WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
JackFavell

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by JackFavell »

I always liked that one too, Red... I haven't seen it in ages.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

This afternoon I watched "Made for Each Other" (1939) directed by John Cromwell.

It's hard to classify this film, as it teeters on the edge between comedy and soap opera. ("Penny Serenade" came to my mind as the closest reference point, but "Made for Each Other" has more humor than "Penny Serenade.") Jimmy Stewart and Carole Lombard are newlyweds who experience a rotten first year of marriage. Both of the two leads were very good, although I prefer Lombard in her more screwball roles.

I was fascinated by the performance of Lucille Watson as Stewart's mom. In part this was because her response to Stewart's marriage was to go into shock and then bad mouth Lombard through the rest of the film. (Which is much like how my mom responded to my engagement and marriage.) I can't remember so negative a mother figure outside of a Hitchcock film in a regular Hollywood movie.

I liked this film up to the point when the baby became ill. I noticed "Made for Each Other" was, like "Intermezzo," a Selznick film. Was "Put the child in jeopard" the standard plot device for Selznick films in 1939? Here, the crisis played like a deus ex machina to wrap up everything in a nice little package, which irked me.

Another film that came to mind while watching "Made for Each Other" was "the Marrying Kind." I much prefer the Cukor film, which is very funny yet plunges everyone into real heartbreak as well.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

kingrat wrote:Let's talk about MY REPUTATION--the movie that is (1946, but made in 1943, dir. Curtis Bernhardt). I found this mostly enjoyable, with Barbara Stanwyck as a widow trying to establish a new life, Lucile Watson as the mother who's still wearing mourning after 25 years, and Eve Arden as the sensible friend....
It's funny that you mention this film Brother Rat...b'cuz its airing made me decide to try to put my thoughts together about Bette & Barbara. A friend was visiting me to get some computer lessons, and I kept looking over his shoulder at the movie. (Had I known the movie was coming on, I'd have reschedule my friend's visit...but too late now). It actually was at the point that I heard Stanwyck tell her overbearing mother not to speak to her in a certain manner because she was no longer a child. I looked up again thinking, is that Gladys Cooper? This sounds like "Now Voyager." Here we have again a woman with an overbearing mother being forced to lead a hermetically sealed life. Bette went through that." P.S., no wonder Scotty Beckett looked so young. The movie is from three years before.
Last edited by CineMaven on May 7th, 2012, 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"WHIRLPOOL" ( 1934 )

”I’ll be living this week the rest of my life.”

I watched "WHIRLPOOL" Sunday afternoon in my effort to continue exploring JEAN ARTHUR, someone beneath my radar for far too long.

I’m bringing up the rear in more ways than one, but I thought, before I weigh in with my two cents, (worth one cent on the open market, and not a plug nickel over at TCM City), I’d better re-trace the path of any previous discussion that might have been had. I found this from last year in the GENERAL CHAT > WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY? forum/thread.
[u][color=#008000]MOVIEMAN1957[/color][/u] wrote:"Whirlpool" (1934) is an odd little picture of father who while spending 20 years in jail frees up wife and soon-to-be-born daughter by faking his death. Much later daughter, Jean Arthur, finds him and they spend a fine time getting to know each other until his made up life catches up with him.

Plot line is a little hard to swallow but it is worth watching just to watch Jean with her dad (Jack Holt.) All else is standard fare. - ( 9/24/11 - 12:39PM )
[u][color=#0040BF]JACK FAVELL[/color][/u] wrote:Movieman Chris, I really loved the ending of Whirlpool - I caught that part on Jack Holt's day, but luckily got it recorded too. I was confused because I thought Jean was having an affair with Jack, not that he was her father. I thought that both of them were first rate, and liked the movie a lot - I didn't think it was that far-fetched, but maybe I missed something. Now to go back and find out! - ( 9/25/11 - 11:02AM )
[u][color=#008000]MOVIEMAN1957[/color][/u] wrote:Let me know what you think after you watch it all. You have an interesting take on their relationship because that is what everyone else thought.

