Bill Sherman and Dominic Fallacaro, & Juliet
John Clancy, Kimberly Akimbo
Jason Howland, Shucked
Charlie Rosen & Bryan Carter, Some Like It Hot
Daryl Waters & Sam Davis, New York, New York
txfilmfan

Re: Theater

Post by txfilmfan »

Allow me to venture into theater history for a bit...

I was listening to Sirius XM's Broadway channel (as I often do while on the computer) and upon hearing a song from a later production of On the Town (the original production did not have a cast album, unfortunately), it prompted me to look at the original production's listing in IBDB. What I never knew was that the original Miss Turnstiles was a Japanese-American ballet dancer named Sono Osato. Her father was an immigrant from Japan. I've looked at that cast listing several times before (it includes the then little-known powerhouse of Nancy Walker), but this detail has escaped my attention until now.

The show revolves around US sailors on a 24-hour leave in New York and was originally staged during the last months of WWII. What's astounding is that this casting of a Japanese-American was made during this era, in a show about military men on leave during the war, while Japanese-Americans were in held captive in camps scattered around the country. The US Government finally rescinded the internment order in December 1944, the same month the show opened, effective January 1945. It would take several months for the dismantling of the camps to occur. Ms. Osato's father was arrested and sent from his home in Omaha to live under military confinement in Chicago. He was unable to see her premiere, but was released in time to see her later in the spring of 1945.

Given the voracity of anti-Japanese sentiment (and propaganda) in the country during the war, it must have been a tense time for the production when it opened.

The story of the casting of the show is a bit of Broadway history that's been lost, I believe. In her autobiography, she stated "It was amazing to me that at the height of a world war fought over the vital political, moral and racial issues, a Broadway musical should feature, and have audiences unquestionably accept, a half-Japanese as an all-American girl." Ms. Osato passed away in December 2018, age 99.

History is full of contradictions and small stories like this one get glossed over as time marches on. I'm glad I was able to stumble across it.

This article provides a good analysis of the backstory on the casting of the show.

https://www.neh.gov/humanities/2015/jan ... turnstiles
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

There is a recording of On the Town with many of the original cast members, but I think it was made years later. I particularly like Nancy Walker's rendition of Come Up to My Place. I've worked with Betty and Adolph, two of the sweetest, kindest people in the theater, and incredible talents. Sometimes it's forgotten that, in addition to their considerable Broadway output, they wrote the screenplays for Auntie Mame and many other great films. The song New York, New York from On the Town is one of the great songs. I consider the Kander/Ebb song with the same title to be trash, a violent song about unpleasant people.

Here's Nancy Walker and Cris Alexander, from the original Broadway cast:

LostHorizons

Post by LostHorizons »

For On the Town, my classical music book recommends Michael Tilson Thomas’ performance from 1991 iirc. The entire thing was up on YouTube. It’s very good.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: August 6th, 2023, 3:26 am There is a recording of On the Town with many of the original cast members, but I think it was made years later. I particularly like Nancy Walker's rendition of Come Up to My Place. I've worked with Betty and Adolph, two of the sweetest, kindest people in the theater, and incredible talents. Sometimes it's forgotten that, in addition to their considerable Broadway output, they wrote the screenplays for Auntie Mame and many other great films. The song New York, New York from On the Town is one of the great songs. I consider the Kander/Ebb song with the same title to be trash, a violent song about unpleasant people.

Here's Nancy Walker and Cris Alexander, from the original Broadway cast:

Yes, it was a recording made with some of the original cast, in 1960, with Bernstein conducting.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I'm in London and recently saw two plays/musicals related to popular movies. Brokeback Mountain is actually a play with music; The Third Man is a musical. One can argue ad infinitum as to whether these shows were based on the movies or the original source material or both. But without question it was the popularity of the movies that inspired them.

They both met with mediocre reviews, in the case of The Third Man, really bad reviews. But I liked them both. The Third Man was recommended to me by friends, and I agree it was a compelling, inventive evening in the theater.

txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: August 7th, 2023, 12:04 pm I'm in London and recently saw two plays/musicals related to popular movies. Brokeback Mountain is actually a play with music; The Third Man is a musical. One can argue ad infinitum as to whether these shows were based on the movies or the original source material or both. But without question it was the popularity of the movies that inspired them.

They both met with mediocre reviews, in the case of The Third Man, really bad reviews. But I liked them both. The Third Man was recommended to me by friends, and I agree it was a compelling, inventive evening in the theater.

I'll be in London next week - am interested in checking these out.

Thanks!
BagelOnAPlate

Post by BagelOnAPlate »

Swithin wrote: August 7th, 2023, 12:04 pm I'm in London and recently saw two plays/musicals related to popular movies. Brokeback Mountain is actually a play with music; The Third Man is a musical. One can argue ad infinitum as to whether these shows were based on the movies or the original source material or both. But without question it was the popularity of the movies that inspired them.

I hope Brokeback Mountain comes to Broadway with the same cast as the West End production.

Mike Faist played Riff in Steven Spielberg's movie adaptation of West Sise Story and was fantastic!

Swithin

Post by Swithin »

txfilmfan wrote: August 7th, 2023, 5:05 pm

Thanks!
I'll give you my other reviews, in this thread, for what they're worth, at the end of the week. I saw Patriots tonight, really excellent (and timely). Putin is a character.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

kingrat wrote: August 6th, 2023, 11:50 am Frank Sinatra agreed to do the movie version of On the Town only because of the opportunity to sing "Lonely Town." One day he heard "That's a wrap" and was told that filming was over. He objected that they hadn't shot "Lonely Town." "Oh, we cut that."

Also cut was my favorite song in the show, "Some Other Time." Bittersweet perfection.
Interesting story. Since they typically record the musical numbers before filming, this would imply there was a recording of Sinatra singing "Lonely Town" for the film. Otherwise, he would have known long before filming wrapped that the number had been cut. I know he recorded it in the 1950s (at a much slower tempo than typically taken on stage).
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

Swithin wrote: August 7th, 2023, 6:30 pm

Thanks!
I'll give you my other reviews, in this thread, for what they're worth, at the end of the week. I saw Patriots tonight, really excellent (and timely). Putin is a character.
Best thing I've seen: Dear England at the National Theatre, with Joseph Fiennes. And Grenfell, also at the National, is a harrowing play about the terrible tragedy of a few years ago.
txfilmfan

Post by txfilmfan »

Swithin wrote: August 10th, 2023, 2:08 am

Thanks!
Best thing I've seen: Dear England at the National Theatre, with Joseph Fiennes. And Grenfell, also at the National, is a harrowing play about the terrible tragedy of a few years ago.
Looks like I'll miss Dear England as it's closing tomorrow and transfers in October to the Prince Edward.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

txfilmfan wrote: August 10th, 2023, 11:16 am
Swithin wrote: August 10th, 2023, 2:08 am

Looks like I'll miss Dear England as it's closing tomorrow and transfers in October to the Prince Edward.
La Cage aux Folles at the Open Air is great fun. Hope you’re as lucky with the weather as I’ve been.
Swithin

Post by Swithin »

I'm in London at the moment. Partly for work, but lots of time to see friends and go to the theater. Saw a brilliant Sondheim show last night: Old Friends, with Bernadette Peters, Lea Salonga, and many great Brits. Basically a musical tribute, presented by Cameron Mackintosh.

The ladies in the cast singing "Broadway Baby," first solo, then all together, were among the many brilliant segments.