Classical Music

Chit-chat, current events
laffite

Re: Classical Music

Post by laffite »

Sepiatone wrote: February 27th, 2023, 12:26 pm No idea what Sgt. Preston's music is. As for mine, you mean you never watched,,,

Sepiatone
Maybe once. I was 11 in 1955, the first year. Isn't that to old for the Captain?
Sabine Azema in Sunday in the Country
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

Yeah, I suppose so. And no younger siblings who might have been perched at the tube when his show came on?

Sepiatone
laffite

Post by laffite »

Sepiatone wrote: February 28th, 2023, 12:33 pm Yeah, I suppose so. And no younger siblings who might have been perched at the tube when his show came on?

Sepiatone
A sis was 6. But no, I'm sure she wasn't a Capt-K fan.

She always wanted to be ... a dancer

laffite

Post by laffite »

laffite

Post by laffite »

Pavarotti is the best here IMO. (in the first link below) He is in his prime. He holds the note for about 17 seconds, which is amazing. Some tenors performing in real-time operas hold it no more three to five seconds. The note would not extended to that length in a real performance of the opera. Even if he did it perfect like here, it would be considered hammy and some might call it in bad taste. Perhaps it would he could do it an recital for novelty.

Andre Bocelli holds it for 17.5 seconds but he "cheats." The note actually starts with a lower note and then tenor swoops to high note. Bocelli does not do that. He sings the lower note alright, stops, and then attacks the higher note. That is a no-no if we are going count seconds. There is a noticeable wobble in his voice during the note. This happens to most all opera singers as they age. Some get away with if for awhile, especially legendary singers, as patrons are still eager to attend their performances.

I have never heard of Antoine but not bad, wow!

The note is a B-flat, which is three notes down from a high-C. The B-flat is the highest tenor note that appears in a standard opera. Every tenor must have absolute control of this note. Most operas have them (but not many B-flats per operas that include them).

Bonus
Nine High C's in one aria.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIv_0Kj9Gfw
laffite

Post by laffite »

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I have been running through my old LP set of Szell and the Cleveland Orchestra's Complete Beethoven Symphonies. It was produced just after he died in 1970 but I think the recordings start in at least the early 60's. For a 50+ year old LP set they still sound fine. (Got a new turntable in the fall and am going through my old stuff.)

Next set is Szell with Leon Fleisher and the Beethoven Piano Concertos.

I have an old Bolero recording that has the original orchestral version (Bernsteinn /Orchestra National de France) on one side and a Moog Synthesizer version (Andrew Kazdin and Thomas Shepherd) on the other. A 1980 recording. Don't know that I ever listened to side 2. CBS must have thought that would be the thing then.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

movieman1957 wrote: March 14th, 2023, 8:34 pm
I have an old Bolero recording that has the original orchestral version (Bernsteinn /Orchestra National de France) on one side and a Moog Synthesizer version (Andrew Kazdin and Thomas Shepherd) on the other. A 1980 recording. Don't know that I ever listened to side 2. CBS must have thought that would be the thing then.
That was a fad from the 70s and early 80s, wasn't it? Tomita, Switch-on Bach & Wendy Carlos, etc...
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

txfilmfan wrote: March 15th, 2023, 9:18 am
movieman1957 wrote: March 14th, 2023, 8:34 pm
That was a fad from the 70s and early 80s, wasn't it? Tomita, Switch-on Bach & Wendy Carlos, etc...
And the equally (in)famous Hooked On Classics. Having the beloved works of the past set to a mechanized disco beat was tough to take but I remember it was wildly popular and sold a ton of records. (My wife has one. It lives in the basement.)
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
laffite

Post by laffite »

