Theater

Chit-chat, current events
Swithin

Re: Theater

Post by Swithin »

I worked with Peter Shaffer a few times and liked him very much. I loved Lettice and Lovage, which I saw in London, shortly after it opened. A change was made to the final scene at some point. In the early performances, the two women go out into London with the intent to bomb the buildings they don't like. That was before 9/11, and was changed for a variety of reasons.

A play of Peter's I would like to see on stage is The Royal Hunt of the Sun. Peter's description of the hoped for rising of Atahualpa from the dead is incredibly moving. The movie does not do justice to the play.

Plays of Peter's that I've seen on stage:

Lettuce and Lovage
Amadeus (revival)
The Gift of the Gorgon
Yonadab
Equus

kingrat

Post by kingrat »

Swithin, I saw the road show company of THE ROYAL HUNT OF THE SUN after its Broadway run and was blown away by it.Have also seen a college production which was not bad, but not up to the mark.
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

Late 1970's Los Angeles, I saw Ron Moody backstage in his underwear at a production of OLIVER. He wasn't very friendly.
HoldenIsHere

Post by HoldenIsHere »

Bronxgirl48 wrote: April 19th, 2024, 9:19 pm Late 1970's Los Angeles, I saw Ron Moody backstage in his underwear at a production of OLIVER. He wasn't very friendly.
Bronxgirl, this is probably my favorite SSO post this week!
I literally laughed out loud when I read it.
"Reviewing The Situation" indeed . . .

This reminds me of a personal experience when I played Puck in a college production of A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM.
Some high school girls somehow made their way backstage after a matinee performance to the dressing room and caught me completely naked with nothing nearby for me to grab to cover myself.
That particularly performance was specifically for high school groups who traveled by bus..
Those girls got an unadvertised "free show" . . .

My costume as Puck was rather revealing any way. If I can find a photo, I will try to post it.
I was 19 at the time (a sophomore). The guy who played Oberon (a senior who was the "star" of the theater department) groped me during a performance!
The guy who played Lysander was very hot.
Misty water color memories . . .
Bronxgirl48

Post by Bronxgirl48 »

LOL, Holden.

Cheerio and come back soon!