WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
feaito

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by feaito »

I watched the ending of Pygmalion and was watching the beginning of the beautiful print that TCM aired of "Berkeley Square" (1933) -much, much better than the bootleg available on youtube- and the connection broke off. :cry:
MichiganJ

Post by MichiganJ »

I saw The Beasts of the Southern Wild, and there's no doubt in my mind that Quvenzhané Wallis will be the youngest person ever nominated for best actress. All of the performances--mostly, I believe, from first-time actors--are terrific, and the direction, by first-time director Benh Zeitlin, is also pretty great. (He just needs to take it a bit easy with the hand-held camera.)

Seen through the eyes of six-year old Hushpuppy, she, her ill father, and the other inhabitants of the small community located outside of the levee, somewhere in the south (aka: New Orleans), are determined to stay in their squalid surroundings, even after they are flooded by a huge storm. Because this is a tale told by a six-year old, there is a bit of wonderful magic, and the film is also filled with allegories that will have you thinking long after seeing it.

So far, the best movie I've seen this year.
"Let's be independent together." Dr. Hermey DDS
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

That movie sounds really good, Mich! I am a big fan of anything told from the point of view of children.

Alison, 1st place belongs to

My Man Godfrey,
2nd - Pygmalion,
3rd is The Miracle of Morgan's Creek,
4th is Harold and Maude.

5th is up for grabs, with Curse of the Cat People, Gun Crazy, The Best Years of Our Lives, The Third Man and A Star is Born(1937) all vying and moving into that spot at different times. Any of the top 9 can switch up into the top 4 at a moments notice (sometimes all it takes is to watch one of them again), but generally, those movies stay pretty solidly at the top of my list.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

my avatar is just for you, Jacks!!!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Ooh, thanks, Nan! how lovely to see my dear Godfrey every time I come here. You'll have to post more! :D
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

isn't that a marvelous photo? I think it is more an artist's rendition, but however it was done....I love it.

Didn't realize that was your favorite movie..it is one of my top ones, also. Haven't really given much thought as to what goes where, it seems whenever I see one I love, it jumps to first place...until the next one comes along. :roll: :roll: :roll: I know, just a fickle woman! :lol: :lol:

I have a 'knitting' tee shirt that says, "I am not easily distracted...Oh look, YARN!" Kind of sums up my whole personality :oops: :oops:
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I wasn't all that taken with My Man Godfrey first time around, I revisited it last year when we had the screwball contest, seeing as so many members loved it and I rated it far higher after the second viewing, I haven't watched The Miracle of Morgan's Creek or Harold and Maude yet. No Charles Boyer :shock: I don't think I could put my favourite films in order, I could put my favourite stars in a collective order, even with them it depends on my mood but the same 10 or so always remain at the top.

Last night I watched Tarnished Angels [spoilers ahead] a second Douglas Sirk movie starring Robert Stack, Dorothy Malone and Rock Hudson. I guess mose ladies would go for Rock Hudson but his role was as an onlooker, Robert Stack's character was far more interesting although he doesn;t have much to say much is conveyed. Of course I thought his flyer was a chauvanist, an awful man who used his wife and his son whilst selfishly devoting himself to flying but he goes too far by asking his wife to go to another man to get him another plane to fly after his first plane burns up. Jack Carson plays his mechanic Jiggs who seems to hang around in part for Stack's lovely wife played by Dorothy Malone and how she shines here as the woman completely in love with her man but trapped because he doesn't love or appreciate her. Rock Hudson is the journalist who allows them to board in his rooms and develops a connection to Dorothy/Laverne one what she rejects when her husband dies in the borrowed plane. My only critcism is that it was so obvious what was going to happen to Stack's character. Very different to Written on the Wind starring these three and Lauren Bacall.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I knew you were going to mention Boyer! The Earrings of Madame de... would probably come in 10th.

I love every single moment of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, kingrat, I think it's purposefully kitschy. I watched it again too, and it went way up in my estimation. Perhaps Elliot Reid was the perfect choice? He's certainly no distraction from Marilyn and Jane. Personally, I find Tommy Noonan strangely attractive in a Wally Cox way in this movie. Also love David Wayne in anything. :D
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I love Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, it's such a fun film.

I knew Boyer had to be in there somewhere. I'd have to have an Ophuls movie in my list but whether it be Madame De or Letter From an Unknown Woman I'm not sure.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

When I saw "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" all I could think was what a sleazy movie. I'm usually not so prudish but I thought it was cheapened the ladies. They seemed desperate but that is just my take on it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Chris: I liked it! (Lina Lamont voice) :D

For me, Alison, Madame De... would be hands down above the other Ophuls. Probably because of Boyer mainly, but all the actors in it have supreme control over the frail nuances of romantic despair. The story is more mature, and seems to me to be just a bit more intricate. But I love all the Ophuls movies I've seen so far.

I wanted to write earlier that watching Berkeley Square with SOTM Leslie Howard was a real treat! Thanks to RO and TCM for making this one available to see. I enjoyed it very much, thought that the story was really different, showing how awful the reality of time travel might be. Howard was so melancholy as the man who thought he was born in the wrong time (modern day), only to find he can't deal with living in the past he has chosen. Heather Angel was excellent as Howard's beloved Helen, so far, she has never disappointed me in the few movies I've seen with her. Does anyone know why her career petered out? I found the story engrossing and did shed tears at the end from the power of the two leads performances.

I do wish it had been directed with more style and pace. The mise en scene could have been incredible but I thought that Frank Lloyd's direction was just adequate here. It's a shame, he did a couple other movies that were very good, even magical, but this one just bothered me a tad. You have all of Hollywood's magic at your disposal, and yet there was no real magic for me at the moment when Howard goes back in time. Just a shot of the door opening into the house from the outside during modern times, then a cut to a shot of the door opening slowly on the inside seemingly by itself into 1784, and that's it. Now you are in the past, and there is nothing interesting about it. A few blurred dissolves were all Lloyd had up his sleeve as a director?
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I know that I am alone in my thought on that movie.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Chris, you may be looking at GPB with today's sensibility, rather than stepping back in time?? By today's awareness, it is, I agree, an appalling movie...but by 1950's standards, just a hoot of a movie. But you know, this is why we come here to share our opinions and views...Bless the SSO!!!!! :lol:
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Hear hear! :D

I can certainly see the sleaze factor, Chris. It must be my natural element! :D