :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Actually, that one was great and so was To Rome With Love. but let me tell you, there was nothing before that for a long time. Talk about a drought.... :D
norfious

Post by norfious »

Ok, so I lied a bit. I do like "The Avengers" movie "Midnight in Paris", and a few other newer ones. In general, though, I dislike modern cinema due to the fact that plot and characters are no longer the driving force in a film. Special effects and "pushing the envelope" as to what is appropriate to place on screen seems to be more important nowadays. (Am I the only one who misses the Hayes code?)

Like charliechaplinfan, I am completely out of touch with my generation in more ways than one. :lol:
_Broadway_ from the TCM forums.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

norfious wrote: Like charliechaplinfan, I am completely out of touch with my generation in more ways than one. :lol:
Same Here,

When I talk about old movies to my generation ... my family and friends do not know what I'm talking about and that makes me feel very much alone norfious!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm the same way. And I'm not a young guy. But my cultural interests are more in line with MY parents' generation!
LadyEveSidwich

Post by LadyEveSidwich »

Yes and no. My mother likes some classic films, but my father won't watch classic films or anything in black and white. My friends, most of whom are in their 20s, seem to like classic films as much as I do.
rerun

Post by rerun »

Before his car accident my husband would leave the house before watching one of the classic movies with me. After he came out of the hospital with a bi-lateral-basal-skull fracture he loves them.
Good grief. I said if I had known that I would have punched him myself. Hahahahaha! Now he watches them and them only!
[color=#0000BF][i]Avatar: John Cantarini (Martha's husband) on future world record holder Crazy Kid. He won six in a row
on him.[/i][/color]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hmmmm. Where's my baseball bat? :D
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

You guys are all in the same spot as me. I have about a dozen friends who will not watch or allow me to show classics. I am planning a surprise for my group who generally just go to diners for the early bird special and then come back to our house for coffee and chat about all of our medical problems. We are all over 70. My surprise is I plan to force them to watch the 1/2 hour movie "Every Sunday" starring Judy Garland and Deanna Durbin who co-starred in their first movie at age 14. It is short enough to keep their attention and hopefully please them.. my wife is also in that group who disapprove of classics.
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Good luck with that, Uncle Stevie...let us know how it goes. Maybe we are all too nice about it.