How to use natural products as beauty remedies and to soothe

Chit-chat, current events
charliechaplinfan

How to use natural products as beauty remedies and to soothe

Post by charliechaplinfan »

After I'd had my daughter I was at my wits end as to how to soothe my split and raw hands, made so by the constant washing and activity that comes with a small child. After trying many different hand creams I made my own discovery, a trip to the local health shop resulted in the purchase of some lavender oil and some avocado oil and voila, a new hobby was born. I soothed my hands virtually straight away, within days they regained life and vitality and were back to their usual self. Since then I've used essential oils both for cosmetic use and to soothe minor ailments. My education began with a book called The Fragrant Pharmacy by Valerie Ann Worwood.

Most of my uses of both the essential oils (aromatherapy oils) and the carrier oils, sweet almond oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil are very simple and require absolutely no skill whatsoever. The price of essential oils has dropped due to sites like ebay and most of the useful ones aren't very expensive. I'm not going to quote recipes from The Fragrant Pharmacy, I would recommend anyone with an interest to buy this book, it gives another dimension to health and cosmetic care. I will use examples of what have helped me over the years.

My skin can tolerate anything and never reacts, so if you have irritable skin send me a PM and I'll look into it for you and see what my books would recommend.

My first tip and always a useful one is for help with waking up and aiding concentration.

NEVER APPLY ANY ESSENTIAL OIL DIRECTLY TO THE SKIN.

A drop of grapefruit essential oil on your sponge as you shower or for me me even more effective dropped onto a tissue a carried in the pocket really boosts the brain into waking up and getting into gear. Other oils with a similar effect is rosemary (a good oil to have in because it is excellent for hair care) or bergamot. These can be used in a burner, my only draw back with a burner is that the cats aren't keen but if your animals don't have sensitive noses it shouldn't be a problem. Sometimes I massage these oils into the soles of my feet or apply to the pulse points, I dilute these in sweet almond oil first, for 1 drop of oil, 1ml of carrier oil, it doesn't have to be sweet almond.

PLease ask questions if you are unsure of anything.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
mrsl

Re: How to use natural products as beauty remedies and to soothe

Post by mrsl »

By now I would assume everyone knows to keep an aloe cactus plant around for quick cures for kitchen cuts and burns. Just snip off the tip and use the jelly inside and within seconds, pain is gone.

Since I quit smoking, I still keep an unopened pack of cigarettes around for bee and wasp bites. If you get a bit and can't get at the stinger, wad up some tobacco, put it on the bite, and drip a few drops of water on and within a few seconds, 1. the pain is reduced, and 2. the stinger is somehow pulled up to the surface where you can usually get it with a pair of tweezers. This sounds a little gross but if you have a white head that builds up but hasn't broken through, lay a small piece of bread on it, drop a drop or two of milk or half and half on it, cover it for about an hour. It will reduce the pain and when you remove the bread, the gunk us usually coagulated into a solid mass which has broken the skin and you can just roll away, or stick a pin into it to lift it off. If it hasn't hardened, you have to wait longer. These were all my late husband's grandmother's remedies and I have used all of them for my kids and my grandkids.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
charliechaplinfan

Today's tip for a luxury face oil is to prick a capsule of vitamin E and massage it into your skin after toning. I usually do this after a bath or shower. A drop of a favorite fragrance aromatherapy oil can be added to the oil. If anyone wants me to type up a list of oils suitable for different skin types, guide to prices and smells, I will do.
Vitamin E can be bought quite easily in capsule form or as an oil from shops on ebay. All aromatherapy oils are available from ebay, I've found it easy to get good oils for low prices. 10ml of the most common oils has cost me £1.50 a time. Using aromatherapy/essential oils is a personal taste, at the very least they will smell great, fragrance your house and person and have special qualities to them, some are anti viral, anti fungal, antiseptic, antispasmodic etc. A lot are uplifting, some can aid sleep and relaxation. You don't need to have a large collection, two or three nice oils are enough to uplift a facecream, it's easy to add a drop before massaging into your face, or sniffing from a handerkerchief, or adding to a burner or on a sponge. It is a personal taste, I prefer the citrus oils and the woody oils. The floral oils are a real feminine indulgence.

