Merry Christmas!

Chit-chat, current events
Rita Hayworth

Re: Merry Christmas!

Post by Rita Hayworth »

RedRiver wrote:You can learn a lot about history by watching classic movies.

Very much so, RedRiver and you will not get any argument out of me ... I learned a lot about our history by watching these classic movies and they continues to teach us a new meaning of it every time I watch them. What you written here was spot on. Thanks for sharing that.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Beautifully said, Red.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

It's amazing how much we have to explain to the kids when watching classic movies even when it's only National Lampoon's Christmas and Summer vacation (yes Joe has a liking for these) the technology, our childhood, God the fashions were awful.

I had a lovely day yesterday, ironing and watching Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and Pal Joey, I haven't watched musicals back to back like it for years, I don't know why it's so much fun.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Hello, Alison! Hope your holidays were filled with love and laughter.!!!!
I had to watch all three "Vacation"movies on Christmas Day, too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll: :roll:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I think those Vacation movies are a 'boy' thing, my husband likes them too, probably remembers seeing them in the theater.

Alison, I watched Seven Brides too and have been getting back into musicals lately. I think sometimes we think we've outgrown them, that's where I started in classic film. But lately they've been just the thing. I've been enjoying Fred Astaire lately and also saw It's Only Fair Weather, which is deeper and not totally fun, but was very good.

May you have a happy healthy and merry new year! All the best to the family as well.
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I hear young people talk about "great movies" like CHRISTMAS VACATION, THE BIG LEBOWSKI, THE PRINCESS BRIDE. I want to shake them and say, "Listen to me. THE SEARCHERS is a great movie. CITIZEN KANE is a great one. Those others are just movies!"
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Have a wonderful time, Masha! It sounds great. Tell me, why no beef stock in the borscht?
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Is oil also prohibited? Do you get to eat shellfish?

Just curious how the various Orthodox ethnicities or geographic areas may massage the "rules" on fasting. In Greece, each village seems to have its own variations on a theme. A sister-in-law served bakalao (cod) one Saturday during Great Lent and I mentioned that I was surprised. She said that bakalao is always permitted. As our Priest said, "Yeah, for that village's Yiayias maybe."
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
mrsl

Post by mrsl »

MERRY CHRISTMAS, MASHA!!!

The dinner you prepared sounds very much like the Polish traditional dinner we used to have on our Christmas eve, when my Mom was alive and prepared it. Unfortunately Mom was a very close mouthed cook and never showed my sister or I how to make things, so when she died, we had to give up the tradition.

Like you, a large fish was the main course with other courses consisting of saurkraut, mushrooms, home-made mushroom soup, mashed potatoes and onions, and other non-meat courses. I really miss it, and regret that I never urged Mom to teach me her recipes. As a bride, my bibles were my cook books received as gifts.
Anne

* * * * * * * * What is past is prologue. * * * * * * * *

]***********************************************************************
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

As I understand the "official" fasting guidelines, one cannot consume those things that have, or are associated with, blood or animals with blood.

Therefore, no meat, no dairy (including eggs), and no oil. What's the oil's "blood" connection? Because olive oil was stored in animal skins.

Shellfish & cephalopods are okay since they don't have blood (or so the Church says - me, I'm a pre-med drop-out so what do I know).
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Merry Christmas, Masha!!!!

Hope you and Cap have a wonderful holiday! Your dinner sounds yummy by the way!
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

moira finnie
Administrator

Post by moira finnie »

С Рождеством!
S RazhdеstvOm!
and Have yourself a Merry Christmas, Masha!

Above: Masha, our favorite Snow Queen, (and friend) on her way to Christmas celebrations.
Avatar: Frank McHugh (1898-1981)

The Skeins
TCM Movie Morlocks