Classical Music

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: Classical Music

Post by laffite »

Dargo wrote: February 9th, 2023, 3:02 am
laffite wrote: February 9th, 2023, 2:33 am
I was thinking just these last few minutes what piece would I choose to hear if I had a similar experience. What comes immediately to mind is the Hungarian Rhapsody #2 by Liszt, an incredibly well known and beloved piece. Bugs Bunny played it in a famous cartoon. I should know the title of that cartoon but I don't. I go back to good ole college days, I was in the library where they had sound proof booths. This guy was in there playing that. I pressed my face against the glass with my eyes bugging out and with my ears down to my jowl, like Dopey. Or was if Sleepy. All of them then. He let me in and played the whole thing. Hands and fingers all over the place while I was hovering over keys, I mean that piece is an A-1 premier crowd pleaser. A rare occurrence as the one you had.

And now, Dargo, please give a listen here to Miss Tiffany Poon (great name!) who honors us with this piece by Liszt. If you are short of time, go directly to 4:50 (but better from the beginning, that really sets up the fireworks!) and listen to the very end. I listened very carefully and I did not hear one wrong note. Enjoy the razzle-dazzle,

:)

Yep, Tiffany does well there, alright.

And btw, the version Bugs performs of this is titled "Rhapsody Rabbit" (1946), and you might also remember the version Tom the cat did just the following year in the MGM cartoon short titled "The Cat Concerto". Here's a side-by-side comparison of them...

Good one, Dargo! A clever idea. Liszt may be turning over in his grave though. Was that a Tom and Jerry? Poor Jerry, that was a tough role. I love it when Bugs takes a break with that carrot. I think that's when Liszt woke up. Sacrilegious, amid my wonderful music! I hear him moan from below. Too bad Franz, we live in a high tech age, we do anything we want with the classics. Be happy that someone still listens. Or a few anyway. Thanks Dargo, a great follow up. :smilie_happy_thumbup:
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Vaughan WIlliams Symphony No.5. Andre Previn and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.

Quite lyrical and in a similar feel of the Thomas Tallis Fantasia, with which it is paired on this recording.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
laffite

Post by laffite »

Thanks Chris, I haven't heard Thomas Tallis theme in a long time. Such an extraordinary and brilliantly constructed piece. And moving as all get out.
laffite

Post by laffite »

TCM TRIBUTE
A couple of days ago TCM disappeared
Yes, they are in Archive Heaven but let's listen to some Outro Music anyway
[Catch the "I'll be Seeing You" motif [of course, the song came later]).

laffite

Post by laffite »

kingrat wrote: February 18th, 2023, 11:19 pm
laffite wrote: February 4th, 2023, 5:21 pm
txfilmfan wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 8:33 am
[ ... ]

Something similar is used in A Clockwork Orange, with the ultraviolent protagonist's (Alex) love of classical music, and Beethoven in particular, contrasting with his and his gang's acts of violence. Kubrick can't credit for this seeming juxtaposition, though, as it's in the original source novel as well.
This is like looking through the wrong end of a pair of binoculars. I don't know ACO and will never see it. Still, interesting comment from what I can make of it.

O Beethoven, you have been rankly abused !!

:tickedoff:
If you don't think you would like A Clockwork Orange, you are so right to avoid it. I walked out after fifteen or twenty minutes.

As for songs from Kismet, "Baubles, Bangles, and Beads" and "And This Is My Beloved" are also well known. All of the songs in Kismet are worth hearing. I have sung "Was I Wazir?"
Then maybe you would love Borodin. I have mentioned this somewhere here and perhaps it's known well enough already that all the music from Kismet is taken from his works.

I think you should sing it on utube and post it for us.

I love "Rhymes Have I." Great lyrics.

laffite

Post by laffite »

Deleted : To be posted later
Last edited by laffite on February 19th, 2023, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
laffite

Post by laffite »

kingrat wrote: February 19th, 2023, 6:52 pm Yes, I love Borodin. But Wright & Forrest often took a mere theme from Borodin and made something much bigger from it.
Seems bigger anyway, but Broadway is by nature more extravagant and frilly and more exciting for many than listening to that stuffy old symphony orchestra :smiley_fool:
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

kingrat wrote: February 19th, 2023, 6:52 pm Yes, I love Borodin. But Wright & Forrest often took a mere theme from Borodin and made something much bigger from it.
I worked on a project with Wright and Forrest. Lovely gentlemen. They lived in the Carnegie House on West 57th Street (the other end of the block that also houses Carnegie Hall) and in Miami. Anya is their adaptation of the Anastasia story, using the music of Rachmaninoff. It starred Lillian Gish and Constance Towers, but was not a success, although the score is lovely. Wright and Forrest also adapted Grieg to create Song of Norway. But Kismet, using Borodin's music, was their biggest success, possibly because there was a newspaper strike in NYC when it opened. When the strike ended and the reviews were published, they were not all favorable.

Earlier in their career, they wrote for many Hollywood movies.
Last edited by Swithin on February 19th, 2023, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allhallowsday

Post by Allhallowsday »

RAVEL piano is my favorite, generally only played by VLADO PERLEMUTER here is a late performance by the master (missteps and all)

laffite

Post by laffite »

Allhallowsday wrote: February 19th, 2023, 10:45 pm RAVEL piano is my favorite, generally only played by VLADO PERLEMUTER here is a late performance by the master (missteps and all)

For whatever missteps there were, it comes across quite fine. This Ravel piano piece is on a higher plain for me.. It is so intricate that it does not get "memorized" by the mind, anticipation of what comes next is not readily forthcoming, all of which gives the piece legs. All music is contemplative to some degree, this more so on average, methinks. Thanks for posting this.

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/07/arts ... at-98.html
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: February 19th, 2023, 7:05 pm
Seems bigger anyway, but Broadway is by nature more extravagant and frilly and more exciting for many than listening to that stuffy old symphony orchestra :smiley_fool:
Borodin won a Tony for it - 67 years after he died.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

The pianist Grant Johannesen (1921-2005) was a great friend of mine. He knew and worked with Francis Poulenc. Here's Grant's performance of Poulenc's " Suite française."

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: February 20th, 2023, 9:50 am The pianist Grant Johannesen (1921-2005) was a great friend of mine. He knew and worked with Francis Poulenc. Here's Grant's performance of Poulenc's " Suite française."

Have loved Poulenc's music since I was in high school. I played piano for a fellow student's flute solo at S&E contest, and she was performing Poulenc's Sonata for Flute & Piano. For the contest, we just played the first movement (there is a strict time limit). It was my introduction to Poulenc.