SPOILERS

I was conflicted about the ending. On the one hand it seems almost admirable that he would kill somebody to maintain his/their secret but that is also what bothers me about it. I think even Jean would be conflicted about knowing her father murdered someone. On the other hand it finally made her mother's marriage legal. - ( 9/25/11 - 3:49PM )
[u][color=#0040BF]JACK FAVELL[/color][/u] wrote:I'll try to watch tomorrow morning. Now I'm more curious than ever! - ( 9/25/11 - 5:23PM )
And then there’s the (timely) reminder a couple of months later from the MOVIES AND FEATURES > COMING UP ON TCM forum & thread:
[u][color=#0040BF]JACK FAVELL[/color][/u] wrote:Also on Sunday, at 12:30 in the afternoon, ET, is a little gem called Whirlpool(1934), starring Jack Holt and the up and coming Jean Arthur. I just loved this one the last time it was on, so I'll be recording it this time.

Jack Holt has never been better than in this brisk film. He and Arthur are very touching together, as father and daughter who've only just met. Holt is exceptional as Buck Rankin, an ex-con who has spent twenty years in prison, and now is high up in the underworld. Arthur is the reporter on the other side of the law, who discovers their relationship through an old photograph in her mother's purse, and comes to love the man. Both give sensitive performances. - ( 5/4/12 - 7:20PM )
I thought "WHIRLPOOL” was a swell movie. I loved the whirlpool of plot machinations swirling around and around these proceedings, all b’cuz a girl wants to make up for the twenty years she was without her Dad. I thought the film was logical and well-plotted out. What a wild Oedipal little ride “Whirlpool” is. No wait, not Oedipal. The actual alternate titles that swirled around my little noggin’ were “PRE-CODE BECOMES ELECTRA” or “ELECTRA GONE WILD.”

Oh what a tangled web we weave...

Jean Arthur’s such a cute little package. And sincere, and believable. She has an independent streak here as a reporter. Yes, she covers women stories but when given the chance to look into this hot shot promoter’s story, she resourcefully goes for it. I liked that! Boyfriend or not, she went for the story. Again may I say, that when I watch classic films, I throw out much of my disbelief or modern day psychology and judgments; just want you to see my frame of reference of how I watch movies. The film's made in 1934, and I put myself in the mind of the audience of 1934. Unless there's something totally egregious in the plot like pigs flying, I just sit back and go with it. This is the philosophy I use when I watch movies and nine and a half times out of ten, I have a pretty good time with them.

And this is the case this time as well.

Now to be honest, at first, it did give me pause to how easily our young Lois Lane found her dad and pieced it all together: a ring, a photograph...BINGO! I know movie plots back then have folks fall in love at the drop of a hat... I figure it’s just the way things were done in the waaay back days, and I acccept it and move on. But one eyebrow did raise at the ease of their re-connection. I think of “A Bill of Divorcement” or “Daughters Courageous” and how girls react to that “first man” in their lives coming back after an absence. But I dropped my eyebrow back into normal position and went on. That ease was nothing compared to the ripples of concentric triangles their reunion caused, which spread out over everything like sauce on a nice juicy steak. And there is where the meat lay:

BUCK > THE JUDGE > HELEN - ( Buck’s resurrection will end Helen’s second marriage )

SANDY > BOB > BUCK - ( Boyfriend Bob thinks Sandy’s cheating on him and/or holding out on a story about racketeer Buck )

THELMA > SANDY > BUCK ( Girlfriend Thelma thinks Buck is two-timing her with Sandy and a woman scorned does NOBODY any good! )

BUCK > THE SHYSTER > HELEN/THE JUDGE - ( Buck won’t testify for the shyster lawyer of an old colleague b’cuz he doesn’t want to ruin Helen & her new life )

I liked how the film showed the passage of time using the montage of (stock footage) events and with the changing license plates...economical. I’m still not crazy about Donald Woods; he seems so wooden to me. Look at Ward Bond, in a small role as cellmate to Jack Holt. Woof! And I love Allen Jenkins. I think TCM needs to tuck Allen Jenkins under their Summer Under the Stars (SUTS) umbrella. He plays the good pal to Holt, through tick and tin, and he’s got to be one of the best supporting character actors in the history of movies; even all the way up to “Pillow Talk” as the elevator operator. A master really. He was funny and heartfelt in “Whirlpool” just the way you’d want a friend to be. I have to say I was quite taken with Jack Holt. I love these big burly guys (George Bancroft, Bickford, MacLane, deCorsia ). His deep voice roiled in that massive chest of his and he sounded as natural as Walter Huston. I might have slightly mistrusted him in the beginning. I thought he was going to take advantage of the small town girl and beat it outta there, leaving her with a "bundle of joy." I was wrong about him. He was a part of the underworld, but had some ethics. But it is Jean who carries the picture, doesn’t she. It's all hinging on her. Her independence... her longing...her soaking up his love as if his love would later give her strength. Or comfort. Nothing that a future husband can give a girl. (Not if your future husband is Donald Woods. Yeeesh! :P )

