DEWEY'S RECORD PARTY!

Chit-chat, current events
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey; Alice Cooper's from Detroit...and so is Dewey! Ergo...

"No More Mr. Nice Guy"
[youtube][/youtube]

"School's Out"
[youtube][/youtube]

http://www.deweystrailerpark.com/
moira finnie
Administrator

Congratulations, Dewey on your new website.

Post by moira finnie »

Congratulations and kudos-a-go-go to the website that's grown out of Dewey's "magnificent obsession" and imagination. I have visited the site and it is graphically very cool and so much fun.

I'm thrilled for you, Dewster, but know that you'll still share your passion for films and pop culture with our merry band. How great that someone could have a new creative outlet for all that knowledge and appreciation!

Moira :lol:
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Hey Moira - Thanks so much for the very generous words of enthusiasm and encouragment! I hope all the fine Oasis folks get a chance to stop by for a gander.
Best, Dewey
benwhowell

Punk Jazz...

Post by benwhowell »

"Prehensite Dream" The Bad Plus
[youtube][/youtube]

"Chunga-Changa" Ruski Sindrom
[youtube][/youtube]

"Agent X" The Goons
[youtube][/youtube]

"The Passion Plumbers" Nervous Cabaret
[youtube][/youtube]
Handsome Johnny Eck
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Time for Dewey's oddball classic of the week:

Little Roger & the Goosebumps "Stairway to Gilligan's Island"
[youtube][/youtube]

www.deweystrailerpark.com
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

A Record Party treat if there ever was one: ANITA O'DAY singing "Sweet Georgia Brown" and "Tea For Two" at the 1958 Newport Jazz Festival...
[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Say gang, it's time to crank up the Record Party! It's Sunday morning here at Dewey's place -- and I imagine at your place, too...

Eddy Grant "Electric Avenue"
[youtube][/youtube]

Madness "Our House"
[youtube][/youtube]

The Beat "Tears of A Clown"
[youtube][/youtube]

Musical Youth "Pass the Dutchie"
[youtube][/youtube]

And don't forget, whenever you're in the neighborhood, stop on by www.deweystrailerpark.com
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Welcome back to the Record Party -- howzabout some oddball Sunday morning samplings?

Kyu Sakamoto "Sukiyaki"
[youtube][/youtube]

Wayne Newton "Danke Schoen"
[youtube][/youtube]

Elvis Presley "Wooden Heart"
[youtube][/youtube]
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Say, has anyone else out there heard this? It's a group called THE ZIMMERS doing their version of The Who's MY GENERATION. Everyone in this group is over 70 years old! Let's welcome these cats and kittens to the Record Party!
[youtube][/youtube]
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

That's pretty cool, Dewey, but it's no "Curly Shuffle"!
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Well, Chris, before the advent of the Curly Shuffle, there was this little bit of mayhem...
[youtube][/youtube]
cinemalover

Post by cinemalover »

"It ain't the dippin', it's the countin' that's got me!" Classic Curley.
Chris

The only bad movie is no movie at all.
Dewey1960

Post by Dewey1960 »

Dewey's pick hit of the week -- mainly cuz Mrs. Dewey likes it so much! It's the Plain White Tees and their swoony tune, HEY THERE DELILAH...
[youtube][/youtube]
Hollis

Post by Hollis »

Good morning Dewey,

My favorite album of all time (since I first heard it way back in 1971) is "The Allman Brothers Band Live at the Fillmore East." I never tire of listening to it. I mean that quite literally, and after 36 years to boot! Listen to "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" and you'll see what I mean (if you're not already familiar with the album.) I think it's far and away the best live recording I've ever heard. I especially enjoy throwing on the headphones, cranking it up and imaging myself in the front row, center stage!
I think I know every note of every track and yet I still enjoy it as much as i did upon first hearing it. No other album, even "Magical Mystery Tour", "Abbey Road," "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out," "The White Album" or even the Woodstock soundtrack even comes close in my humble opinion. I can't explain it but it just moves me and I can listen regardless of what my mood might be. If you know of any video/film (with or without sound) of those March 12th and 13th, 1971 performances to accompany the music, please let me know.

As always,

Hollis
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Live at Fillmore East (1971) is a great album with good sounding tones from both Duane and Dickey.

A big part of Duane's sound was an old Fuzz Face distortion unit like these:

Duane used to like old worn out batteries in them which gave the units a different sound than fresh ones.

They also used older 100 watt Marshall "Plexi" Superlead amplifiers which gave more headroom and bottom end than than the 50 watters. They used Marshall 4/12 cabinets, but instead of the stock Celestion speakers which are warm and break up easily, they liked JBL's which are a much more powerful, cleaner, HiFi type of sound. They also used to remove the backs off their cabs for a more open sound.

Finally, both guitarists used 50's Gibson Les Pauls with PAF humbucking pickups (these guitars are very sought after now and can sell for 100K). Duane would also use a 60's Les Paul/SG model for slide as well.

Duane's slide playing was all done with his fingers--no pick. His slide of choice were the glass coricidin medicine bottles sold in the 60's and discontinued in the early 80's.

I don't know about video footage from the actual Fillmore East show, but here's some video from 1970 of Mountain Jam:

Last edited by Mr. Arkadin on November 18th, 2007, 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.