FILM FESTIVAL CELEBRATING UNIVERSAL'S 100 YEARS

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

FILM FESTIVAL CELEBRATING UNIVERSAL'S 100 YEARS

Post by feaito »

A friend of mine who lives near New York will be attending this Film Festival that celebrates Universal Studios' 100 years, showcasing some 35 mm prints of Classic and rare films such as:

- Lonesome (1928)
- The Goose Woman (1935)
- Magnificent Obsession (1935)
- Show Boat (1936)
- The Man Who Laughs (1928)
- Broadway (1929)
- The Good Fairy (1935)
- Little Man What Now? (1934) and many more

Anyone plans to attend? Moira? I'd love to be there...Check this link

http://tinyurl.com/d7e48jx
moira finnie
Administrator

Re: FILM FESTIVAL CELEBRATING UNIVERSAL'S 100 YEARS

Post by moira finnie »

Alas, The Film Forum in Manhattan is a bit too far away (and expensive) for me to attend, Fernando. Still, you know if I could see Margaret Sullavan on the big screen in The Good Fairy and Little Man, What Now, I would be there in a minute. Maybe our resident New York City dwellers such as Miss Goddess, CineMaven, or Professional Tourist are attending?
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
feaito

Post by feaito »

Sorry to hear that Moira. Maybe April, Theresa or PT will attend and tell us about the experience.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Oh I've got a few films marked on my calendar already.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
feaito

Post by feaito »

That's fine Theresa; please keep us informed.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

New York City, West Houston Street.

...And if you pronounce Houston like the city in Texas...then you are an out-of-towner.

I went to the Film Forum yesterday to catch the Hitchcock double feature: "SABOTEUR" starring Priscilla Lane and ****** ******** and "SHADOW OF A DOUBT" starring Teresa Wright and Joseph Cotten. The audience was quiet and respectful even though the Film Forum's seats got smaller over the years. ( Huh? :shock: ) It was fun to watch "Shadow Of A Doubt" on the big screen and I guess this'll go for all the films I'll see during this series. THIS is the way movies are intended to be viewed...on the big screen. Seeing films on a big screen is for me like a shot directly into my blood stream. Sooooooooooo good and dreamy. The film envelops me. Hitch is great. You think he's laying it all out for you like breadcrumbs from your seat to the screen. But he gives you plenty of nuggets to discover on your own along the way.

It was also especially fun to watch "Shadow Of A Doubt" because it reminded me of the movie chat I had with my friend Bob. In fact I saw something at yesterday's screening that I didn't even notice to bring up during our conversation. Ooooh, that Hitch!!! If you want to see our chat about Hitch's film...please check us out here.

( P.S. psssst! I don't think I'm supposed to mention the name "Robert Cummings" in polite company. )

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

How did the sequence on the Statue of Liberty in Saboteur look on the big screen? Did the audience laugh at the jokes (like the people bickering on the circus train)? Was Robert Cummings he-who-shall-not-be-named a better actor in those larger dimensions? [Yes, he was good in this movie and a few others, I am just wondering]
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

You must have been in Maven Haven! Thanks for acknowledging several films, not to mention 100, that mean a lot to me. First the Universal salute. Without Frank, Wolfie and the ever present Igor, my childhood would have been deprived. The marquee also boasts ANNIE HALL. Not only my favorite Woody Allen film. One of the greatest of the great comedies. A movie not unlike CITIZEN KANE in its imaginative and unpredictable presentation.

And that Hitchcock! If SHADOW OF A DOUBT was the director's personal favorite, the fast and flying SABOTEUR is one of mine. Like THE 39 STEPS, the story gallops past with attention to detail and character, but not enough time to take it too seriously. It's a cinematic carnival ride, and one I love to hang onto.

"Howston?"
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#0000FF]moirafinnie[/color][/u] wrote:How did the sequence on the Statue of Liberty in Saboteur look on the big screen? Did the audience laugh at the jokes (like the people bickering on the circus train)? Was Robert Cummings he-who-shall-not-be-named a better actor in those larger dimensions? [Yes, he was good in this movie and a few others, I am just wondering]
SO LET IT BE WRITTEN. SO LET IT BE DONE!

Remember the Randolph Scott movie "SHE" where folks couldn't mention her name? :D

I must confess, I had to leave “Saboteur” early to meet a friend. Believe me, when I walked up the dark aisle as Priscilla and Him first are thrown together in the car, it was like pulling off a bandaid...slowly. Thank goodness Norman Lloyd is still with us and quite the raconteur. During “Shadow Of A Doubt” you could hear a pin drop. And that is just...the...way...I...like...to...see...my... thrillers! Church mouse-style. ( Sssssh! )

