WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Birdy

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Birdy »

Moraldo, Thanks for the warning. That might be all I need. I shouldn't embarrass myself like this but...what the hey. I even cried at Hannah Montana. Don't even ask what I was doing there - every kid has the right to choose their own birthday movie so there I sat.
B
Moraldo Rubini

Post by Moraldo Rubini »

Birdy wrote:Moraldo, Thanks for the warning. That might be all I need. I shouldn't embarrass myself like this but...what the hey. I even cried at Hannah Montana. Don't even ask what I was doing there - every kid has the right to choose their own birthday movie so there I sat.
Hmmmm... that could be a new thread: "What's your birthday movie?" When I hit a big round number a couple of years ago, I considered celebrating by renting a local movie palace and showing a favorite flick for my friends. I'd planned on filling the snack bar with cupcakes and other homemade treats and filling the house to watch... let's see... what would I choose? At the time, I'd just about settled on A Matter of Life and Death. Instead, I went down to Hollywood and got a grand tour by Lynn! That was the best choice of all. (Thanks again, Lynn!)
Ann Harding

Post by Ann Harding »

Yesterday I watched Bunny Lake is Missing (1964) by Otto Preminger with Laurence Olivier, Carole Lynley and Keir Dullea.
A young American woman, shortly arrived in London, Ann Lake (C. Lynley) realises her small daughter Bunny is missing from her new school. Superintendent Newhouse (L. Oliver) is put in charge of the matter. Nobody seems to have seen the child...
The beginning of the film was extremely promising: shot on locations in London (my old haunt!) and with a beautiful array of wonderful British character actors (Martita Hunt, Finlay Currie, Anna Massey, Noël Coward). It started like The Lady Vanishes; Bunny has disappeared but apart from her mother nobody had seen her. The mother's brother was a rather strange character. Laurence Olivier had a plum of a part as the relaxed Spt Newhouse. Alas, after this great beginning, the story started to disintegrate into some kind of 'supermarket psychology' that made it quite silly.... I have always prefered Preminger's earlier films from the 40s rather than his later overlong features. This is no exception. The film is not overlong but suffers from a bad script. Keir Dullea is dull and Carole Lynley a bit wooden. On the plus side, I would mention Coward's appearance as the dodgy landlord and Martita Hunt's crazy old lady. They manage to fill the screen with their wonderful personalities. Disappointing....
Last edited by Ann Harding on June 2nd, 2009, 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ollie

Post by Ollie »

This too is a good description of the film's 'lifespan' during my viewings of it. I saw this when it was in theaters, and years later on TV a few times. But after a few years, I could never remember what happened. Because I probably repressed the memories of a dull, doesn't-live-up-to-first-promises execution of the film. Each time I've watched it, I get my hopes built up by the opening and by the Preminger Promise (/Threat?), only to be boringly disappointed. Not a bad film at all, but this is one of those High-Promise-Low-Delivery-Equals-NonMemorable films.
ChiO

Post by ChiO »

On the other hand, BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING, along with ANGEL FACE, THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM and ANATOMY OF A MURDER, is a Preminger movie that I enjoy watching repeatedly. A tad long? Maybe. Pop psychology? Sure, why not? And marvelously lurid in grand Preminger style.
Everyday people...that's what's wrong with the world. -- Morgan Morgan
I love movies. But don't get me wrong. I hate Hollywood. -- Orson Welles
Movies can only go forward in spite of the motion picture industry. -- Orson Welles
feaito

Post by feaito »