I can't seem to find the 'original' Switch-On Bach, released in the 60s. The opening number was Partita Nol. 3 and I wanted to post it here. If I recall, the pieces were not frilly, they were straightforward honoring the source material, not like today where synthesizer practitioners seem to want to add something of their own and murdering the music in the process. Yeah, I know, I'm old and smack of fuddy-duddyism, but some of this stuff online is horrible. Envision the near icon image of a person intently listening to Bach. The listening becomes contemplation. Partita #3 is often a good piece for that. One idiot started out fine and then inexplicably in my view initiated some chords of his own in the background. The chords were not loud but loud enough to break the spell. Bach dies still another death with these stupids. :tickedoff:
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

laffite wrote: March 15th, 2023, 3:52 pm I can't seem to find the 'original' Switch-On Bach, released in the 60s. The opening number was Partita Nol. 3 and I wanted to post it here. If I recall, the pieces were not frilly, they were straightforward honoring the source material, not like today where synthesizer practitioners seem to want to add something of their own and murdering the music in the process. Yeah, I know, I'm old and smack of fuddy-duddyism, but some of this stuff online is horrible. Envision the near icon image of a person intently listening to Bach. The listening becomes contemplation. Partita #3 is often a good piece for that. One idiot started out fine and then inexplicably in my view initiated some chords of his own in the background. The chords were not loud but loud enough to break the spell. Bach dies still another death with these stupids. :tickedoff:
According to Carlos' Wikipedia page, all of those albums are out of print and aren't available on streaming music sites or available for download.
laffite

Post by laffite »

txfilmfan wrote: March 15th, 2023, 6:49 pm
laffite wrote: March 15th, 2023, 3:52 pm I can't seem to find the 'original' Switch-On Bach, released in the 60s. The opening number was Partita Nol. 3 and I wanted to post it here. If I recall, the pieces were not frilly, they were straightforward honoring the source material, not like today where synthesizer practitioners seem to want to add something of their own and murdering the music in the process. Yeah, I know, I'm old and smack of fuddy-duddyism, but some of this stuff online is horrible. Envision the near icon image of a person intently listening to Bach. The listening becomes contemplation. Partita #3 is often a good piece for that. One idiot started out fine and then inexplicably in my view initiated some chords of his own in the background. The chords were not loud but loud enough to break the spell. Bach dies still another death with these stupids. :tickedoff:
According to Carlos' Wikipedia page, all of those albums are out of print and aren't available on streaming music sites or available for download.
SAD..
...but thanks for the info.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

I understand that frustration as in other forums I attempted to find a clip of the entire, or ANY part of Bach's Brandenburg Concerto #3 from SWITCHED ON BACH 2000 by Wendy Carlos. I still have my old vinyl from '68, but it does sound every bit it's age.

But that Brandenburg sounds good no matter the instruments it's played on. ;)

laffite

Post by laffite »

Excellent! I was thrilled with this, mesmerized at first. Paradoxically, the homogeneity of the sound of guitars began to grate a little. It's too long. Ideally, cutting down to under three minutes would make it a lovely little miniature masterpiece of performance. The guitars are nice though and it is difficult not to think of the harpsichord.

That '68 Switched on Bach is of value. Another poster here said that it was out of print and there are no recording of it. It's dead to the world. I loved it. The first side, if I remember correctly, was the Partita No. 3. The music is direct and without all the frills. The synth recordings today annoy me no end.

Anyway, great post. You always make great contributions here.
Sepiatone

Post by Sepiatone »

laffite wrote: March 19th, 2023, 12:16 pm Excellent! I was thrilled with this, mesmerized at first. Paradoxically, the homogeneity of the sound of guitars began to grate a little. It's too long. Ideally, cutting down to under three minutes would make it a lovely little miniature masterpiece of performance. The guitars are nice though and it is difficult not to think of the harpsichord.

That '68 Switched on Bach is of value. Another poster here said that it was out of print and there are no recording of it. It's dead to the world. I loved it. The first side, if I remember correctly, was the Partita No. 3. The music is direct and without all the frills. The synth recordings today annoy me no end.

Anyway, great post. You always make great contributions here.
Thanks for that And by your synth recordings today "annoy" you, I'm wondering what span "today" covers. Maybe or maybe not the '70's, when this man was busy releasing his synthesized versions...?

On the softer side;

Sepiatone