[u][color=#800000]RedRiver[/color][/u] wrote:You must have been in Maven Haven! Thanks for acknowledging several films, not to mention 100, that mean a lot to me. First the Universal salute. Without Frank, Wolfie and the ever present Igor, my childhood would have been deprived. The marquee also boasts ANNIE HALL. Not only my favorite Woody Allen film. One of the greatest of the great comedies. A movie not unlike CITIZEN KANE in its imaginative and unpredictable presentation.
Yep, I was pretty happy. My main concern is that the audience be quiet and respectful ( and not camp it up as I fear they will do later this month when the Sirk version of "Written On the Wind" and "Magnificent Obsession" run. ) And I too was a devoted...devotee of all iterations of movie monsters, monster mashes and Abbott & Costello. Long LIVE Universal. As for "ANNIE HALL" I think it's the best thing Woody Allen ever did. Don't know if I'll have time to check it out. It'd be great though. New York City has changed so much since that film was filmed here. < ( Sigh! ) >
"Howston?"
Give the man a cigar. You're an Honorary Noo Yawker. Let me buy you a drink!

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

A friend of mine was at The Film Forum Sunday! You just missed each other. The first time I watched SABOTEUR, it was halfway through the movie when I said, "Holy Cow! That's the old guy from ST. ELSEWHERE!" As for the gentleman whose name must not be spoken, his shortcomings didn't exclude him from some top notch projects. The Hitchcock thrillers. THE DEVIL AND MISS JONES. And the great soap opera of them all. KINGS ROW!
feaito

Post by feaito »

RedRiver wrote:A friend of mine was at The Film Forum Sunday! You just missed each other. The first time I watched SABOTEUR, it was halfway through the movie when I said, "Holy Cow! That's the old guy from ST. ELSEWHERE!" As for the gentleman whose name must not be spoken, his shortcomings didn't exclude him from some top notch projects. The Hitchcock thrillers. THE DEVIL AND MISS JONES. And the great soap opera of them all. KINGS ROW!
...as well as the wonderful comedy "It Started with Eve" (1941), with Deanna Durbin and Charles Laughton, arguably one of her best; the best episode of Duvivier's "Flesh and Fantasy" (1943) in which he and Betty Field are great; the stylish and elegant Anthony Mann thriller "Reign of Terror" (1949), the superb, gothic "The Lost Moment" (1947); the super-smart comedy "Princess O'Rourke" (1943); the quite unique Sirk "Sleep My Love" (1948)...Give this actor his due! :wink:
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Shoot! My friend was unable to see CRISS-CROSS and THE KILLERS at The Film Forum. Needless to say, they were highly recommended by me!
Uncle Stevie

Post by Uncle Stevie »

It has been written that Deanna Durbin saved Universal Studios. Here is a rather long dialogue on that happening. It is an interesting read.

http://wheredangerlives.blogspot.com/20 ... -1944.html
Uncle Stevie

"Great Marriages Are Made In Heaven,
So Is Thunder and Lightning"
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Image Image Image
LAWRENCE TALBOT, DOCTOR JOHN GRIFFIN, and ARDETH BEY

Full house this Sunday at the Film Forum with its tribute to Universal Studios continuing. Yesterday's and today’s tributes offer up “The Wolfman” “The Invisible Man” and ”The Mummy.” These three are actually three very tragic tales. In "The Wolfman" there's a great cast including Claude Rains, Ralph Bellamy, Warren William, Patric Knowles, Maria Ouspenskaya, Bela Lugosi and Evelyn Ankers. Through no fault of his own one man’s lycanthropy is not in his mind or imagination. He helps a damsel in distress and is bitten by a wolf for his chivalry. He’s scared, haunted...he doesn’t want this thing. He feels guilt. And shame.

In “The Invisible Man” we come to this H.G.Wells story with the scientist already in the midst of his invisibility ...and dementia. Una O’Connor livens up the proceedings, but it is Claude Rains’ show all the way. He is astounding. He’s covered up for 99% of the movie, but we hear his fabulous voice, and he gives a great performance under those bandages. The megalomania sets in and we’re off to the races. He’s cruel. He’s crazy. Even the moon is afraid of him??? Power-mad he goes unchecked. No, he leaves no doubt he relishes being a monster.

“The Mummy” is the third leg in this triple feature. The first close-up sighting of The Mummy is still unsettling to see even eighty years later, if you go with the spirit of the film. So convincing, I believed Karloff came back from the dead thousands of years later; well...I choose to believe it anyway. Well-crafted story. The flashback was done with care and detail ( as only movies could do back then, I romanticize. ) And when the Mummy comes back as Ardeth Bey, we see that all he wants is to bring back his lost love. He went to great lengths to bring her back from the dead the first time, thousands of years before, and when he sees he has a second chance with Zita Johann, he goes for it again. He’s not a monster for monster’s sake. He died for love centuries before...... and he’ll kill for love now.

The movie has my favorite line of all time:

”Call her. He’s dragged her back to Ancient Egypt. Call her. Her love for you will bridge the centuries.”

If you click on the photo above of the wolfman, you will see an excerpt of legendary make-up artist RICK BAKER introducing "The Wolfman" at the TCM Classic Film Festival this April.

I’m loathe to call these men monsters. Each actor imbued his character with heart and soul and passion. It was a good time...and a sad time.