Memorial Day Thanks

Chit-chat, current events
Mr. Arkadin

Memorial Day Thanks

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

I would like to say thanks to all our soldiers in the US Military--veterans and those currently serving. Thank you for all you have done for this country and God bless you.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

amen. This forum is a great example of the freedom we enjoy to discuss, debate and disagree.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
bobhopefan1940

Re: Memorial Day Thanks

Post by bobhopefan1940 »

Mr. Arkadin wrote:I would like to say thanks to all our soldiers in the US Military--veterans and those currently serving. Thank you for all you have done for this country and God bless you.
Thanks for the thread, Mr. Arkadin. Thanks to all those who make it possible for me to speak freely, and live the way I see best for me and my family.
"How strange when an illusion dies. It's as though you've lost a child." --Judy Garland
"To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune." --Charlie Chaplin
"Dumb show is best for screen people, if they must appear in public." --Buster Keaton
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

My father was assigned to a tank battalion with Patton's Third Army and helped liberate a concentration camp. My uncle, whose name is on the memorial at Pearl Harbor, was proud of being a member of the Arizona crew, and had enlisted in 1940. I have a letter from him postmarked from the Arizona claiming the virtues of his station and post and inviting my father to join him (this before he was drafted).
Their brother was a Marine who was later stationed in the Phillipines.

I still preserve my uncle's letters, and souvenirs from the Arizona, and have much of my father's correspondence and photos from his experiences with his tank battalion.

Without all the sacrifices of these men, what would have happened to our nation? What will happen to our homeland now with all the sacrifices our young men and women are making?

I remember them and many others on this Memorial Day who helped make this a great nation and a once safe harbor where I enjoyed the peace and civility to mature and pursue happiness in the face of threats
to our national security. There are still nations where this thread and this website would be outlawed. There are still nations where we would not be allowed to discuss or to be nostalgic about our past. I am very grateful to be an American.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor