WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Judith, as much as I really like Maltese Falcon, I thought Mary Astor was the most unattractive "hottie" ever. That was the first time I had seen her in a movie. Imagine my surprise to find her as a lovely, intelligent woman in Dodsworth. And the chemistry between Ms. Astor and Bogart in Across the Pacific is, as you say, electric. Some of the innuendo is so funny and "naughty", you wonder how it slipped past the censors. :lol: :lol:
"Life is not the way it's supposed to be.. It's the way it is..
The way we cope with it, is what makes the difference." ~ Virginia Satir
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

knitwit45 wrote:Judith, as much as I really like Maltese Falcon, I thought Mary Astor was the most unattractive "hottie" ever. That was the first time I had seen her in a movie. Imagine my surprise to find her as a lovely, intelligent woman in Dodsworth. And the chemistry between Ms. Astor and Bogart in Across the Pacific is, as you say, electric. Some of the innuendo is so funny and "naughty", you wonder how it slipped past the censors. :lol: :lol:
Too right, Knitty. It's a constant puzzlement to most of us Falcon fans as to why Astor and Bogart were so unharmonized in Falcon, and why Astor just couldn't seem to get herself around her role in it. What did John Huston do for his actors in the latter movie that he was unable to do in the former? The screenplays are equally as good, I think, although different. I guess everyone has their "off" days.
charliechaplinfan

Post by charliechaplinfan »

I spent an enjoyable evening yesterday watching The Adventures of Errol Flynn with reminisces from, amongs others, Olivia De Havilland and Vincent Sherman. I've alway been a fan of Errol Flynn but I'd forgotten how much of an adventurer and a roisterer he was. Thankfully this programme dismissed the ludicross Nazi sympathiser label and concentrated on his adventures, his screen career and tried to get to the man behind the actor. I very much enjoyed it but then I only have to see Errol FLynn to smile.

One other thing that really struck me. What was Jack Warner doing letting Errol Flynn become a war correspondent in the Spanish civil war?
Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself - Charlie Chaplin
Sue Sue Applegate
Administrator

Post by Sue Sue Applegate »

I loved I MARRIED A WITCH. Susan Hayward looks so glamorous in that white number with the shoulder pads as Wally's fiance. She had a juicy
part in that one, Klondike.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

My son and I went to see AN AMERICAN CAROL, the Airplane-like spoof with Leslie Nielsen and a one-Zucker producer that parodied the film industry, Michael Moore, and American values. Kelsey Grammer had a great kind of Toy Story role as 3rd Army Patton, but Jon Voight's appearance shines as the true tour de force. It takes your breath away. And no, I won't spoil it by saying any more about it.
But for me, the Voigt screentime was worth the exhorbitant price of admission.
Blog: http://suesueapplegate.wordpress.com/
Twitter:@suesueapplegate
TCM Message Boards: http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/ ... ue-sue-ii/
Sue Sue : https://www.facebook.com/groups/611323215621862/
Thelma Ritter: Hollywood's Favorite New Yorker, University Press of Mississippi-2023
Avatar: Ginger Rogers, The Major and The Minor
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Last night, my daughter and I watched "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." I had seen only part of it before.

I enjoyed it a lot. Yes, "On the Town" which has most of the same people utterly put this one in the shade, but "Ballgame" is still a lot of fun. I enjoyed the "balcony scene" between Sinatra and Williams, and when Betty Garrett chased Sinatra around the ballpark singing "It's Fate" I really laughed. It is always fun to see Gene Kelly.

The ending was really strong. Not only did the story part of the film end on a great note, with Kelly hitting a home run so he could chase Sinatra around the bases (twice!) but then there is a final musical number in which the four stars appear as themselves and refer to their Hollywood rivals. I had never really seen that in a Freed unit musical before. Anyway, "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" was very enjoyable, and my daughter and I liked it a lot.
jdb1

Post by jdb1 »

I saw Fallen Angel (1945) on Fox yesterday, and I noticed something I hadn't really noticed before: Alice Faye and Dana Andrews get into a double bed together, and neither one of them had a foot on the floor -- they are both supine, close together, and looking very married.

I think Faye is quite good in this; she has an underlying toughness that she didn't show in any of the fluffier stuff she did.
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

jdb1 wrote:
knitwit45 wrote:Judith, as much as I really like Maltese Falcon, I thought Mary Astor was the most unattractive "hottie" ever. That was the first time I had seen her in a movie. Imagine my surprise to find her as a lovely, intelligent woman in Dodsworth. And the chemistry between Ms. Astor and Bogart in Across the Pacific is, as you say, electric. Some of the innuendo is so funny and "naughty", you wonder how it slipped past the censors. :lol: :lol:
Too right, Knitty. It's a constant puzzlement to most of us Falcon fans as to why Astor and Bogart were so unharmonized in Falcon, and why Astor just couldn't seem to get herself around her role in it. What did John Huston do for his actors in the latter movie that he was unable to do in the former? The screenplays are equally as good, I think, although different. I guess everyone has their "off" days.
I'll have to watch Dodsworth. I also thought Astor and Bogart had very little chemistry in The Maltese Falcon. In fact, I thought there was a cold atmosphere about the whole movie. That might have been on purpose.¨

I watched Murder My Sweet again. This is a Phillip Marlowe film where Dick Powell plays the main character. After having watched a lot of Busby Berkley musicals where he appears, it's a thrill to see him play such a cynical character. It brings out a totally different side of him. He doesn't seem as cool and suave as Bogart does. On the other hand he's more fallible, more of a human being.