What I plan to do as I add cheap and easy tips is to leave some information about some of the most useful oils, their attributes and how they can be used.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

lovely! :D
charliechaplinfan

Anne, that's just the kid of tip that we need these days. Whenever I go into my chemist I'm mesmerized by all the packaging and deals on these pretty boxes which contain lotions for everything, you can firm or moisturise any part of your body these days but it doesn't come cheap. I do use some products but I simply can't afford to spend much and to be honest, when I've been lucky enough to have testers of expensive products I've not noticed any difference.

Something that's great for whitening the teeth, more effective than toothpaste is 3 parts baking soda, one part salt apply to your toothpaste and brush the caffeine, nicotine or food stains away. If you have high blood pressure take your doctor's advice, you don't actually swallow any of the salt but it does taste a bit yuck, it also lets you know if your gums are oversensitive as it stings in those areas. I always finish off with regular toothpaste for the taste, I can really notice the difference.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I finally found your thread, Alison! I've been busy with housecleaning today and making more bread, since we ate the other two loaves I made already, but I wanted to check in here and see what was up!

I have very sensitive skin and my nose itches or I break out if I use most fancy hair care products with strong scents. Essential oils seem to not bother me much. I think I am allergic to something in the hair care products related to scent but not the actual oils.

Anyway, I haven't read all of the posts here yet, but wanted to wish you luck here...I'll be back when I have more time to really sit down and read - it looks fascinating.

Slightly off topic - I have found lately that cheap generic cold cream - the kind that the movie stars did advertisements for back in the day? - is my best friend. I have very dry skin, and for years couldn't find a moisturizer that didn't make me break out. I use a hydroxy cream, but even that hasn't been totally working in the winter anymore. I decided after looking at a bunch of old ads with all the most beautiful stars that what was good enough for them was good enough for me. And it worked!
charliechaplinfan

Is it Pond's Cold Cream? I've always wanted to try it but can never get hold of it. I'm becoming more and more of the opinion that a lot of skin care products feed into our insecurities and some of the 40 something celebs have looks that are impossible for the average woman or man to attain.

The best essential oils for sensitive skin are chamomile roman or german, lavender and rose. Roman chamomile has a lovely smell, you can get it in a 5% dilution but it's really worth buying the pure essential oiil. It's excellent for relaxation too. Roman chamomile and lavender are suitable for babies. Rose oil is expensive as an absolute (a pure oil) but it is lovely, it can be bought as a 5% dilution and that's how i started with rose oil oly recently buying the absolute to help with symptoms of ME.

I'll type up more of the uses later.

I can tell you've bee busy Wendy, you've not watched the youtube videos on the Boyer thread. You need to sit dowm a treat yourself :wink:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I'm going to look at those videos this morning! I promised myself a treat if I got my work done yesterday.

Thanks for the tips on which essential oils to use. I love lavender, it's my favorite scent. So do you mix it with the almond oil to put it on your face? or perhaps I can put it in my cold cream? I use the generic version of Ponds (even cheaper), it has less of a scent, and there is a dry skin formula that works the best for me.
charliechaplinfan

You can apply sweet almond oil make sure it's sweet almond oil with a drop of lavender, pull your hair back with a headband because it's likely to get oily from the oil. I tend to use a drop of oil in vitamin e the night before I'm going to wash my hair so it doesn't matter if my hair gets oily. I don't apply the sweet almond oil or vitamin e oil everyday to my face although I do add a drop of rose oil to my moisturiser in the morning.

I had a look at carrier oils for sensitive skins, here's what it said

SWEET ALMOND OIL - good for all skin types, rich in protein and contains minerals and vitamins. helps relieves itching, soreness, dryness and inflammation.

APRICOT KERNEL OIL - all skins, especially prematurely aged skins, sensitive, inflammed or dry. Contains minerals and vitamins

Particularly good for hands and dry skin

AVOCADO PEAR OIIL -all skins, especially dry and dehydrated, eczema. Contains vitamins, proteins, lecthin, fatty acids.

