TCM Message Boards

Chit-chat, current events
Lzcutter
Administrator

Post by Lzcutter »

Chris,

Kyle had a great explanation for this phenom about a week ago at TCM City in response to Brownfan.

The gist of the explanation was that sometimes, it seems, that posts that are in response to a post that TCM WebAdmin deems inappropriate will often get deleted when the offending posts get deleted to try to keep some sort of continuity.

Also, the TCM boards have been incredibly buggy since the upgrade last week and it's possible that your post got deleted by accident.

I've seen both explanations quite a bit this weekend by posters.
Lynn in Lake Balboa

"Film is history. With every foot of film lost, we lose a link to our culture, to the world around us, to each other and to ourselves."

"For me, John Wayne has only become more impressive over time." Marty Scorsese

movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Lynn:

I saw Kyle's explanation and thought that would be the case. However, the offending post is still there. I really don't mind that mine is gone as much as the awful one is still there.

Maybe I'll check back and see if they clear up the bad one.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
sugarpuss

Post by sugarpuss »

Nope, the offending one is still there.

I'm really, really PO'ed that the jerks have come into the Challenge thread. And I'm even more PO'ed that TPTB deleted yours, Chris and left the rude ones up! It's as though they're encouraging the bad behavior. It's okay to offend posters who have been on the boards for years and who contribute postive content, I guess. The TPTB would rather have the lunatics run the asylum. I usually don't get all steamed up over internet things, but this really boils my potatoes.

Seriously, I'm over on the TCM boards a lot now because I'm running the Challenge, but after this, I think I'm through. The ignore button is too little, too late. And them deleting your post (which I saw! There was nothing wrong with it!) is the straw that broke this camels back.

Man, I'm angry. I'm just angry that they're trying to ruin the challenge thread. I actually look at the new posts with trepidation. This was supposed to be fun and it's just disintegrated into another mess. I'm kind of bummed out.
"Some of the best parts of life are frivolous." - Arthur Kennedy in A Summer Place
-----
The Roadshow Version: A Modern Take on Classic Movies
Mr. Arkadin

Post by Mr. Arkadin »

Well, I just read through the whole thread. It's very hard to believe that someone can use that type of language and not have the posts pulled. I don't really know that guy, but I've never found him contributing anything of interest to a thread so I don't pay much attention to him.

I know that the ignore feature is supposed to remove posts by certain people you do not wish to see, but since they are still a part of the board their messages are still technically there and other people are reading them. If someone is being a jerk to me I want to know it. I might not do anything about it (it's just a message board anyway), but at least I know what's going on and who's saying what.

The biggest reason that a lot of these people do this stuff is jealousy. There is one guy (who I shall not name) that is the spelling sheriff of the forum. Many times when someone makes a post that threatens his superiority he acts this way. I always get a big laugh out of him. If the only thing he can find wrong with my posts are the spelling, I must be doing alright. :wink:
Vecchiolarry

Post by Vecchiolarry »

Hi,

I think this Lawson character is a juvenile. He/she writes in a very sophmoric way. Trying to be funny but in a wounding sort of way.

He/she once suggested that "A Streecar Named Desire" be remade & directed by Charo and have Jane Russell as Stella.
Although stupid, it is kind of funny. I'd like to see that movie actually!!

But, I agree some of his/her posts have been hurtful...... Wounding!!

Larry
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

Seems many strange things are happening. I've received a couple of unusual PM's dealing with posters afraid that the "end" is near.

I really don't see that happening for a great while. As long as folks are talking about movies and DVD's and DVD collections, it is too good for business.

Sorry about that incendiary Lawson, Chris. But sometimes if we don't stick up for our own, we ourselves get trampled.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
Erebus

Post by Erebus »

Am I correct in thinking that though it has been a week since the implementation of the TCM board "upgrade" and the delivery of the ostensibly valuable "ignore button", the TCM admin and technical people have not posted a single message acknowledging the mess they've made? Nothing saying even as little as "technical difficulties, please bear with us"?

If it is correct that no such message has been delivered, it is difficult to avoid drawing the conclusion that the admin and tech people have minimal awareness of, involvement in, and commitment to the board culture that they have so thoroughly disrupted. Were it not that I believe the board discussions and interest help to generate profit for TCM and the industry as a whole, I would be tempted to think that TCM actually has a perverse and active interest in destroying its own discussion forums. Apparently the only option is to conclude that they are benignly detached and inept.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I believe there was one message from TCMAdmin in one of the "General Issues" threads, asking us to inform them what, besides a number of issues listed in his post, was continuing to be a problem. But that was last week and there hasn't been a peep since.

Trying to log on and post is still a most trying endeavor, however, maybe it's an exercise in restraint for little old many-poster me. :wink:
Bogie

Post by Bogie »

Until the TCM boards move in the 21st century (with a board software similar to this) I won't be participating much there. It does seem like the admins don't give a damn about what goes on.

You know it's the same thing with Cartoon Network. There's a big site (I forget the name) with tons of forums for CN and it's programing and cartoons in general. They have a most lively and very vibrant community. I don't even think CN has an official forum at ALL.

Maybe TCM should just put the message board to bed and implement one when they're really committed to it.
markfp

Post by markfp »

I was trying to answer a question for somebody on the TCM board, thursday night, and I'll bet I had to try 20 times before it went through. This is really crazy.

While I'm certainly beginning to feel at home here, I'd wouldn't want to give up TCM completely. I'd hate to think that the troublemakers and trolls won.
MissGoddess

Post by MissGoddess »

I haven't been able to log on to TCM at all this morning. It's getting worse every day.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

I just wandered over, and according to the main page, there are 454 guests online, and ZERO members. So I guess nobody is being allowed to log in.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

MissGoddess wrote:I haven't been able to log on to TCM at all this morning. It's getting worse every day.
I got on and posted two things (one of which was for you) but it wasn't easy. It took me three times to get into the "challenge vote" thread. Sometimes when I'd change screens it would make me log-in again,

What a mess.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."