The Advice Column

Chit-chat, current events
MissGoddess

Re: The Advice Column

Post by MissGoddess »

Such wonderful ideas already, thanks everyone!

I made baked Kale "chips" just a few weeks ago for the first time, I LOVED them! I thought they were amazingly easy to make and tasty. I have a bit of a salt-snack addiction so they really fit the bill.

You'll have to let me know how the grilled lettuce turns out, Wendy, that is unusual to say the least!

Unfortunately, salads with either vinegar or lime/lemon juice are off my list for a while...and I'm so upset about it because I absolutely love these two ingredients, I use them in SO many recipes. However something in my system has suddenly become overly sensitive and my lips break out in the most painful way every time I indulge in too much vinegar or lime (and salt doesn't help, either). It's crazy. I have never had a reaction of any kind to any food. I just hope chocolate isn't next! :o

Ah, peaches...apricots...I love them both but i have the same problem so if I buy any it's just one or two at a time. Have you ever tried red velvet apricots? Oh my goodness, they are soooo delicious. They don't turn up often around here but when they do I usually go crazy for them. They're like a combination plum and apricot.

And Wendy, I completely understand your feelings about the "Big Food" et al...it's really sad. I read something recently that showed how many of the major food manufacturers/distributors have gobbled up the Organic companies, so now practically none of the better known ones are independently owned anymore. And these people sit on the board that regulates what is considered "organic" here. Yikes!

Do you bake with white sugar or do you use brown/unrefined/organic? How about butter? The French seem to do so well with butter so I hope I never have to give it up, at least not for baking. I don't really consume it much at all, but I don't trust margarine.

My mom grew up on a farm, she said she misses the flavors of the foods. They didn't have much but what they had was super delicious.

I'm sorry if I've hijacked the thread with "food" so I hope if anyone has other questions for advice they'll jump right in. :D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Don't worry about it April, mucky books or food, advice is advice :) I love talking food. I wonder if anyone eats as much chocolate as I do? Or drinks as much diet coke :roll:
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

And a tip of the ol' chef's hat to you, JF. As preparer of approximately 5/7's of meals (7/7's during the summer) 'round these parts, with the grill being involved in 100% of summer meals, grilling brussel sprouts (my favorite vegetable) and lettuce hadn't occurred to me. Will immediately add to the current repertoire of eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, patty pan squash, potatoes, leeks, onions, sweet ancient peppers, fennel, beets and artichokes.

Brussel sprouts: Use whole (or cut in half if "large"), drizzle with olive oil & sea salt, and loosely wrap in foil?
Lettuce: Betcha endive would be a good candidate. Grill as above?

Olive oil.... God's gift to us all. Have you read Extra Virginity, a tell-all book about the culinary crimes committed in the making and labeling of olive oils? If it's to be believed, be prepared to take out a second mortgage to pay for real olive oil. The author's rule of thumb: Buy no olive oil that the seller doesn't allow you to taste first. This Greek and faux-Greek household is in trouble since we go through 2 liters about every 2-3 weeks.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

ChiO wrote:the current repertoire of eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, patty pan squash, potatoes, leeks, onions, sweet ancient peppers, fennel, beets and artichokes.
Don't forget the garlic and the asparagus! And tomatoes!
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Ya know, grilled tomatoes are not high on my list. Prefer them raw, but they occasionally make an appearance when souvaki is on the menu (not lately -- fish has been the meat of the summer, though it's lamb chops tonight -- the alpha male of the household, that would be Mrs. ChiO because I'm a Sensitive Seventies type o' guy, craves red meat on occasion).

But, yes, garlic and asparagus are favorites, except the latter can be a pain -- peeling and spearing and all (but, after brussel sprouts, it and beets are in a constant battle for the #2 spot)
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

April-

I am so sorry for you! I love lemons and limes AND vinegar and use them a lot. I know how it is. When I found I couldn't eat onions any more, it made me have to learn cooking all over again. Plus when we go to dinner at Italian friends' houses, I can eat literally nothing with sauce. sad face. Maybe there will be a substitute that will work, something that will just suddenly pop up randomly and work for you. I really feel for you. I used to have a similar reaction when I was kid, I couldn't eat pineapple either, but it went away. I hope the same for you.