Remember our skin absorbs the goodness from these carrier oils. I like to sit watching a movie massaging some essential oil and carrier oil into my tired feet, it's a real treat.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thank you for the tips, ALison. There's a big health food store down the street here and I can find everything I want there, though it is pricey.
charliechaplinfan

Do check the prices against ebay. Our health food shop is about 30 to 40% dearer. Companies selling these products on ebay often deliver for free.
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Allison - what would best for dry cracked heels on your feet? What oils or creams that I should use for that purpose and that purpose alone. Something not too expensive.
charliechaplinfan

Lavender Oil

I've copied this from an article I have on lavender oil.

Lavender is capable of many important jobs and is a delight to use. Every home should have a bottle of lavender, if no other oil, because it is so very effective in the treatment of burns and scalds. Lavender oil is a natural antibiotic, antiseptic, anti-depressent, sedative and de-toxifier which promotes healing and prevents scarring and also stimulates the immune system and contributes to the healing process by stimulating the cells to wound a regenerate more quickly. Although not known specifically as a circulatory stimulant, it certainly seems to allay the effects of clinical shock and as a mood toic and antidepressant it helps to deal with the psychological shock of injury. It also has a multitude of other qualities which make it a truly indispensable oil.

I can vouch for it's effectiveness for treating scalds and burns. Being one of live's clumsy people I'm always burning myself on pans and hot objects. Lavender soothes, makes the swelling come up sooner and heal an awful lot quicker. One year I managed to pour quite a bit of boiling water over my trainers that soaked through immediately, it hurt like mad. I smoothered the oil over it, got the appropriate dressings and it was soon right as rain.

If the kids are ever sick or have any germs I always disinfect with lavender after cleaning thoroughly. I keep the supply of lavender oil nearby and keep applying it liberally to my hands as I see to them. It works better than anything for avoiding hand to hand germs.

Sweet Orange oil is a good antiviral and lovely to burn in a mix with lavender, it's very cheap too.
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on March 30th, 2011, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

kingme wrote:Allison - what would best for dry cracked heels on your feet? What oils or creams that I should use for that purpose and that purpose alone. Something not too expensive.
I'd use some sweet almond oil and lavender oil, if your feet are sore and you can afford a little more get some geranium oil. You should be paying no more that $3 for 10ml of lavender oil, it will last you ages, you need no more than 2 drops (approx 20 drops per ml) and a teaspoons worth (5ml) per foot. Geranium oil will set you back about $7 it's good if the cracks are sore, it's quite a feminine smell, quite strong and uplifting. Lavender is relaxing, it's good to rub it in at night before bed. I always put some on my pulse points and sometimes some on my chest then you can lie in bed and breathe in the fresh aroma. I usually sit here, just massaging the oil all over my feet with my thumbs and fingers. The oils soak in really well, do it twice a day, the lavender oil is a slight sedative, peppermint (see below) is a stimulant so if you get both, peppermint early, lavender later.

If you are on a budget or unable to get sweet almond oil you can use olive oil, it has a bit of an aroma but if you were going to buy jjust one ingredient I'd go for the lavender, if you see the above post it will tell you some other uses too.

Another oil that is good for tired feet is peppermint, it's cooling a refreshing, good at keeping odours at bay, not that anyone here would have smelly feet.

Peppermint is also very good for anyone with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, a drop or two of oil in some sweet almond oil and lie down and massage into your stomach and then breathe really deeply pushing out your stomach with your breathe. Often with IBS it is the muscles that are tense and complaining and the breathing very deeply and massaging you are rubbing the tension out of them and easing the problem.
Last edited by charliechaplinfan on March 30th, 2011, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charliechaplinfan

Before I sign off for the night, I will say that I use aromatherapy oils as a complimentary treatment along with conventional medicine. With some remedies they're very very good, like the burns. They can ease many symptoms of many ailments especially when dealing with the anxiety and depression parts of illness. They are excellent at lifting spirits, they are good at warding off illness, they are some of the best and most simple things to be used in skin care and they have centuries of use to back them up.

Yet,

when I read that all I'd need for labour was a bottle of lavender mixed with roman chamomile to dull the pain of labour and if I had that I wouldn't need any other pain relief that was going too far for me. A bottle of lavender or some gas and air, it was never a contest :lol: