Merry Christmas!

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: Merry Christmas!

Post by RedRiver »

Our regional PBS outlet ran the 1935 SCROOGE last night. A low budget British project featuring Seymour Hicks. It was a terrible copy; hard to watch. But beyond this obstacle, it looked like a fine movie. Contained, well acted, dramatic and to the point. I was disappointed that three of the four ghosts were all but invisible. It looked like Scrooge was conversing with imaginary characters. The appearance was that of children putting on a play in the backyard. "Ok, now the bad guy comes in!" But everything else about this Twickenham Studios production was very much on target.

SCROOGE was directed by someone named Henry Edwards. I've never heard much about Henry, and I probably never will!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Thanks for posting the "Suzy Snowflake" song/video. I remember that song a lot from when I was in Kindergarten, but not really much after that. It always has a kind of wistful/sad quality, I think.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

Yesterday afternoon, as we do every year, we went to the Music Box Theater to sing carols with Santa, hiss at Mr. Potter, jingle bells at Clarence, whistle at Violet, shout "Hot dog!" and watch:

[youtube][/youtube]
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

MikeBSG wrote:Thanks for posting the "Suzy Snowflake" song/video. I remember that song a lot from when I was in Kindergarten, but not really much after that. It always has a kind of wistful/sad quality, I think.
I think so, too, Mike, but I still love it. It brings back a lot of memories, and don't memories often make us sad and wistful? Sometimes we have wonderful memories, and those make us wistful for a long ago time, when life itself seemed easier.
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I watched MEET JOHN DOE again. I wish I had time to put my feelings into words. It could be argued this is The Great American Movie. It's about hope, spirituality, poverty and politics. Fellowship, mistrust, humility and redemption. This story is almost Biblical. Merry Christmas, Mr. Capra!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Red, I like Meet John Doe as a Christmas movie more than It's a Wonderful Life.

As WIlliam Frawley would growl:

Silver Bells, Silver Bells,

Let's put some dough in the kitty,

Silver Bells, Silver Bells,

Or Santa will slip you a mickey.
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Merry Christmas from Christy's Kitchen!
I wish that you all have safe travels, lots of hugs, and much joy with families and friends this holiday season!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

If I have time tomorrow, I'm going to make some of that, only with dried cranberries. thanks Christy!
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Yum, Jackie!
Merry Christmas Goodies!
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Blessings on all of you. This has been a difficult year for me and each of you has, and many without knowing it, have made it better just by being here and doing this little thing together.

This place has been more than a place to chat about movies. Some of you have become good friends that have allowed me to share life and have been supportive of me. I am thankful.

Others have been wonderful just by writing reviews and comments that give me a chance to find something new to learn. You make me think and you make me laugh.

This is a good place.

Merry Christmas. I hope all of you have a great year in 2014.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
fxreyman

Post by fxreyman »

Wishing you all a very merry Christmas and hopefully a much better new year 2014!

I posted the following photo over on the TCM Message Boards a few days ago and I think it captures the feeling I had when I was a child and hope to have again someday. The photo is of my family at Christmas in 1967. I was seven years old and the folks in that picture all of whom are gone except myself and my brother are as dear to me now as they were then.
Xmas 1967.jpg
Xmas 1967.jpg (30.67 KiB) Viewed 4563 times
In the upper left was my Uncle Ivan, next to him (just below) was my Auntee (Aunt Virginia married to Uncle Wilson) next to her (to her right) was my Nana (my grandmother, Virginia's sister and my mother's mom), below Nana is me. I am looking up to my mother who looks like she just busted a gut and is about to lose the eggnog in her cup! To her left is my brother. And behind my brother is my Uncle Wilson. Uncle Ivan is his brother. My father took the photo. My mother must have been reacting to a joke my Uncle Wilson must have just told.

Uncle Wilson was really a father figure to me when I was growing up. My father who at this time was taking the photo, was missing in action quite a lot back then. The only times I saw him were on holidays and my birthday. He and my mother had been separated for several years when this photo had been taken.

So I spent quite a bit of time with my Uncle Wilson. He and my Auntee owned the Tuckahoe Motel in Afton Virginia from the early 1950's until about 1972. The Tuckahoe was located on US Route 250 about four miles east of Rockfish Gap just below the Shenandoah National Park. This is the wind gap that separates the Skyline Drive from The Blue Ridge Parkway. The gap is located about 18 miles west of Charlottesville Virginia, the city where I was born.
Tuckahoe.jpg
Tuckahoe.jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
Anyhow, I spent every summer vacation between my sixth year and my tenth year at the motel. My uncle and aunt were the owners and I spent a great deal of time with him as he worked the motel, fixed things, operated the swimming pool, and I got to drive around with him in his 1950's era Jeep with it's spare tire mounted on the front hood, ala a land rover. On the weekends you could find us driving in the back woods looking for just the right spot to drop a line into water searching for that perfect rainbow trout. Or you'd find us in Waynesboro at Newt's gas station and bar. Yes, I said bar! It was an older building with two gas pumps under a portico and inside was a U shaped bar with a pin ball machine I'd play with every Saturday. I would sit and eat great tasting hot dogs and drink Dr. Peppers as Uncle Wilson would sit there and talk tall tales with Newt.

Great place to spend my summers. Not only to spend the time with my uncle and aunt but I also got to meet some very interesting people who stayed at the motel. One week in particular saw the arrival of a caravan of old cars from the early twenties. One of the cars was a Stutz Bearcat. They were kind enough to let me take a ride in that car. Unbelievable as I remember back. On some weekends, my mother, grandmother (Nana) and my brother would come up and we would have a cook out, right next to the building. I often wondered what the guests thought as we sat there eating dogs, burgers and corn on the cob. All of this was before Interstate 64 was built in 1971 and basically put their motel out of business. The new road had an interchange built right at the top of Rockfish Gap. That meant more business for the Howard Johnsons' motor lodge already located up there and then they built a brand new Holiday Inn as well that basically put the final nail in the coffin of the Tuckahoe.

But hey great memories. Anyhow, All of you I hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!!

Rey
Professional Tourist

Post by Professional Tourist »

I must have been naughty this year -- Santa has brought me a root canal (my first) for christmas.
Christmas dinner is soup and mashed potatoes, and I'm glad to have it.
My favorite album of christmas music as a child was Goodyear's 1965 release of "Great Songs of Christmas."
I still have the old vinyl disc but can no longer play it. Tonight I found someone who has it as an mp3 download.
If anyone else might like to listen: click here.
Merry christmas, and if anyone would like to watch midnight mass at St. Patrick's Cathedral,
it should stream live at this page: http://www.saintpatrickscathedral.org/live