WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY?

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: WHAT YOU HAVE FOR DINNER TODAY!

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: March 12th, 2023, 2:18 am I could never follow Joyce, but I can hang with Beckett a little bit.
The novels are considered difficult for most readers, but Joyce wrote many short stories that are near sublime. The narratives are more conventional and readable than the novels The most famous ones are in a collection entitled Dubliners among which is "The Dead," considered by some critics over the decades as the best short story in the English language. Rather extravagant praise on the face of it but it's a great read. And check out the movie that was made in '87. Read the story after dinner. ;)
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

I like one persons review of Finnegans Wake I read where it said “here is a reference to a 10th century Irish rock carving that three people have seen.” :D All of Joyce is exactly like that with esoteric Gaelic references strewn about Willy nilly.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Yes, i have a copy of Dubliners somewhere. What,s your take on Beckett, Laffite? BTW, Sunday is boudin day. I'm fixin' to cook up a batch and if you are finally out of central lockup then come on over. I don't make it from scratch, mind you, but i do get it fresh from the market. All you have to do is boil some water. If you go to Cagun land, around Lafayette to Lake Charles, you can get a boudin hot off the presses at practically every gas station / mini mart on the avenue.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Thompson wrote: March 12th, 2023, 12:44 pm Yes, i have a copy of Dubliners somewhere. What,s your take on Beckett, Laffite? BTW, Sunday is boudin day. I'm fixin' to cook up a batch and if you are finally out of central lockup then come on over. I don't make it from scratch, mind you, but i do get it fresh from the market. All you have to do is boil some water. If you go to Cagun land, around Lafayette to Lake Charles, you can get a boudin hot off the presses at practically every gas station / mini mart on the avenue.
One thing that has always interested me (as a student of Theology, and as one who is always looking for the influences of one's religion on non-religious aspects of life) is that almost all of the great Irish playwrights were Protestant: Sheridan, Farquhar, Boucicault, Goldsmith, Wilde, Shaw, Yeats, Lady Gregory, Synge, O'Casey, and Beckett.

Joyce (primarily a novelist) was Catholic, as are the more contemporary Irish dramatists.
laffite

Post by laffite »

LostHorizons wrote: March 12th, 2023, 11:56 am I like one persons review of Finnegans Wake I read where it said “here is a reference to a 10th century Irish rock carving that three people have seen.” :D All of Joyce is exactly like that with esoteric Gaelic references strewn about Willy nilly.
I think not "all of Joyce" as noted on my last.
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

Okay the boudins are ready to eat. They are not the blood boudins, known as noir boudins, but the milder ones and not as bloody. The rice soaks up most of the blood but you cant cook em in no microwave, they splatter all over, like a busted artery
Andree

Post by Andree »

I'd rather look like Beckett than Auden. And Auden wasn't really that old when he died, only in his mid 60s.
Every man has a right to an umbrella.~Dostoyevsky
Thompson

Re: WHAT YOU HAVE FER DINNER TODAY?

Post by Thompson »

Bangers and mash. I used the keith Richards method and didn't let anybody into the kitchen.
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thompson wrote: March 12th, 2023, 12:44 pm Yes, i have a copy of Dubliners somewhere. What,s your take on Beckett, Laffite? BTW, Sunday is boudin day. I'm fixin' to cook up a batch and if you are finally out of central lockup then come on over. I don't make it from scratch, mind you, but i do get it fresh from the market. All you have to do is boil some water. If you go to Cagun land, around Lafayette to Lake Charles, you can get a boudin hot off the presses at practically every gas station / mini mart on the avenue.
Not sure. I can take it or Beckett. :roll:
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Pepperoni and candy floss.
jimimac71

Post by jimimac71 »

Okay, I used the new AI feature from Microsoft Edge to track this down.

Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: March 15th, 2023, 2:13 pm Pepperoni and candy floss.
Wasn't that that little Mexican dude who traveled around the world in 80 days with David Niven???

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

Dargo wrote: March 15th, 2023, 4:27 pm
Wasn't that that little Mexican dude who traveled around the world in 80 days with David Niven???

No. Candy is a dancer from a _____ bar not too far from where I work.
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Intrepid37 wrote: March 15th, 2023, 4:38 pm
Dargo wrote: March 15th, 2023, 4:27 pm

No. Candy is a dancer from a _____ bar not too far from where I work.
LOL

Good reply!
Thompson

Post by Thompson »

In the middle of Lent on a Friday no less, I'm going with a half dozen raw oysters to start. A cup of seafood gumbo next. I like to save the salad for after. Then barbecued jumbo shrimp and crisp French bread with butter.

Dargo, ol buddy, ever had a post deleted? I ask the same question to Millstone, Lafflte, and all my 'friends' here. Seems I've had more than one deleted overniight. Who deleted them, and particularly why? A couple of my posts had Likes attached but when clicking to find out the Liked post, it's been deleted. Will this post be deleted too?