Post by Intrepid37 »

Intrepid37

Re: Building a Small Cabin Simple & Cheaply

Post by Intrepid37 »

dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

Watched first part - reminded me of building my shop many, many years ago. 😎

Wondering if you posted this because you're going to build one? If so, I'll watch. 🍿 I spend a LOT of time on a tractor forum where someone is always building something, including me. 😆
Intrepid37

Post by Intrepid37 »

dianedebuda wrote: June 11th, 2023, 1:21 pm Watched first part - reminded me of building my shop many, many years ago. 😎

Wondering if you posted this because you're going to build one? If so, I'll watch. 🍿 I spend a LOT of time on a tractor forum where someone is always building something, including me. 😆
It's just something I came across while surfing and as I got watching it, it occurred to me that others here might enjoy the step by step illustration of the build. I didn't realize as I was watching part 1 that it would be necessary to go on to all the other parts, but I'd already posted part 1 here - so I decided to watch the whole thing and post the other parts as it went along.

I liked watching it very much - and I'm hopeful that a few others here also enjoyed it - but I will not be personally building a cabin, even though I'd very much like to. Those people look so clean and healthy and alive doing it.
dianedebuda

Post by dianedebuda »

You didn't get magnetically drawn in when the guy said something like humans are meant to build their own homes and not leave it to the pros? 😆 That's just a small cabin; wonder if they built their own house ... personally? 🤭
Masha

Post by Masha »

I have not watched the videos but I do take exception to the caption of: "... anyone can build & afford"

We built a platform for washer and dryer and a 2x2 stud wall behind it to hide the plumbing and electrical and added a door between that area and the garage. Total cost so far for this one little project has been: $684.76 plus sales tax. We anticipate at least another fifty-eight dollars for paint to finish the area. And then we simply must do something about the floor.

Garden sheds with no plumbing, electrical, heating or insulation are often a thousand dollars for materials alone.

No construction is particularly 'affordable' at the present time.
Avatar: Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya
Dargo

Post by Dargo »

Well, the way I figure it, just as long as anyone who decides to live in one these little remote off-the-grid things doesn't then begin to get all stir-crazy and get the idea of writing some kind of manifesto encompassing a defense of their violent antisocial behavior, it's no skin off my nose. ;)

(...this thought most likely being prompted by the recently reported death of one Ted "Unabomber" Kaczynski)