Yes, if you came in in the middle of the picture, you could wonder if this girl and older man were having an affair. But if you catch it from the beginning you know it's a father and daughter; albeit in a very close relationship, indeed. But YOU KNOW the way they do in movies back then; everything is very very heightened, but innocent. (If I could get a hug out of my Dad today, I'd be lucky). I did wonder if reporter Sandy, (Jean Arthur) was really being fair to her mother. I understood the logic in not “telling”...causing a scandal. And she did say her mother was happy, uhmmm, safe and secure. I know she’s really trying to protect her mother’s new life; the status quo. But is the daughter selfishly soaking up ALL of her father’s love? And because of not being forthright, did she cause more damage...

I must admit, I had a lump in my throat at the way the proceedings ended, (those reporters at the door were dreadful - I briefly thought of "Five Star Final" and the havoc they were about to wreak on some innocent lives). I thought Buck paid his debt to society already. Guess he’s now paying a debt to the love he had for his wife. I found Holt tough and tender, sweet. MovieMan writes: ” I think even Jean would be conflicted about knowing her father murdered someone.” But I don’t think so. I think she so badly wanted her father’s love that she’d take it on those terms too.

They say you can’t miss what you never had. But now look at the heavy burden she carries at the end of it all. Even Allen Jenkins' look to Sandy on the staircase was kind of an indictment, when they were all running from the reporters; leaving Buck alone. Poor Buck all alone. I liked him. I enjoyed the movie though saddened by the melancholy. The movie doesn’t leave us with a gay happy ending. I don’t think Sandy will ever truly be happy again.

My favorite photo of Jean Arthur

feaito

Post by feaito »

I saw two films on the WE:

The all-star "Star Spangled Rhythm" (1943) lead by Betty Hutton, Eddie Bracken and Victor Moore. Eddie is a sailor on leave during WWII, Vic Moore is his father, an ex-early Western (from the early silents day) star who's working as guard in Paramount studios and whom Eddie believes is an executive in charge of production...Betty is Eddie's sweetheart, who works as an operator at Paramount....there are a many cameos: Bob Hope, Cecil B. De Mille, Bing Crosby, Preston Sturges, Fred Mac Murray, Ray Milland, etc....and some musical numbers, most notably "A Sweater, a Sarong and a Peek-a-Boo-Bang" with Paulette Goddard, Dorothy Lamour and Veronica Lake. Mildly amusing.

"You Belong to Me" (1941) starring Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda. This film has lukewarm reviews so I did not expect much, but I was let down anyway, because I found the script too weak and the proceedings rather silly, most notably the ending. Stany and Fonda, especially the former as the seasoned pro she was, do what they can with what they have, but the material is inferior. Fonda is the super-jealous millionaire husband of doctor Stanwyck, who doesn't want to abandon her career. By far the weakest of their 3 pairings. My fave film of them is not "The Lady Eve" (1941), which is excellent, but "The Mad Miss Manton" (1938) an absolute delight and a great discovery in which Stany is terrific!!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm not familiar with this WHIRLPOOL. I know the Preminger film. For a second I even thought of WHIPSAW, simply because of the W! I like Ms. Arthur. This sounds like an interesting and complex story. Come to think of it, It sounds like one Preminger would have liked!

my two cents, (worth one cent on the open market, and not a plug nickel over at TCM City)

I'm not going to say a word. Not one word!
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

I rewatched The Gorgeous Hussy (1936, C. Brown) at the WE. This costumer has a high-class cast: Joan Crawford, Melvyn Douglas, Robert Taylor, James Stewart, Lionel Barrymore, Beulah Bondi and more... But, unfortunately, it seems as if Clarence Brown is filming the proceedings without must flair. The life story of Peggy O'Neal (J. Crawford) and her friendship with President Jackson (L. Barrymore) offers ample opportunity for Joan to display some crazy Adrian costumes. But, Joan looks too modern to be completely credible as a 1830s lady. What is left is a great array of gorgeous leading men: Bob Taylor sporting curly hair, Jimmy Stewart still quite boyish and Melvyn Douglas with white hair. The film has all the high production values of MGM top films, but it's quite lifeless. Fun only because of the cast!
feaito

