WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Lucky Vassall

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Lucky Vassall »

RedRiver wrote:Did you watch it Saturday? The print I saw did have the color shots.
It was a week earlier here. Maybe the local channel just cut the color to save a buck!
[size=85]AVATAR: Billy DeWolfe as Mrs. Murgatroid, “Blue Skies” (1946)

[b]“My ancestors came over on the Mayflower.”
“You’re lucky. Now they have immigration laws."[/b]
[i]Mae West, The Heat’s On” (1943[/i])

[b]:–)—[/b]
Pinoc-U-no(se)[/size]
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Cool! The library has a video they ordered for me. And I don't remember why I requested it! It's The Kim Novak Collection. There's something I wanted to see. But what is it? This is like Christmas morning!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Well if it's Kim Novak, make sure you post your thoughts about what you see.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

My thoughts about Ms. Novak are not fit to post in mixed company!
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Masha wrote:
RedRiver wrote:My thoughts about Ms. Novak are not fit to post in mixed company!
I must wonder if you mean by that all company which is mixed or if your thoughts might be appropriate to those who are stirred but not shaken.
Can you be both stirred and shaken?
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

You can be on your 30th wedding anniversary.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

The Novak film I had looked forward to seeing was MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, the Paddy Chayefsky drama discussed here a few weeks ago. I believe The Bronxgirl recommended it. I was a little disappointed. Neurotic and unpleasant, but lacking the quirky charm of THE BACHELOR PARTY and MARTY. I found it more miserable than dramatic. Great cast, though. The wonderful Fredric March was never better. Lee Grant appears in a minor role. Martin Balsam plays the only sensible person in the story!

Also on Kim's collection was JEANNE EAGELS. For all its soap and suds, I liked this melodrama better than the Chayefsky film. It's over-wrought and over-played, but it certainly is dramatic! I expected less from this one. Maybe that's why I was satisfied!
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

I thought "Middle of the Night" was a good dramatic turn for Kim Novak. It was a bit uncomfortable for me to watch Fredric March enamored of young Novak. But it showed me older folks still have feelings too.

I don't know if I was shaken and/or stirred...but I liked the movie. If you really want to get sudsy, see Novak in "Strangers When We Meet."

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

uncomfortable for me to watch Fredric March enamored of young Novak

Lord help me! How many times have I traveled that road?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Winding up my week with Ms. Novak (we all have our fantasies), is a PICNIC. This particular outing is based on William Inge's sad, sensitive play; and I must lose the girl to virile young William Holden. But along the way, we meet the standard frail, neurotic supporting characters, from the pen of a man who depicted small town America as well as it's ever been done. Hyper Rosalind Russell and thirsty Arthur O'Connell outshine the handsome leads at every turn. This is a good filming of an excellent play.
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Today I watched "The Night Porter" (1974).

I started out really liking the movie, but it turned out to have the pace of a glacier. If it could have been 20 minutes shorter, it would have packed more of a punch.

I really liked Dirk Bogarde here. The way he went from being so fastidiously neat to a wreck of a man was impressive.

And Charlotte Rampling was terrific. She made me believe in the contradictions of her character. Her career has been an odd one, but she always brings a charge to whatever project she is in.

Still, the movie could have "moved."
Rita Hayworth

Post by Rita Hayworth »

Yesterday, I watched three movies on TCM, they are ...

The Pride of the Yankees - 1942 Film centered on Lou Gehrig
The Three Musketeers - 1948 Film starring Gene Kelly and Lana Turner - It was a fun movie to watch!

Recorded off my DVR
The Glenn Miller Story - 1954 Movie that I just finished watching off of my DVR and its a great Musical that I dearly enjoyed seeing again ...
Lomm
Administrator

Post by Lomm »

Rita Hayworth wrote:Yesterday, I watched three movies on TCM, they are ...

The Pride of the Yankees - 1942 Film centered on Lou Gehrig
The Three Musketeers - 1948 Film starring Gene Kelly and Lana Turner - It was a fun movie to watch!

Recorded off my DVR
The Glenn Miller Story - 1954 Movie that I just finished watching off of my DVR and its a great Musical that I dearly enjoyed seeing again ...
I know it's cheesy and all, but I just love Pride of the Yankees. It's one of my favorites. I haven't seen the Three Musketeers, and have added it to my Netflix queue. Glenn Miller story is of course great. Good choices! :)