Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: DEWEY'S RECORD PARTY!

Post by JackFavell »

Now I'm awake! :D
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

A Chicago Soul legend has joined the Heavenly Soul Choir.

R.I.P., Lou Pride.

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The commercial area of our little neighborhood has its street
festival this weekend. We went last night to catch a local band
flail away for 90 minutes.

Fox River
[youtube][/youtube]

Do What I Say
[youtube][/youtube]

Plenty Tuff Union Made
[youtube][/youtube]

Too Sweet to Die
[youtube][/youtube]

Big River and I Fought the Law
[youtube][/youtube]

20th Century Boy
[youtube][/youtube]
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

The place to stand to be cool in this stifling heat is on the Street
Corner, Bronx-style.

Robert and Johnny: I Believe in You
[youtube][/youtube]

The Halos: Nag
[youtube][/youtube]

The Demensions: Over the Rainbow
[youtube][/youtube]

The Wrens: Beggin' for Love
[youtube][/youtube]

The Earls: Life Is But a Dream
[youtube][/youtube]

The Kings of the Korner --
Dion & The Belmonts: I Wonder Why
[youtube][/youtube]
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Let's dance!

The dBs: Black and White
[youtube][/youtube]

The Chills: Heavenly Pop Hit
[youtube][/youtube]

Superchunk: Hyper Enough
[youtube][/youtube]

Material Issue: Valerie Loves Me
[youtube][/youtube]

The B-52's: Private Idaho
[youtube][/youtube]
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Gosh! All my favorites! Nice!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

This Saturday was Woody Guthrie's 100th birthday, and I couldn't let it go by without a post. Here are my favorites by this great American songwriter:

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

If your kids or grandkids don't know this one, please teach it to them! I found out that my daughter never learned this one in school, which shocked me.

[youtube][/youtube]
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

We sang that one in school! The song is used effectively in the closing of BOUND FOR GLORY. Woody basically "talks" the lyrics, over some train footage, I believe. Then it transitions into the music for the credits.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Don't you love when people in movies use songs effectively over closing credits?

I'm sorry for the length of this post, but I have to brag. We were lucky enough to spend Woody's birthday with Arlo Guthrie and his entire family.

With several hundred other fans. :D :D

The Green River Music Festival is a wonderful event in Massachusetts, that we try to get to every year. It's not far from the Guthrie homestead, so they celebrated Woody's day with a lineup that was out of this world including Arlo and every member of the Guthrie family right down to the youngest grandchild:

[youtube][/youtube]

It was good to see so many of Woody's family following in his footsteps. His daughter Sarah Lee Guthrie, sang a song that was hilarious, the first line of which is "I found the bachelor party pictures". I couldn't find it on youtube, probably because it was very rude. She's definitely inherited her dad's sense of humor. They played all my favorite Woody Guthrie songs posted above, including a rousing version of Oklahoma Hills.

All bands played at their very top form. I can't think of anyone there who wasn't brilliant! The rest of the lineup looked like this:

Richard Thompson (he blistered this one):
[youtube][/youtube]

Thompson played two beautiful new songs that are apparently untitled as yet, perhaps they will make the cut for his 2013 album. He was completely on top of his game, and seems to just get better every year. The only folk guitarist I can think of who can sound like a whole band when playing a solo acoustic set.

CJ Chenier:
[youtube][/youtube]

Charles Bradley:
[youtube][/youtube]

Martin Simpson (from England, he broke my heart with this song):
[youtube][/youtube]

Lake Street Dive (this band was just great, really got a fantastic vibe from them, they sounded much bigger in person)
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

Los Lobos (another band that just keeps getting better and better, they could play some of those complicated Mexican folk songs in their sleep I bet):
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

Rubblebucket (crowd favorites, people went berserk for these guys)

[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]
[youtube][/youtube]

If you ever have a chance to see Rubblebucket live, do it! :D I can't even explain what they do - the live show is full of crazy fun including giant robots and stilt dancers who interact with the audience, and the lead singer came out into the audience and painted some of our faces. These videos don't do justice to their music The lead singer is absolutely beautiful, you can't tell here, but she's really pretty. My daughter who is eleven loved them and Lake Street Dive the best, probably because they are young. Rubblebucket also did a blend of Blondie's Heart of Glass/Rapture that was great.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some of the bands, but these were the highlights for me. If you're ever in Mass. in July, the Green River Festival is a super time, the port-a-potties are clean and it's a family friendly, small venue event. Oh yeah, and they have a huge hot air balloon launch on Saturday afternoon, this year there were about 10 balloons, going up one at a time in the lower field as the music played. It was grand.

I'll leave you with another Woody song, by Arlo and the family:

[youtube][/youtube]
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Music World losses yesterday:

Kitty Wells
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Jon Lord (keyboards)
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

Bob Babbitt (bass)
[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]

R.I.P.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Oh my gosh, that's terrible! So many on the same day. I feel bad for gushing about our trip now, when so many influential musicians left us yesterday.

I love Kitty Wells. A huge part of classic country is gone. She was the very first female to break into the top 10 charts in the 50's. I think she made more appearances on the Grand Old Opry than anyone. I am not a real country music aficionado, but when they started showing those old Classic Country shows on TV, I really became a fan, and discovered a wealth of musical inspiration there, and Kitty Wells was a gigantic part of that. Without Kitty Wells, there'd be no Patsy Cline, no Dolly Parton, no Emmylou.... She was a pioneer in the best sense of the word.

I think an entire year of my childhood could be devoted to Smoke on the Water, that's all you heard on the radio. How good looking they all were! I never knew that, nor how good they were as musicians. We just knew they were cool, the minute that riff came on.

And I can't tell you how much I always loved that walking bass line in Signed Sealed Delivered I'm Yours.

What a sad day, but it's good to know we can still listen to the music these dedicated musicians left behind.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Wendy, you make me proud. I'm from the south. I should know the great Kitty Wells. I'm glad she touched your life as well. This is like baseball losing Mickey Mantle. The movies mourning John Ford. This is one of the artists who brought country music from pure hillbilly to something more palatable to the mainstream. Loretta Lynn often cites the influence of Patsy Cline. I have a feeling she learned from this yodeler as well.

From the 1950's well into the 70's, she was one of those performers whose name meant REAL country. Not rock and roll with an accent! Pre-dating Lynn, Merle Haggard, even Johnny Cash, she was one of the artists who kept the music alive between its raw roots and the later incarnation. She wasn't the only, or even the first vocalist to record the classic RELEASE ME or the immortal MAKING BELIEVE. But she was the most pure. The most country. The most Kitty Wells.

Somebody has to say this. It may as well be me. The choirs of Heaven have been joined by a Honky Tonk Angel!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Red, that was lovely! Beautifully put.

I actually hated country music when I was a kid, growing up in Oklahoma. Country music was ever present there. It took me years to find classic country, way up into late college and after. I moved away from Oklahoma and Illinois, to Wisconsin which left enough distance for me to finally try this form I thought I didn't like.

I wish they would show those Classic Country shows again, they really opened my eyes to some music I looked down on for an awfully long time. I realize now that I was completely deluded - the roots of most of the music I liked at the time were firmly planted in classic country.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I actually hated country music when I was a kid

I hate it now!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Well that's different! I can't say I listen to what they call country music now. :D