Post by feaito »

I pretty much had that same idea of TGH Christine, which I have never seen. But I'll do due to the star power involved...
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

[u][color=#008000]KINGRAT[/color][/u] wrote:Let's talk about MY REPUTATION--the movie that is (1946, but made in 1943, dir. Curtis Bernhardt). I found this mostly enjoyable, with Barbara Stanwyck as a widow trying to establish a new life, Lucile Watson as the mother who's still wearing mourning after 25 years, and Eve Arden as the sensible friend.
I'd like to talk with you about it.

[u][color=#0000FF]FEAITO[/color][/u] wrote:...The all-star "Star Spangled Rhythm" (1943) lead by Betty Hutton, Eddie Bracken and Victor Moore....and some musical numbers, most notably "A Sweater, a Sarong and a Peek-a-Boo-Bang" with Paulette Goddard, Dorothy Lamour and Veronica Lake. Mildly amusing.
Where are you seeing these? I haven't seen this movie in forever!!! I always liked the big variety show films when the stars played themselves. I liked that number ("A Sweater...") and I liked Bette Davis cutting a rug singing "They're Either Too Young Or Too Old" and getting thrown around by a Lindy Hopper!!! (HA!) But I forgot which films that was from. Can you imagine today's stars appearing together like that en masse? Naaaah!
"You Belong to Me" (1941) starring Barbara Stanwyck and Henry Fonda. This film has lukewarm reviews so I did not expect much, but I was let down anyway, because I found the script too weak and the proceedings rather silly, most notably the ending...
I like the idea of Stanwyck doing "Walk On the Wild Side" with Jane Fonda, b'cuz Stany knew her as a baby.

[u][color=#4000BF]RED RIVER[/color][/u] wrote:"I'm not familiar with this WHIRLPOOL. I know the Preminger film. For a second I even thought of WHIPSAW, simply because of the W! I like Ms. Arthur. This sounds like an interesting and complex story. Come to think of it, It sounds like one Preminger would have liked!
I'm not sure if Preminger would have liked it. I'm not even sure if YOU would like it, (I can't predict what folks like), but if you like Jean Arthur, you oughta give it a shot, River Man. Tell us what you think.
[u][color=#4000BF]RED RIVER[/color][/u] wrote:
[u][color=#800000]CINE MAVEN[/color][/u] wrote:...my two cents, (worth one cent on the open market, and not a plug nickel over at TCM City)

I'm not going to say a word. Not one word!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

feaito

Post by feaito »

Hi Theresa,

"Star Spangled Rhythm" (1943) is available on a Double Feature Bob Hope DVD (released by Universal) along with "My Favorite Blonde" (1942). Indeed the most interesting aspect of it is watching all the stars en masse. The number with Bette Davis is featured in "Thank Your Lucky Stars" (1943) released by Warner Brothers (never seen it though).

As for Jane Fonda and Stany, I saw "Walk on the Wild Side" years ago and I liked it very much.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Thxx 4 the info. I'm kind of looking to record these on tv. Buying DVDs is my last resort. I'm still stuck in the 20th century (circa 1994 & VHS). You've gotta see Bette Davis getting tossed around like a rag doll in that dance.

feaito

Post by feaito »

CineMaven wrote:Thxx 4 the info. I'm kind of looking to record these on tv. Buying DVDs is my last resort. I'm still stuck in the 20th century (circa 1994 & VHS). You've gotta see Bette Davis getting tossed around like a rag doll in that dance.
I'll do Theresa...I thought that she only sang in that Musical review.

As for DVDs and disks in general I'm an avid buyer, especially because I live in a country without TCM USA, Fox Channel and Netflix here does not carry many classics (neither does Blockbuster). But I do rent classic films (they have lots released in Spain) from some specialized stores and the Hope films I have seen have all been rented.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Thxx 4 the info. I'm kind of looking to record these on tv. Buying DVDs is my last resort. I'm still stuck in the 20th century (circa 1994 & VHS). You've gotta see Bette Davis getting tossed around like a rag doll in that dance.

No kidding! I heard Bette tell Dick Cavett that the soldier threw her around so hard he injured her back, and she was still having pain all those years later!