WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by feaito »

kingme wrote:
feaito wrote:Over this weekend I have watched:

"Fantasia" (1940), perhaps a long feature and all the sequences not equally awesome for some, but for me it's flawless due to all the work, craftsmanship, effort and love put into this project. I never cease to be amazed when watching it and the Blu Ray edition is perfect. Arguably Disney's finest and most unique film. A visual delight and a one-of-a-kind experience.
This is my favorite Disney Animated Movie of ALL time ... feaito!
I am glad Kingme!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Feo...Alison, I wish I could see "BLACK WIDOW" myself. I think I saw it many many ( many ) years ago, but don't remember any details. Your reviews intrigue me. As did this YouTube clip:

[youtube][/youtube]

Beautiful music by Morricone. And that super-saturated color is lush!
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Oh the colour is lovely. Gene Tierney didn't have enough to do apart from look lovely and I liked Ginger's performance, I didn't think it was over done, I felt that was the character, a rather flamboyant and bitchy diva. It was really nice to see George Raft playing someone on the right side of the law, he had authority and a really healthy tan, which you can see in Teresa's post. I'm thinking there was more Italian in him than German. It's worth putting your feet up and watching Theresa, it's not going to win any acting awards but it's fun to watch.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
charliechaplinfan

I had myself a real treat, a full 90 minutes biopic on Errol Flynn entitled The Adventures of Errol Flynn, so well put together with some big name contributors along with his daughter Deidre who has inherited her father's looks. If only all biographies were made to this calibre.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Speaking of Martita Hunt, I finally watched THE FAN (1949) today and was just blown away by this version.

Starring Madeleine Carroll as the mysterious adventuress Mrs. Erlynne, and Jeanne Crain at the height of her loveliness as Lady Windermere. George Sanders plays a heck of a good old man in the prologue, I think because there was something of the curmudgeon in him in the first place, he's excellent as the elderly Lord Darlington. Richard Greene is a less stodgy Arthur Windermere than I've ever seen, and of course, Martita was on hand for another deliciously gossipy performance. If I were making a movie with her, I'd insist her scenes be cut from the final film for fear of her stealing the show. :D

Madeleine Carroll was absolutely brilliant as Mrs. Erlynne, she holds the entire movie together, and looks stunning. She is the thread that runs through the whole thing, and I found her charming as can be. The movie boasts incredibly good production values, that make you want to fall into this film, and also some great age makeup. Everything about it was top notch, and I'll most certainly be going back to watch again and again.
feaito

Post by feaito »

I am so happy that you enjoyed it Wendy. It's indeed a great discovery! And to think that it got two stars on Maltin's guide and a bad reputation in terms of critiques....How unfair. This is why I only trust my instincts when it comes to a film.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Seriously, Fer?? I cannot believe this film is rated so low. That seems like a mistake was made somewhere. I couldn't find a single fault with it! I mean, you start with an Oscar Wilde story, script by Dorothy Parker and it just gets better from there... faultless acting, directing, pacing and a perfect setting, really, what could they have possibly found wrong with it?
charliechaplinfan

A Bullet For Joey is a reteaming of Edward G Robinson and George Raft, together again after a rather stormy relationship on the set of Manpower. A noirish thriller, Edward G is the cop and Raft is the underworld figure brought back to Canada after being exiled to Lisbon, his wish is to get back home to the States, he rounds up his gang and goes after a Dr Macklin played by Joe Dolenz, Peter Van Eyck is the paymaster behind the crime. The fun is the reteaming of the two studio tough guys although they only get to act together towards the end, the story twists and turns and has Audrey Totter as the femme fatal. A good noir storyline that doesn't lag at all.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"Black Widow" "The Fan"...where are you guys seeing these films? I can't find 'em on YouTube.

feaito

Post by feaito »

JackFavell wrote:Seriously, Fer?? I cannot believe this film is rated so low. That seems like a mistake was made somewhere. I couldn't find a single fault with it! I mean, you start with an Oscar Wilde story, script by Dorothy Parker and it just gets better from there... faultless acting, directing, pacing and a perfect setting, really, what could they have possibly found wrong with it?
In effect, and Preminger created a very good movie using the plot of Wilde's comedy of manners, but transforming it into something different, but no because of that, any worse.

The same can apply to Lubitsch's "Design for Living" (1933) which was very much criticized in its day and afterwards because of not "respecting" Coward's play, when what Lubitsch did was only to use it as a basis for his creation.
feaito

Post by feaito »

CineMaven wrote:"Black Widow" "The Fan"...where are you guys seeing these films? I can't find 'em on YouTube.
In my case, I rented them at a place which imports a lot of DVDs released in Spain, which aren't available in the USA. Odd, isn't it? American films available in Spain but not in their country of origin.
charliechaplinfan

CineMaven wrote:"Black Widow" "The Fan"...where are you guys seeing these films? I can't find 'em on YouTube.
Black Widow is from a mutual friend :wink:
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

Black Widow is available in the U.S. on DVD as part of the Fox Film Noir series:

The Fan was put out as a region 2 DVD from BFI and includes the 1916 version of Lady Windermere's Fan.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Well Brother Rat, you've just given me four hunky reasons to watch Jeff Chandler's last movie:

"Bronco", "Laredo" or "Lawman", "Sugarfoot" ("Hey Landlord!!) and yes, the silver fox...Jeff Chandler.

...And thank you Michigan, Charlie and Moira for tips on where to get the dvds.