On Monday I watched "I Wake Up Screaming" 1941 and I liked it. Victor Mature's performance impressed me favorably -he's much better than Elliott Reid in the Remake- and in all I felt that the film is superior than the 1953 Remake "Vicki", which I had seen first. My wife who watched both films with me, said that the 1941 version is a "rounder" version of the story, better done and scripted. She said to me that Cregar's character is much more menacing, mysterious and that he conveyed the obsession and insanity of the character, whereas Richard Boone merely played a mean, villainous type. I must admit though that I'm partial to Jeanne Crain and Jean Peters, who appeal much more to me than Betty Grable and Carole Landis. I think Jean Peters is one of the most beautiful brunettes that ever appeared on film and that Jeanne Crain is another cutie. In that department I prefer Vicki. I also think that they are better actresses.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I watched Mauvaise Graine or Bad Seed one of Billy Wilder's and Danielle Darrieux's first films. It's a gem of a movie, a young man about Paris has his car taken off him by his father and goes out into the world to find a job, before he finds that job he finds a car with keys and without owners, he takes the car and before long finds himself in with a bunch of car thieves. The exploits of the gang cover the majority of the film, it reminds me a little of some of the later Ealing comedies about criminal gangs. This is a more serious film but just as endearing. Danielle Darrieux has a superb part as a young girl who attracts the attention of men with cars, spends the afternoon in a cafes with them after she has noted down their registration numbers and then telephoned the gang to pick up the car. Thanks for the recommendation Christine.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
srowley75

Post by srowley75 »

I saw Up last night. It was the first film I'd seen in a theater in a while. (On a side note, I was unaware of to what extent commercials [and stupid commercials at that] have invaded theaters.)

Anyway, back to the film. Up only confirmed (again) for me that Pixar has risen miles above any other studio by both entertaining audiences with clever animation and crafting meaningful stories infused with humor and heart that appeal to young and old alike. Others might have come within spitting distance of the former but when it comes to the latter, they're light years away - and any animated DreamWorks or Disney movie held up for comparison would illustrate what I'm talking about.

What continues to impress me about Pixar's entire crew (among many things) is their obvious familiarity with the cinematic art - not just the technical aspects, but also its history. As already mentioned, there's an implicit appreciation of silent filmmaking, most notably within a montage at the beginning of the film. Beyond that aspect, Up also presents a pastiche of adventure movie history, with references covert and overt to everything from The Lost World, King Kong, The Most Dangerous Game, Frank Buck, and the swashbuckling battles of Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone to Apocalypse Now and Jurassic Park.

The imaginative plot and many references to adventures past and present lay the groundwork to the film's central theme. Since elaboration would compel me to post spoilers, I'll resist the urge, but I will say that beyond the obvious point the writers were trying to make, there's an unintentional nod toward the divide between Pixar's brand of entertainment and their competition. In art as in life, man can't live by adrenaline rushes, cutesiness and wisecracks alone. If you're not aiming to touch the soul (however you define that term) on a level beyond the superficial, you're not really being brave. The characters, however fancifully conceived each of them may be, still resonate with the viewer (I even found myself identifying with the friendly dog). These aren't just avatars for comedians to trot out a few minutes of their trademark schtick.

In case it's not obvious by now, this one's very highly recommended. I plan to go again at least once.

P. S. Was anyone else intrigued by the use of "Habanera" from Carmen at the beginning of the film? I must admit that prior to seeing the film, I wasn't aware of what the lyrics meant, but after hearing the music used in the film, I felt I had to look them up. Here's an English translation - very interesting when you consider the movie's characters:

Love is a rebellious bird
that nobody can tame,
and you call him quite in vain
if it suits him not to come.
Nothing helps, neither threat nor prayer.
One man talks well, the other keeps silent;
it's the other one that I prefer.
He never said anything, but I like his looks.
Love! Love! Love! Love!

Love is a gypsy's child,
it has never, ever, recognized the law;
if you love me not, then I love you;
if I love you, you'd best beware!
if you love me not,
but if I love you,
if you love me not,
but if I love you,

The bird you thought you had caught
beat its wings and flew away ...
love stays away, you wait and wait;
when least expected, there it is!
All around you, swift, swift,
it comes, goes, then it returns ...
you think you hold it fast, it flees
you think you're free, it holds you fast.
Love! Love! Love! Love!

