WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
RedRiver

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by RedRiver »

Alright. I know I've been cranky lately. I've simply seen some disappointing movies. May I have one more rant? After this, I promise to be more positive. I rented a video called ROCK OF AGES. I had heard very little about it. Thought it might be a cute little story with music. It's a flat-out musical! A BAD flat-out musical! It takes place in the 1980's. Apparently, the gimmick is using songs from the era. Who needs an original score? This thing is abominable! Awkwardly inserted songs, the worst choreography I've ever seen, a token plot that's overt and unimaginative. There is no reason at all for this movie to have been made.

Here's what I'd like to know. Was this based on a stage play? Was it successful? Do not tell me this insult to the intelligence was a hit on Broadway! One thing stops me from calling it the worst movie I've ever seen. I turned it off after half an hour! Technically, I haven't seen it!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

FLAMINGO ROAD is deliciously sordid! The dingy, carny atmosphere is enthralling. Paired with QUEEN BEE it would make the perfect "Joan Gone Wild" program. Michael Curtiz did some fine work, even in his less famous productions. "Flamingo" is an example of that.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I like Flamingo Road.

I have a friend who keeps telling me I have to see Rock of Ages. But then, she likes Journey.... :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

That's not a friend. It's a torture master!
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

RedRiver wrote:That's not a friend. It's a torture master!
You know, more and more I begin to see this....
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

Red, you're not cranky, there's a fair few movies and performers who I've just not got or felt dissappointed about. We can't pick right everytime and we can't always appreciate what others here appreciate. I for one am glad it's not just me being cranky, I hadn't noticed you being cranky, I thought it was just me from time to time.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

In all fairness, there's a lot to crank about!
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

SSO is pretty quiet today. That's OK. We all have other things to do. But I miss the dialogue when it's lacking. See you tomorrow!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

I saw "Frankenweenie" (2012) today.

I loved it. I left my comments at the science fiction/horror thread. But I think this is one of Tim Burton's best.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I saw "Argo" Saturday. Pretty good movie. It was tense. The period details were good. It was good to see some older movie/TV stars. Frankly, there were times it was pretty funny. There were times it was scary. Some of it at the end may generate some questions but I'd say of anything about that period interests you go see it.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

RedRiver wrote:In all fairness, there's a lot to crank about!
There is that.

I'm glad Frankenweenie hit's the spot, I'm sure my kids will want to watch it.
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

As for Argo, Chris...was it supposed to be funny, or was it unintentional?
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

I'm intrigued by FRANKENWEENIE. I'm usually disappointed in a Burton film. This one just might be my style.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

"Argo" was supposed to be funny. It is more the lines delivered. Mostly it was courtesy of Alan Arkin and John Goodman. Some of the Hollywood end of it is where the humor was used.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

"UNTIL THEY SAIL" ends Joan Fontaine's day:

First off, I can't believe that all four of these girls play sisters. And it seems like this movie is just about "hooking up" during the war while husbands are in the military. Each sister deals with the "loneliness" in their own way. Piper Laurie is the sultry one. Joan Fontaine is the stuck up, judgmental, decent one. Sandra Dee is a fourteen year old, so this little guppy is thrown back in the water...and Jean Simmons sound like Audrey Hepburn and will have to show the will power of Mother Teresa NOT to fall for Paul Newman.

* Picture posted by Mongo II - September 9th.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com