Happy New Year

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Re: Happy New Year

Post by feaito »

Ann Harding wrote:A very Happy New Year to everybody at SSO! May it be a great year for new film discoveries. :D
Ditto!!! "The Magic Flame" perhaps? Let's hope......
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

Dinner For One was hysterical. It appears to have a long hsitory.

http://www.slate.com/id/2133551/
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thanks for the link, Unc. Dinner for One IS funny. The tiger rug is a classic, the actor was very athletic, wasn't he?
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

WHOAHHH!
I'm back home with barely a wrinkle in my kilt, having consumed only a quart of Jameson's, a pint of Guiness, & 3 shots of Drambuie, and not one joyful punch thrown!
What's happened to me???
I think you forgot to take Vic McLaglen with you!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

silentscreen

Post by silentscreen »

HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL! Just started mine off right by paying the balance on my cruise in March.
"Humor is nothing less than a sense of the fitness of things." Carole Lombard
ken123

Post by ken123 »

Happy New Year to all.
mongoII

Post by mongoII »

A HAPPY & HEALTHY 2011 TO ONE AND ALL!
Joseph Goodheart
klondike

Post by klondike »

Lzcutter wrote: I think you forgot to take Vic McLaglen with you!
AHHHHH, that's the ticket, Lass! I got me head on straight, now, though, I do!
And tonight I'll have me a plate o' skirlie and a dram o' Dublin's finest spirit, which I'll raise to all my friends at SSO!
HAPPY NEW YEAR !!
intothenitrate

Post by intothenitrate »

Happy New Year everyone!
My three sons and daughter-in-law make New Year's a sort of alternative riff on Christmas, with gifts, special food and playing music together. It works out well with the ex-wives--who are both die-hard Christmas celebrants--and gives the kids a second dose of presents and fun. A common theme is to give tools and other such things that will help the person do their work in the coming year. The format is open to invention and pretty satisfying.
"Immorality may be fun, but it isn't fun enough to take the place of one hundred percent virtue and three square meals a day."
Goodnight Basington
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Klondike, clearly under the influence of a bad batch of peat infused whisky, wrote:

Then again, Lambeau Field, America's Greatest Shrine to Football, is so near Heaven, even cheering for an Arch Rival like Da Bears as they're getting shellacked must be nearly a divine experience.
Shellacked? Not quite (those cheese- and brat-heads can't even spell it).

Did the scene on the field after time had run out give you hope for World Peace, or did it signal the end of all that is True and Right? I mean, of course, the Bears and the Packers hugging each other. Would Bill George hug Bart Starr? Would Forrest Gregg hug Johnny Morris? Would Halas hug Lombardi? What is it with these guys?
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
klondike

Post by klondike »

ChiO wrote: (after alarmingly choking on his authentic Deep Dish pizza),
Shellacked? Not quite.
Oh my, you're right, how naughty of us to leave a job not quite finished!
But be patient, Friend; your city's broad shoulders may be slumped in shame tonight, but our Mr. Rodgers will return to your Neighborhood, before the month is out, to brush-on that second coat, unless you get excommunicated by the Saints first.
In the meantime, we have a dog-torturing thug from Brotherly Love Town in need of neutering. 8)
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

I'm a bit late, but I am still hoping that everyone has a bit of joy in this fresh new year.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Found this lovely compilation and hoped you would enjoy it:

[youtube][/youtube]

In order, the clips are from Ocean's 11, One Way Passage, The Gold Rush, Waterloo Bridge, An Affair to Remember, Wee Willy Winkie, Scandal, The Apartment, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town, Bachelor Mother and It's a Wonderful Life.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Lovely!
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

I'm a little late in answering this post, but my New Years Eve has always been an after the fact day anyway. I haven't been out on a New Years Eve night since my early 20's, even when I lived in Las Vegas. I put on a lovely pot roast for dinner in the slow cooker, so I can eat whenever I'm ready, with no wash-up later. I used paper plates and plastic 'silverware'. I gathered the shawl I'm working on right now and laid out my favorite holiday and semi-holiday movies, like Holiday Inn, Stars in my Crown, and It's a Wonderful Life to play all evening until the Wagon Train bonanza starts. Since everybody I know, knows how I celebrate, around midnight I get loads of calls which go to the recorder, and I return them the next day. A few years people have come over to spend the evening with me, and I love to play Trivial Pursuit for a while, and they are welcome to drop off a blanket and sleep on the living room floor rather than driving, which makes for large breakfasts. The point is, I never plan so last minute stuff always makes it better.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************