ChiO-

The grilled lettuce is done directly on the grill (that's why you need the center part in endive or romaine to hold it together)- make sure to remove any loose leaves from the outside edge, or watch them carefully so they don't fall into the grill. Here's a recipe I looked at, it gives tips on how to keep the olive oil from running out of the lettuce as you are seasoning, etc.:

http://grillinfools.com/blog/2009/05/11 ... the-grill/

As for the Brussel sprouts, we have a small iron grilling bowl with holes in it that we use, but tin foil would also work. Just make sure that any grilling plate or bowl is oiled and seasoned before using it on the grill, otherwise everything sticks.

Now tell me about the artichokes. How to serve, how to eat them?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Now tell me about the artichokes. How to serve, how to eat them?

Nice young artichokes (no discolored leaves; compact) with stems. Cut off the end of the stem. Cut it in half, lengthwise. Scoop out the center fluff & inner leaves. Drizzle with olive oil, sea salt and (maybe) a little dill. Place on grill near coals, turning once. Serve (on plate) and eat (with fingers) as one would a boiled whole artichoke. The real beauty -- for us, anyway -- is that no additional butter or oil is needed. A squoze of fresh lemon, though, never hurts.
My other half likes to experiment with yogurt sauces
Wish I could do that. Sauces (and gravy) intimidate me to death. Combination, I suppose, of lack of patience and that they are so unforgiving -- if it's not right, it's awful.
We have become very fond of quinoa
Same here though. quite unconsciously, we have (or, I have by failing to prepare) cut out rice, pasta and quinoa for the summer. About the only starch is when Mrs. ChiO makes Greek potato salad, which is never for the two of us, but only for hordes descending on the home.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I am so glad to read this thread.

I didn't grow up on a farm, but all of my aunts and uncles did. I usually have a garden when I grow my own tomatoes, peppers, and other assorted veggies.

One of my most requested dishes is my salsa, and I feel that it is so aesthetically pleasing to me to make my own salsa from my very own tomatoes and peppers.

I also have a favorite way to cook veggies. I put in tomatoes, thinly sliced potatoes, broccoli, slices of different kinds of bell peppers, brussel sprouts, onions, or whatever veggie is left lonely and unused in the fridge, sprinkle it with olive oil and garlic powder, and roast them in the oven in the glass pyrex dish at 375 degrees until done. So easy and delish!

One of my favorites during the summer, and you can only enjoy this delicacy if you "grow your own," is fried green tomatoes.

Tasty and delish when you can dip them in homemade sauces, too!

Healthiest fruits I know are blueberries, raspberries, and mangos. Yogurt, cottage cheese, and flaxseed give plenty of energy. Lately, though, I've had a perpetual request for homemade chocolate pudding with vanilla wafers, and I don't know if that is that particularly healthy! I also take lecithin capsules because they help keep me alert, and improve short term memory.

As for the gift books, since I am an English instructor, I have all kinds of books given me as presents. I just be grateful, and read them if I'm interested, and give them away or put them in a garage sale if they aren't. :lol:

I've enjoyed reading this thread!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Don't worry about it April, mucky books or food, advice is advice :) I love talking food. I wonder if anyone eats as much chocolate as I do? Or drinks as much diet coke :roll:
Did somebody say chocolate? I wanted to make chocolate one of the foundations of my church. So far no takers but I'm not giving up. I have cut back on my sodas. I'm a Pepsi or Dr. Pepper fan and if I can get a "throwback" (they use natural sugar) I'm there.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

O.K. Chris. So don't get too jealous...but I actually had an actual Dr. Pepper at the actual Dr. Pepper museum in Waco.
Actually.

Yummmm......
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Love Dr. P!

Thanks, ChiO for the artichoke recipe! I love them but I never know how to make them other than the regular steaming or boiling recipes. They sound heavenly!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

I agree with Jackie! That grilled artichoke sounds wonderful. I will have to try it!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Christy:

I'm already jealous so one more thing won't be too bad.

Oh, well....
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

charliechaplinfan wrote:Don't worry about it April, mucky books or food, advice is advice :) I love talking food. I wonder if anyone eats as much chocolate as I do? Or drinks as much diet coke :roll:

:D If I'm not ahead of you I'm right with you. A day without something chocolate to eat or drink? Unheard of since I was born, I think, ha. I don't think I could ever give it up. Not even for Gary Cooper.

I was never much of a cola or soda drinker (my parents only allowed it as a rare treat) but the last few times I was able to take a vacation break somewhere warm, I found myself craving a diet coke with a slice of lime in it after a day out in the sun. Nothing else would do. Sometimes I'll have one here, but it's not the same for me as having one on holiday.
:D
"There's only one thing that can kill the movies, and that's education."
-- Will Rogers