WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Chit-chat, current events
Rita Hayworth

Re: WHAT FILMS HAVE YOU SEEN LATELY?

Post by Rita Hayworth »

The Man Who Never Was - a 1956 War Film

This is one of my Clifton Webb's favorite role as Lieutenant Commander Ewen Montagu who engineered an Operation - known to us as Operation Mincemeat - an effort to fool the Germans in 1943 that the invasion of Sicily will never happen - but it did reduced the German's presence there so that the Allied Forces had better chances of Invasion and helped shorten the War.

It was very well scripted, excellent acting by Gloria Grahame who played Lucy Sherwood - supposed to be married to him did a very touching job of acting to the German Agent played by Stephen Boyd that the attack on Sicily is apparent; and while this going on Montagu stepped in with other British Agents that wants to arrest that man (Boyd) - but he was safe and allowed that German Agent to relay the message that the attack will be made elsewhere. Therefore made it all possible for the Allied to invade Sicily and therefore over 30,000 troops will be saved.

I find this movie very well made and stands the test of time of one of the better movies of World War Two and I was surprised to see a young Geoffrey Keen in this movie playing General Nye in this movie.

Anyway, its a joy watching this movie on Fox Movie Channel today and I just wanted to share a little bit about this excellent movie that I just watched today and its a joy seeing Clifton Webb in a masterful job portraying Lieutenant Commander Ewen Montagu in this film back in 1956.
movieman1957
Administrator

Post by movieman1957 »

I've enjoyed that movie too. I think it is one of Webb's more understated roles. He does well. Overall, I like the film. It can be a bit dry for me but I like the procedural aspects of the film. I do recall thinking that Gloria Grahame's make up was a mess. As I recall she was pretty shiny. It's only a small and insignificant matter.
Chris

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

Loved reading the commentary about "DAISIES" another movie I avoided missed. I am woefully not living up to my own personal credo about watching films. And the maw of regret is waiting for me. Oh I love M-G-M and the Brothers Warner as much as the next film buff. But I'm not pushing and challenging myself enough with films. ACK!!!! :twisted: :twisted:

I was especially moved by Jaxxxon's and Masha's more personal revelations of what they got out of the film. Very very moved in fact. That's what makes the regret a little more poignant, 'cuz I missed out on a film that would allow me to really pull out my own stamp of feeling about it. Not that most films don't...but seems like this film really wanted to elicit and cultivate a personal response from the viewer. I was touched by both your stories.

Great writing ladies.

And Brother Rat writing this:
Where can the director go next? 1) Imitate previous films? 2) Try something completely different? 3) Stop directing altogether?

...stops me dead in my tracks. Whoa! Where does the director go next? Food for thought!

Maybe just a little less MSNBC for me? I admit, I'm addicted to their evening program line-up.
"You build my gallows high, baby."

http://www.megramsey.com
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

Thanks, Maven! I can't imagine how Vera Chytilova could have any more ideas in her head after the smorgasbord of Daisies. But that's probably why she was a filmmaker and I am just a fan. I bet she had limitless ideas for other films too. :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS is good. Always a delight to see the wonderful Clifton Webb.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

JackFavell wrote:Thanks, Maven! I can't imagine how Vera Chytilova could have any more ideas in her head after the smorgasbord of Daisies. But that's probably why she was a filmmaker and I am just a fan. I bet she had limitless ideas for other films too. :D
:) :) :) She can give current filmmakers ideas on how to approach film. I love your newest avatar. Tippi having a smoke ( getting a light ) with her nemesis. :lol:

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I HAD to use that photo for my avatar, it's just wonderful! I love how cool Tippi is here, and the texture of it. Wonder how long it took to get the photo?
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

How long? Well. It depends on how much of a diva Tippi was.

CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

When you have some time, please check out this video:

[youtube][/youtube]

Quite a loving tribute to film.

JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I can't watch the video Maven, it says it's marked private.
CineMaven

Post by CineMaven »

ACK!!! I'm sorry about that. I'm not sure why that is. Sorry.

Fossy

Post by Fossy »

All That Heaven Allows (1955)

I must confess that I am a sucker for a good love story, and this is a love story par excellence.

Jane Wyman is a widow. One day she meets the gardener( Rock Hudson), who, unknown to her has been taking care of the tree pruning, etc. Rock took over the gardening business when his father died, some three years before. She offers him lunch. Her friend (Agnes Moorhead) was supposed to stay for lunch so there was plenty. He stayed briefly, but from there, romance blossomed, and they decided to marry. Jane also fell in love with an old mill on rock`s property, and Rock began converting it into a home for them.

However they ran into difficulties. She was rich, and he was not. He was younger than she. He was a gardener (How low can you go). Her children argued that she was betraying their father and how could she consider selling the house which had been in the family for generations. The husband of a friend decided that, being a widow, she must be missing out on something, and he offered his services. After it was discovered that she had spent a weekend at Rock`s house, her friend`s husband became more insistent. Jane was not Miss prim and proper after all. So why shouldn`t he get in for his chop? And it was discovered that Rock was doing her gardening while her husband was still alive (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). It didn`t matter that she did not know.

With all this pressure building up Jane called off the engagement. Then her daughter announced that she was to marry, and her son, if he missed the call up, would be taking up a scholarship to study in France. Why didn`t Mum sell the house?, it was too big for her anyway.

Close to a breakdown, she was examined by a doctor friend, who told her there was nothing wrong with her and to go and make up with Rock. She called on Rock, but he was not home. Rock saw her and fell down an escarpment as he tried to stop her leaving, and was injured.

Jane left, but found out about it later, and moved in hoping that he would awake from his coma. He did, and she made it clear that she was here to stay, and it no longer mattered what anyone had to say.
JackFavell

Post by JackFavell »

I just LOVED All That Heaven Allows, Fossy. I only saw it for the first time a month or so ago. It totally grabbed me, I FELT this one. Plus, it's beautifully filmed, in muted pastels, just gorgeous.

And who wouldn't want to live in that mill house? :D
RedRiver

Post by RedRiver »

Fine Douglas Sirk melodrama. Unabashedly emotional, in an "If you don't like it, too bad" way! The much compared FAR FROM HEAVEN is just as good. I am just fine with a little soap!