"Supermodel (You Better Work)"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Back To My Roots"
[youtube][/youtube]

"Don't Go Breaking My Heart" With Elton John
[youtube][/youtube]

"I'm Coming Out"
[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by benwhowell on October 5th, 2007, 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

The most incredible record store, VILLAGE MUSIC, in Mill Valley, CA (just north of San Francisco) is closing its doors for good at the end of this month. For decades it has been unchallenged as the most fascinating and wonderfully stocked place for actual VINYL records in the entire Bay Area. Maybe the world. For anyone who has always prefered the good old analog sweetness of recorded music, VILLAGE was like an oasis in a rapidly changing, technology-driven universe of synthetic sound. So we trudged over there yesteday for one last spree. But the sight of the place, under the pall of extinction, was too sad to bear for much longer than a half hour. Mrs. Dewey found a nice old Charles Aznavour album and our friends found a Gato Barbieri they'd been looking for. And I found a nice, clean copy of this, one of my favorite LPs of the 60s - THAT WAS THE YEAR THAT WAS by TOM LEHRER. I loaned mine to someone about thirty years ago but can't remember who.

"So Long Mom" (I'm Off To Drop The Bomb)
[youtube][/youtube]

"Pollution"
[youtube][/youtube]

"National Brotherhood Week"
[youtube][/youtube]

R.I.P., Village Music.
Last edited by Dewey1960 on September 22nd, 2007, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
traceyk

Post by traceyk »

Dewy et al.--
This thread is a hoot! Very long, but worth it!
Thanks!

BTW, Does anyone else have trouble getting those youtube vids to play? I keep freezing up. Guess I need to go on at 2 am or something...
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. "~~Wilde
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hi Tracey -
On behalf of the Record Party's intrepid staff, thanks for your kind kudos. A number of folks have told me that the going gets kind of slow when scrolling through all this fine music. It could be that your computer is slow. I don't know why the time of day (or night) should make a difference, but perhaps it does. Anyway, thanks again for checking out the Record Party! -Dewey
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

Dewey, your Tom Lehrer medley brings back many counter-culture memories, but to my mind, this is his greatest work:

[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Wow, Judith, I'd never heard "Silent E" before; thanks!! Back atcha with Leherer's classic "New Math."
[youtube][/youtube]
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I think the animated "Silent E" was shown on the 1970s reading instruction show "The Electric Company," the show that introduced Morgan Freeman to the world as "Easy Reader." It was a terrific show that seamlessly melded instruction and entertainment.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Time for Dewey's Pick Hit of the Week!

The John Butler Trio "Better Than"
[youtube][/youtube]
benwhowell

Sunny day...

Post by benwhowell »

Dewey and Judith, you both reminded me of a favorite "Sesame Street" song from Steve Zuckerman-
"Capital I"
[youtube][/youtube]

And who doesn't remember "Mahna Mahna"
[youtube][/youtube]

And this one from "Carmen"
[youtube][/youtube]
Handsome Johnny Eck
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

In honor of tomorrows showing, I found a clip of Shawn Lane playing the beautiful ballad from Once Upon a Time in the West (1969). I have often heard people cover the main theme, but never the ballad which I personally think is one of the most beautiful peices of music, period.

Here is the ballad from the film so you can hear what the original score sounded like:

Here is Shawn's Version:

For those who have never heard of Shawn Lane, he was probably the biggest underground guitar player in the US. He won guitar contests at 13 and went on tour with Black Oak Arkansas at 16 in 1978.

He had amazing fluidity and dexterity and was also a master pianist. Shawn finally got a record deal in 1991. Powers of Ten was an interesting debut and Lane went on to work with other great musicians like Jonas Hellborg and Michael Shrieve.

Shawn suffered from Psoriasis and also had Psoriatic Arthritis. The drugs he had to take for these conditions caused him to gain a huge amount of weight and finally caused his death of Pulmonary Fibrosis at the age of 40.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey Mr. Ark -- we don't see you around here nearly enough -- thanks for those incredible links! Mighty fine!

Howzabout a little EDDY GRANT for your Saturday morning?

with his 1968 group THE EQUALS "Baby Come Back"
[youtube][/youtube]

and his awesome 1982 comback hit ELECTRIC AVENUE...
[youtube][/youtube]
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

This should be a radio station. At least this has variety. When you can get Sergio Mendes, Aaron Copland and people I've never heard of it can only be this side of heaven.

Mike Nesmith on his way to "Rio." (Just a fun song.)

[youtube][/youtube]
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hi Chris! Nice to see you at the Record Party!! Here's another little fun ditty that doesn't get nearly enough spins these days...

Guy Marks "Loving You Has Made Me Bananas"
[youtube][/youtube]

Stop by again; it's one great tune after another!
--Dewey
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Time for a little Sunday motivational sermon from none other than John Mayall, one of the UK's premiere blues giants!!

JOHN MAYALL..."Room To Move"
[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

BIG ANNOUNCEMENT! BIG ANNOUNCEMENT!
This past week I launched (with a little help from some friends) my own new website, DEWEY'S TRAILER PARK! For anyone who has enjoyed the "Dewey's Record Party" and "Connie & Chet's Trailer Park" threads, it should provide hours of amusement and edification!

Here's the link: http://www.deweystrailerpark.com/

I hope you all take a minute to stop by and check it out. I'll probably be spending a little less time on these boards (at least for a while) but fully intend to keep posting on the wonderful Oasis site. I'd also like to thank everyone here who has supported (especially Moira) and participated (especially Ben) in these threads all summer long!
xox - Dewey
[youtube][/youtube]