Happy New Year

Chit-chat, current events
Uncle Stevie

Happy New Year

Post by Uncle Stevie »

To all my unseen friends on this wonderful movie communication board. I love you all and wish you all a bright, healthy, and fortunate future. As Al Jolson said, "you ain't seen nothin yet". Or was it Al Capone? Nothing but good things for all of you.

How do you spend your New Years Eve? For me it is a 30 year routine. We go with friends to a Chinese Restaurant, then to a movie, and then come back to our house for Champagne, coffee, and cake and watch the New Ball fall. Except this year no movie. What do you do?
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
Lzcutter
Administrator

Re: Happy New Year

Post by Lzcutter »

Happy New Year to everyone here at the Oasis and to your loved ones as well.

May you all enjoy the festivities that greet the New Year and may 2011 be a better year for us all.

MrC and I will go to dinner at friend's house (the one holiday, it seems, I don't have to cook!), share a lovely meal and some tasty wine, get caught up on our lives and be home to celebrate the New Year with a tender kiss and a glass of bubbly.

Doesn't get any better than that.

To all the Oasisians going to the TCM Film Festival in April, I look forward to seeing you there!

In-N-Out Burger, here we come!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

A happy, safe and prosperous new year.

We are having a friend over (maybe more) but for Carolann it will be an early night as she has to work at 5:30 in the morning. Depending then on when our guests leave I will likely be visiting with Harpo on TCM.

God bless us, everyone.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by knitwit45 on December 31st, 2010, 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
klondike

Post by klondike »

Hogmanay!, at our local Scottish pub, MacLaomainn's; as the proprietrix's father is also the Worshipful Master at my Lodge, it's always a cordial place to be!
Tonight I'll be the toastmaster, so I'll spend the day flaking the mental rust off my rotes of Rabbie Burns - you know, the lad that wrote the song everyone will be singing at midnight ?! :wink:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Happy new year to all the lovely people who post here.

Ours will be a quieter night seeing as we have small children, we'll be spendig it at home, we will be celebrating and hoping for good news in the new year.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

And a Happy New Year to all!

Mrs. ChiO & I have been preparing for our 23rd Annual Black-Tie New Year's Eve Dinner Party since 6:30am (CST). Menu this year: scallop bisque; spicy crab on celery root; levrakia marinata (sea bass with vinegar & rosemary); rack of lamb; green beans with tomatoes; cheese plate with apples, pears & fig preserves; assorted pastries (including bakalava, of course); and, vasilopita (sweet New Year's bread named after St. Basil). With plenty of martinis, single malt scotch, vodka (there's always one guy), champagne, red & white wines as befitting each course, port and cognac to wash it all down. Other than some last minute assembling, cooking, and plating, all that remains to be prepared is the bisque (can you hear Mrs. ChiO in the background blending?).

The four other couples are scheduled to arrive at 8pm (CST). And our 23 year old daughter (Coincidence that this is the 23rd NYE party? I think not.) will be holding down the fort with two friends in the basement watching movies.

Then off to Church at 8:30am (CST) tomorrow, all red-eyed and bushy-tailed, while the daughter drives to -- grrrr -- Green Bay to sit in -- grrrr -- Lambeau Field on Sunday to cheer our -- YEAAAAA! -- Chicago Bears.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
klondike

Post by klondike »

ChiO wrote: Then off to Church at 8:30am (CST) tomorrow, all red-eyed and bushy-tailed, while the daughter drives to -- grrrr -- Green Bay to sit in -- grrrr -- Lambeau Field on Sunday to cheer our -- YEAAAAA! -- Chicago Bears.

Are you SURE she'll be cheering for those navy-blue Yogi's?
100%?
Because I hate to think about your lovely girl driving all the way back home, through all those bitter tears . . . :cry:
Then again, Lambeau Field, America's Greatest Shrine to Football, is so near Heaven, even cheering for an Arch Rival like Da Bears as they're getting shellacked must be nearly a divine experience. :idea:
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

ChiO:

Some menu. I'm having sandwiches and M&Ms.
Chris

knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

ChiO, I must have misplaced my invitation....or it got lost in the mail...or you forgot to send it....Ah, well, Chris, pass the M&M's.....sigh.....
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Happy New Year, to all my friends at the SSO!

[youtube][/youtube]
feaito

Post by feaito »

Happy New Year to all my friends here at SSO. It's my first New Year Celebration outside of my country. Currently I'm in Atlanta and we are going to have dinner at 9:00 AM at the Ritz Carlton with my wife, my brother and sister in law and my nephew and niece. Afterwards we expect to party & dance a lot!! HAPPY 2011!!
klondike

Post by klondike »

WHOAHHH!
I'm back home with barely a wrinkle in my kilt, having consumed only a quart of Jameson's, a pint of Guiness, & 3 shots of Drambuie, and not one joyful punch thrown!
What's happened to me???
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Sounds like you weren't even trying. I had my limit of two Pepsis.
Chris

Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

A very Happy New Year to everybody at SSO! May it be a great year for new film discoveries. :D