This film is very disturbing. The character Moose is like something out of a horror movie, the way he looms over the others and seemes to appear out of nowhere when you least expect it. The story is incredibly dark. There is quite a lot of violence. It's a great noir.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Synnove wrote:
I'll have to watch Dodsworth. I also thought Astor and Bogart had very little chemistry in The Maltese Falcon. In fact, I thought there was a cold atmosphere about the whole movie. That might have been on purpose.¨

Synnove, Dodsworth is a true classic. Walter Huston, Ruth Chatterton, Mary Astor, Paul Lukas = a dream cast. Mary Astor is lovely, Walter Huston is incredibly human and Paul Lukas is handsome and a real wastrel. All that being said, it is Ruth Chatterton who absolutely devastates in her portrayal of a woman who cannot accept aging. Please watch this gem as soon as possible, and then check in with your thoughts.

Nancy
""Most people pursue pleasure with such breathless haste that they hurry past it." ~ Soren Kierkegaard
Synnove

Post by Synnove »

:) All right, I'll look for it. I don't know if you can find it in stores here or not, but I'll keep an eye out. It sounds like a great film!

I've become more interested in later film classics from Hollywood's golden age now, anyway. Otherwise I've been pretty zoned in on silents. I appreciate other classics, but I've only begun actively seeking them out now.

I'm going to watch To Kill a Mocking Bird again this afternoon, btw.
knitwit45

Post by knitwit45 »

Great! and perhaps someone here has a copy they could share with you? I don't, or it would be on its way. TCM shows this infrequently, and I always try to catch it. Good Hunting!

Nancy
feaito

Post by feaito »

knitwit45 wrote:Synnove wrote:

Synnove, Dodsworth is a true classic. Walter Huston, Ruth Chatterton, Mary Astor, Paul Lukas = a dream cast. Mary Astor is lovely, Walter Huston is incredibly human and Paul Lukas is handsome and a real wastrel. All that being said, it is Ruth Chatterton who absolutely devastates in her portrayal of a woman who cannot accept aging. Please watch this gem as soon as possible, and then check in with your thoughts.

Nancy
Hedvig,

I completely agree and concur with Nancy. You MUST see "Dodsworth" (1936), as I've stated before it's on my top three list along with "Letter from an Unknown Woman" and "Portrait of Jennie" (both 1948). It is one of the most adult films I've ever seen. Walter Huston gives the best performance of his career; ditto Ruth Chatterton and the rest of the cast is excellent. Besides it was directed by the masterful William Wyler.

I'll send you a p.m. in relation to a copy of this great film.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

Finally got through "Major Dundee." I wasn't terribly thrilled. Except for a couple of battle scenes it was a long slow chase. It seems Heston and Harris couldn't decide what to do with their relationship. Should we be friends or kill each other?

It started promisingly enough but couldn't seem to sustain any tension for me. Heston's rapid fall into despair after his wounding was a bit odd.

I saw the restored version on TCM. Maybe it's me but it was no big deal.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
klondike

Post by klondike »

movieman1957 wrote:Finally got through "Major Dundee." I wasn't terribly thrilled. Except for a couple of battle scenes it was a long slow chase. It seems Heston and Harris couldn't decide what to do with their relationship. Should we be friends or kill each other?

It started promisingly enough but couldn't seem to sustain any tension for me. Heston's rapid fall into despair after his wounding was a bit odd.

I saw the restored version on TCM. Maybe it's me but it was no big deal.
I agree, Chris; in fact, having ridden along on that "long, slow chase" a few times myself, it almost seems to me like the characters contending for camera time therein form their intermittent alliances just because they can't decide who they dislike most: Mexicans? Apaches? Confederate POW's? Bluebelly guards? Sarcastic ex-pat Micks? Heartless Union War commanders?
All in all, despite the "stardust" blowing around, I'd have to say the best moments in Major Dundee are when supporting actors (like R.G. Armstrong) dominate a scene!
MikeBSG

Post by MikeBSG »

Yesterday, I watched C. B. DeMille's "Union Pacific" on DVD. I liked it, and I think it might be my favorite DeMille movie. Certainly it moved with a strength and assurance that made DeMille's "The Buccaneer" seem like an antique. I really liked Barbara Stanwyck, and her conflict between chosing Joel McCrae or Robert Preston was well developed. I wish Brian Donlevy had something more to do than stick his cigar in whiskey. The movie could have done more with him.

In a lot of ways, "Union Pacific" is structured like Ford's "The Iron Horse." Oddly, the talkie fell into the same trap as the silent film. After the big Indian attack, everything that follows is anti-climax. Still, I'd rather watch "Union Pacific" again than "Iron Horse" again.

Today, I watched "Fantastic Voyage." I had never seen this one before. At points, I just whooped with laughter. A secret agent is brought to a special government lab and is told he will be shrunk to microscopic size. he not only accepts the mission without question, but he ends up saving the day as well. Only in the movies.

What saved the movie for me was the realization that Edmond O'Brien's character was the inspiration for Lloyd Bridges' character in "Airplane!" Indeed, it just seemed like Bridges simply copied O'Brien's inflections for most of his scenes.
klondike

Post by klondike »

MikeBSG wrote:
What saved the movie for me was the realization that Edmond O'Brien's character was the inspiration for Lloyd Bridges' character in "Airplane!" Indeed, it just seemed like Bridges simply copied O'Brien's inflections for most of his scenes.
I agree, Mike.
But it sure would've helped the second half of Fantastic Voyage if the beleaguered O'Brien character had also confessed that it was a "bad week to give-up amphetamines"!
Of course, by that point, watching Raquel in that ultra-snug scuba suit had drained most of the arterial blood out of my cranium, so I really can't say for sure what anybody was saying!!