The Advice Column

Chit-chat, current events
MissGoddess

Re: The Advice Column

Post by MissGoddess »

ChiO wrote: Olive oil.... God's gift to us all. Have you read Extra Virginity, a tell-all book about the culinary crimes committed in the making and labeling of olive oils? If it's to be believed, be prepared to take out a second mortgage to pay for real olive oil. The author's rule of thumb: Buy no olive oil that the seller doesn't allow you to taste first. This Greek and faux-Greek household is in trouble since we go through 2 liters about every 2-3 weeks.

Ay yi yi! Another food travesty exposed? I'd heard that only "first cold pressed extra virgin olive oil" was to be used, but I'm not sure how my local market staffers will react if I ask them to open a bottle and let me taste. In New York there's bound to be a "law" against it these days!

I go through olive oil like water myself, but I haven't been as particular about what kind since I can't afford anything too pricey...and have nothing to mortgage!

I'm getting to be a daily visitor to my local health-food & grocery markets...whereas I used to be a daily visitor at Saks and Bergdorf's (though, alas, not to buy only to look). How life changes...
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

kingrat wrote: Speaking of diets: a dear friend tried a vegetarian diet for two years and wound up with chronic fatigue syndrome. If your body doesn't store essential fatty acids well, you need animal proteins. Some can handle a vegetarian diet, some cannot. Ironically, she has come back to normal on a diet of 6-8 oz. of red meat and poultry (dark meat only, skin on) and fatty fish 3-4 times a day, with only a few vegetables like asparagus, broccoli, and cauliflower.
kingrat,
Isn't that the irony? I know a similar case, a beautiful girl who went vegan---for health reasons only, she was already in perfect shape, even too skinny---and she started developing all imaginable kinds of health problems. Back problems, skin problems, female problems...after batteries of tests and finally flying to Chicago to see a well known doctor and nutritionist the result: she was suffering from malnutrition! She was told to immediately get some red meat and animal proteins back on her diet. How she complained and I doubt she followed his advice much.

We have become very fond of quinoa, a grain that is high in complete proteins. You can use it like rice as a side dish or in soups or salads.
How is it used in salads? I've only bought Quinoa bread once, I liked the taste. I have never had it in any other form. I'm curious because I love white rice yet it's supposedly not as healthy (the Asian peoples seem to do well with it, though!) I just cannot get used to brown rice though I've tried many, many times and different recipes. The consistency bothers me. However I discovered I like pasta made with brown rice instead of wheat flour.
-- Will Rogers
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

JackFavell wrote:April-
I used to have a similar reaction when I was kid, I couldn't eat pineapple either, but it went away. I hope the same for you.
i hope it goes away, too...i can't imagine food without lemon/lime and vinegars.
-- Will Rogers
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

My mother and The Bride make a Baked Pineapple that is terrific. It makes a lovely side dish or a snack for me.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Yummy baked pineapple! You can do fruit on the grill too, on skewers and it's like eating pie without the crust. I like peaches the best so far. YUM.

I've gone looking for quinoa here but can't find it. The flyer for our grocery even had it listed in a recipe, yet when I asked for it, the guy looked at me like I had three heads. :D

I don't like the texture of brown rice, but whole grain pasta isn't bad.

A place has opened up here in my small village that sells olive oils and vinegars. The couple came from NYC after years of corporate life and started an olive farm, then press their own oil. The bad news is, it goes for $18 per bottle which looks to be about a pint? I tried some, but won't be going back. It's just not worth it to me. Their Riesling vinegar on the other hand is divine. Now I've had it, I may not be able to live without it.

Greek olive oil is sold in our groceries here, and is a good bargain with great taste. I started using it and my family loves the taste. It's far richer and more olivey tasting (in a good way) than any other I've tried.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

Your grocer's reaction made me laugh, Wendy! I know they'd do the same at D'Agostino's. Quin-what???? I confess I never even heard of it until a year ago.