Love is a gypsy child,
it has never, ever, known law;
charliechaplinfan

I had a 1937 afternoon, first I watched the Jacques Feyder film Knight Without Armour starring Marlene Dietrich and Robert Donat. I was unsure about their teaming, I wasn't sure that Robert Donat had enough chemistry for Marlene. He certainly did, in fact I'd go as far as to say that that is the best teaming with Marlene I've seen. The film is starts in pre revolutionary Russia and carries it's story through the revolution and into the war between the White Army and Red Army. It has shades of the later Dr Zhivago, has lots of romantic atomoshpere. It was a lovely movie to watch.

Then I watch Club Des Femmes. I looked on the imdb before I watched this so I knew it had been banned in America. The film is set in a club for single females in Paris where young women can stay cheaply and safely and no men are allowed, at all. Dannielle Darrieux and Josette Day were amongst the boarders. The plot features pregnancy out of wedlock, white slavery, murder and lesbianism. Despite all these it doesn't emcompase all these subjects for the sake of making a movie out of them, it really has a compelling story running through it accompanied by good acting. By todays standards it's quite tame.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Birdy

Post by Birdy »

Alison - Woo - what an afternoon! I'll have to look for Club Des Femmes, not sure where I can get it but it sounds great. I remember we had a chat about Danielle a while back but I've yet to find any of the recommends.

scrowley - thanks so much for posting those lyrics - I'm more intrigued than ever.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

This Memorial Weekend I decided to have a Garbo Weekend. I watched Love, The Single Standard, Wild Orchids, The Kiss, Susan Lenox: Her Fall and Rise, Grand Hotel, The Painted Veil, Anna Karenina, and Conquest. I deliberately avoided Camille, which I have seen at least 20 times. And, I also didn't watch Ninotchka or Two Faced Woman because those films mark her decline. It was a GREAT weekend, and exhilerated me to get back to work when the dream was over. I never tire of her. She is like a shot in the arm to me, and although I did honor my veteran father over the weekend, days of war movies held no interest for me. Tonight I am watching The Torrent, which is her first major Hollywood film.
charliechaplinfan

Wow that is quite a sitting. Charlie Chaplin usually gives me a big lift, or Gene Kelly, Buster Keaton, Cary Grant, Clark Gable they all work too but not as good as Charlie.

Do you know if Susan Lenox Her Rise and Fall has ever been commercially available?
vallo

Post by vallo »

I just watched 1962’s “Convicts 4” from the Warner Archives
Based on a true story of John Resko a death row inmate sentenced to the electric chair for a robbery and murder of the store clerk. I remembered this film from New York’s Million dollar movie in the 60’s. as a kid The cast is top notch with Ben Gazzara as Resko. The film is Co-written by Resko and Director Millard Kaufmann. The main reason I brought was because some of the support players Vincent Price, Rod Steiger, Stuart Whitmore, Ray Walston and the over the top Timothy Carey “A Mr. ChiO favorite” :mrgreen:
(these two steal the picture) and Sammy Davis jr. as Wino
The film does have it stereo types like most films from this era.
But all in all it is an enjoyable film (may not be for all tastes, because of the mostly male cast). It brought back a time when the most fun after school was watching the same film every day for a week. The DVD from Warner’s was NOT in shrunk wrapped cases and a cheap padded envelope. Not that it was used, it just felt like I brought a rental. I also purchased “The Big House” and the case was chipped.I guess I'm on a prison kick... I’m not complaining, I’m just happy Warner’s realizes the importance of FINALLY releasing some of their golden stash.

Bill
"We're all forgotten sooner or later. But not films. That's all the memorial we should need or hope for."
-Burt Lancaster
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Just got back from UP. Anyone who hasn't seen it, see it.

The secret of Pixar's success - story story story. Every thread in the storyline is tied neatly to every other thread.... and wrapped up in a big bunch of beautiful balloons. it's the kind of moviemaking I have been longing for, and that they just don't do anymore. Except at Pixar. The whole movie is a metaphor..... go see it if you want to know what for. And do bring your kleenex.

Carl Fredricksen is lovely.
Garbomaniac

Post by Garbomaniac »

Allison, I have Susan Lenox on VHS, so it should be available.

And, by the way, I started on Thursday night and went into the following Wednesday, so I did go past the weekend. I just couldn't stop! Ha!