I think we should just all move to a Greek island and shop the local markets. Anyone agree? ChiO, start calling relatives. :D

And of course, open a local bijou that shows classic movies. :wink:

Riesling vinegar, I'm going to ask my Mom if she's ever tried that. Maybe she can find it locally. I love wine vinegars, yum!

Sue-Sue, I'm going to try your baked veggie dish...it sounds great. I do almost the same recipe except stove top.

All the grill recipes sound so lovely, but I have no grill. :(

I have never stared into the heart of an artichoke. :D :D Okay classic movie experts, in what movie does a character ask that Immortal question: Have you ever stared into the heart of an artichoke?
-- Will Rogers
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0000FF]MissGoddess[/color][/u] wrote:I have never stared into the heart of an artichoke. :D :D Okay classic movie experts, in what movie does a character ask that Immortal question: Have you ever stared into the heart of an artichoke?
It's a shame we all will never get together for dinner. All this talk of food sounds quite interesting. Now I'm no foodie, but I do know movies. And the movie is "ALL ABOUT EVE."
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

CineMaven wrote:
[u][color=#0000FF]MissGoddess[/color][/u] wrote:I have never stared into the heart of an artichoke. :D :D Okay classic movie experts, in what movie does a character ask that Immortal question: Have you ever stared into the heart of an artichoke?
It's a shame we all will never get together for dinner. All this talk of food sounds quite interesting. Now I'm no foodie, but I do know movies. And the movie is "ALL ABOUT EVE."

That is why you are the Maven!!
-- Will Rogers
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Good news on the olive oil front! The author of Extra Virginity has recently posted on his website that Costco's house brand, Kirkland, is "acceptable." Woooo.... That's our everyday oil, so we can stay snobby and cheap. What a relief.

The website: http://www.truthinoliveoil.com/

One can really tell a difference in oils. Our goddaughter's father gets a few gallons a year that his mother makes from their trees in Greece, and he gives us some. Even a blind taste test shows a world of difference. Unfortunately, Mrs. ChiO's family's trees in the village are in a semi-abandoned (by them) state, and some may have been destroyed by the fires a few years ago. Serves them right for not providing me with a dowry.

Does anyone like the texture of brown rice? Kind of like moist puffed wheat to me. That and rice cakes (ummm...styrofoam) are the only forms of rice I don't like, and it's all about the texture. They are on a very short list of foods I consciously avoid: bananas (that smell!), fruits with fuzzy outsides (except kiwi -- but keep those peaches, nectarines, apricots & persimmons away from me), coconut (except the milk in a Thai curry, but get that pina colada outta here), and oatmeal (unless combined with a ton of butter, brown sugar, raisins and walnuts to be transformed into a cookie -- but every morning my parents made me eat the cereal form before school, so I haven't touched it since -- I'm such the rebel).

Dinner and a movie? I vote for THE EXTERMINATING ANGEL. First one who leaves is a rotten egg.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I love fuzzy fruit. My sister can't even be near them.

I once put some rice cakes (because no one here was eating them) out for the birds or actually for the squirrels who invade our feeders. Starving animals wouldn't even eat them.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#008000]MissGoddess[/color][/u] wrote:
[u]CineMaven[/u] wrote:
That is why you are the Maven!!
:) by the by, I like your Gable avatar.

[u][color=#4000BF]JackFavell[/color][/u] wrote:I once put some rice cakes (because no one here was eating them) out for the birds or actually for the squirrels who invade our feeders. Starving animals wouldn't even eat them.
D'Ohhhh! Whoever invented rice cakes obviously never ATE rice cakes.

Kathy ( "Rohanaka" ) ought to see the turn this thread is taking. Ha!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I think rice cakes are little more than colored styrofoam.
Chris

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

Rice cakes that come in flavors like cheddar cheese are a bit more palatable...especially when you put crunchy peanut butter on them, but that kind of defeats the purpose of being virtuous, doesn't it?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Might as well have your peanut butter on something good..

I'm telling you, the squirrels know something bad about those rice cakes.... :D
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Peanut Butter works on celery. Something tasty with little calories.
Chris